Check School Announcements at: http://friendlyhsdailyannouncements.blogspot.com/

Monday, February 6, 2012

How Old to Get a Cell Phone?

How old were you when you got your first cell phone?

Click Here

Do you think kids need cell phones? How old do you think a kid should be before they need one? What is the main purpose of having a cell phone? How do cell phones serve as distractions for kids?

65 comments:

Kevin A. Ruiz 1A said...

Kevin A. Ruiz 1A

1. Do you think kids need cell phones?
- I think kids need some way to access a parent in an instant. In a world as crazy as today, kids are easily manipulated and abducted. A cell phone would be more of an assertion of the child's safety.

2. How old do you think a kid should be before they need one?
- As soon as a parent is comfortable with letting the responsibilty lie with someone else other than themselve, I believe that is when a child is able to have a cell phone.

3. What is the main purpose of having a cell phone?
- The main purpose of having a cell phone is to have access to anybody. Also a cell phone gives someone a sense of security. To be able to have access to anyone at anytime is a very comforting feeling.

4. How do cell phones serve as distraction for kids?
- Anything small and cool will be a distraction for a child so a cell phone would serve as a distraction. It is up to the parent to make sure the child knows not to use it during school and when it is appropriate to use it.

Tarik Smith 1A said...

I think that kids should have cell phone but at a age limit. I say 11 an up because now days kids ride and catch the bus to schoo. So they can call how home let somebody know when they are coming home or were they are goin.

Anonymous said...

Elijah Powell
3B

I think kids should have cell phones because things may occur and kids need to talk to someone or their parents.Things always pop up and parents wants to know if their kids are okay.There shouldnt be a age to me and my mind.If that child knows how to use a cell phone then it doesn't matter.Cell phones do have negatives to them.It can get them in trouble during school by throwing them off track of if someone else like that person phone,the may take it.

MarquissAsiaa ' said...

I Think You Should Wait Till Your Child Is Atleast In Middle School , Unless You Have The Case Natasha Had. She Had A Busy Schedule And Needed TO Contact Her Parents As Her Schedule Started TO change . At Such A Young Age You Are Influenced By Your Peers So You Should Wait A While Before You Get Your Child A Ceelphone.

Marquis Anbaz
Period: 2Bday

Anonymous said...

i think kids that are like 10-13 should have a cell phone because they want to be able to contact there parents when something is wrong or they need help with certain things, before kids need a cell phone they need to be atleast 10-13 the age where they know how to use electronics. cell phones serve as a distraction to kids because they will end up texting in class, and wont be able to finish there work while they have one. Deaunte Watson 4A

Antoinette Mason 1B said...

I do think TEENAGE kids need cellphone for social reasons since its that time of age, and to contact parents when theyre away from them. A child should atleast be 16 before they recieve a cell phone. The main purpose of a cell phone is to communicate. It can be a bit of a distraction due to the fact its been upgraded and now kids can go on the internet and other pleasurable features.

Ebony Thornton said...

NO i dont not believe they should have them.Why? Because some kids begin to believe that they are grown.I personally think at a certain age like around the 10 its okay.Even though i did not have a cell phone until the age 13 and didnt want it, i think cell phones are good for safety reasons. I dont know other peoples real main reason for a cell phone but they are for communication and thats what i use mine for. Cell phones serve as many distractions like kids texting while in class,being on the internet,kids want to compete with each other and also kids phones tend to get stolen.

Anonymous said...

in mt opinion it depends if kids need a phone you have to know your child if she/he is good or bad and you need to know the community. i think that the best age for a child to have a cell phone is 12/13 because in that age they are starting to become more mature. the main purpose of having a cell phone is to communicate, and socialize especially with your parents because they have to check on you. cell phones might work as distractions for kids by them playing games, listening to music, or texting with people.
belky carbajal
period: 4A

Anonymous said...

I think kids should have cell phones because the type of enviroment we leave in now kids need to call or text there parents to let them know were they are and everywhere they go and also who they are with. I think 10 years old should have cell phones this age is suitable for a child to have a cell phone because this is the age where the child seems to become more active. The main purpose of a child having a phone is to alert the parent of there every move. I think a cell phone is a distraction driving wise but a child below the age of 14 shouldnt be driving.Its more of a distraction for teens. Danielle May 1a

MaverickC. 2A said...

I think kids dont need a cell phone until they are 13 that way they might have the responsibility they need in order to take care of the cell phone. The real purpose for having a cell phone was to be able to have a way to communicate with someone you dont have a chance to communicate with. Also, it is to be used for emergencies when you dont have access to the phone when an emergency takes place etc. Cell phones are one of the biggest distraction in school next to people because kids listen to play games, listen to music, text, talk to friends, browse the internet with a cell phone.

TehyaP said...

I think children should have cell phones in case of an emergency or something. I'm not talking about letting them have an iPhone or an android. They should have a prepaid phone that they can use to call someone if they are in need at least until they reach middle school. I think the age of 12 is a good age to have a real phone with texting and all that. The main purpose of having a phone is to contact a person when they are far away. But cell phones can also be a distraction if they are being used in school.

Thomas 1B said...

I think in some cases children should have cell phones depending on how busy they are as well as thier parents. I believe when entering middle school that is the right time to have a cell phone. Cell phones are for people who need to make and recieve calls away from home and not specifically a call any form of communication, a cell phone would help. Cell phones can become a distaction because of raging hormones and bullies because of a "he say she say" situation done over the phone.

Anonymous said...

I think kids need cell phones at around 11 or twelve because now a days kids are more mature for their age compared to how we were. I had my first cell phone at about 8 or 9 years old and wasn't responsible enough for them until I was about 13. I would break them on purpose when i got bored with them and get another and repeating. Cell phones are extremely a distraction because of social networks also they are dangerous. Cell phones are good too because I feel as though where ever your child go, school, work, daycare, etc. They are in some type of danger. Cell phones make it easier to communicate with them to see if they are alright.
- Donyah B. 4A

Anonymous said...

i think it doesn't really matter because kids are really smart and don't nesscrily care about phone and might need it to for emerencys jamal hailey 2b

Anonymous said...

No I don’t think kids should have cell phones. I think a child should be able to receive a cell phone at the age of 13 and up or when their parents think that they can handle the responsibilities of have cell phone, because kids are very careless. The main purpose of a kid having a cell phone is for emergency’s only, because parents do have the right to know where their kids are at all times. To me cell phones are a distraction to kids because when they’re in class they might get bored and decide to text a friend or even play game.

Acquila Robertson
Per 3b

Micah Peele 1-A said...

I think kids need cell phones but not before age 12. To me the main reason for having a cell phone is to keep in contact with friends and family but at a young age they shouldn't have anybody to keep in touch with but their family. Cell phones would serve as distractions for kids because the kids would rather txt than do their homework.

Hafiza Memon said...

The best age to get a cell phone would be 13+ to me. In middle school I think it's okay for a child to have a cell phone for emergency basis. Many times kids tend to get themselves into situations and this will be just more of a distraction to them. The main purpose of having a cell is for emergencies and keep in contact with others.

BossManJuan said...

i think a child should get a cell phone like n the six grade because that's when children start to become more independent like walking to school staying home by their selves and going out by themselves to like the park or something. another reason is what if their was an emergency at school or anywhere where the child is at and they dont have any contact to emergency officials then something bad might happen.

Anonymous said...

I think that now days kids should have cell phone's because there is a lot happening in the worlds today and having a cell phone helps in a lot of ways. Before a child need a cell phone he/she should be at least 11/12 years old where they start socializing with others more. The main purpose of having a cell phone is too keep in connect with friends/family and being aware of whats going on in their daily lives, like in the article Natasha's mom stated that "We send pictures or videos of what we are doing back and forth. We wish each other good luck. We are always within reach of each other" this is why a lot of people provide their children with cellar phones. Cell phone serve as distractions for kids when it comes to school work and safety when crossing streets etc.

-Kristen Young
1B

Steven Turrentine 1A said...

Yes i believe that kids/children need a cell phone because of the fact that they would need to keep in touch with their parents if they are staying after school for an school activity or school event. I personally think a child should have a cell phone at the age of twelve. A cell phone would serve as an distraction because of the internet thats on the phone, the music that could be downloaded, the games that could be played and etc.

Mercedes 1A said...

I do think kids need cellphones because they can stay in contact with a parent or family member if they evern are in truoble or in need of help. I believe that a child should be at least 10 or 11 when they get a phone, even thought I didnt get one until I was 16. But I feel like kids are more free and raom around places in this time. I believe the main purpose for kids is to talk to friends but for parents its to reach their children when they are not around. They serve as a distraction because they want to text in school instead of paying attention or when they get home they wont do their homework because of their phones.

Arnold Simmons 1A said...

i was 10 years old when i got my first cell phone. I think kids only need cell phones to communicate with their family. a kid should be 8 years old before they have one. The main purpose is to always be able to call somebody. cell phones serve as distractions by kids playing games and surfing the internet on them

Anonymous said...

-Taqiyyah Recio
- Yes i Think Kids Should be able to have phone just in case of a emergency or something happens.
- i Think Kids Should get a cell phone when they hit second grade .
-The main purpose of having a cell phone is being able to contact your parents if sommething happen and your parents be able to locate you if they cant find you.

Anonymous said...

I do believe children should have cellphones with them at all times. The main reason they should have a cellphone is simply because we need to have communication with our parents for safety reasons. If there's ever a time you missed your school bus or you walk home and your friends decide to ditch you per say, it's very important our parents know where we are, who we were with or are with at that time. There has been several reports on the news about sexual rapists and walking somewhere alone is a very nessasary need for the use of a cellphone.
Karisa Johnson 4A

Anonymous said...

Maurice Nicholson 3B

Certian kind of kids sometimes need cell phone. It depend on where they live and if they walk to school and back. The child should be atleast 11 years old because they are getting older and more mature. For a kid that just got a phone, the main purpose for the cell phone is to call for emergency and for calling friends or something.With alot of games and the internet, cell phones will become a major distraction for children.

Danielle McCoy 1B said...

a good age for kids to have cell phones is between 10-13. as becoming a teenager,you may face many different situations that lead to a negative outcome and you should reach someone in case of emergency.since there is access of games and the internet on cell phones,it can also become a major distraction for children.

Dale Cole 1B said...

I think kids should be allowed a phone at an early age to understand it's workings. However if they receive a phone at like age 9-10 it should be a phone meant for calling and emergency purposes only. No gaming ads or phone apps should allowed on the phone to further build responsibility in the child, and it will help them understand the purpose of having a phone is for contact purposes. Then once they are older and more responsible they can have apps.

Anonymous said...

How old should a child be to get a cellular device?I feel every child should have an in case of emergency phone but strictly that. Because kids attempt to act grown a little to fast. Which may lead to a distraction especially if they have a more advanced phone with apps etc. Besides they should just be monitored by their parents/guardians at all times if their a child.

Anonymous said...

i didnt get my first cell phone till i got in high school. i dont think kids need a cell phone till middle school because middle school is the years when you start to do things like maybe some after skool activities or go out places with friends. thats when you should have a cell phone so your parents know where u are
XAVIER DENNIS

Anonymous said...

yes kids do need phones because it is alot of things that go on in the world and we need phone and adults say its a distraction but they act like they dont have phones of there own they also can make it easier for kids to get in contact with their parents

KEVIN HOLSTON 2B

Diamond Nicholas said...

Yes i do think that kids need cell phones because you never know weather or not they are in trouble and what ever age they are able to use a cell phone i think that they should have one just in case of an emergency

KaTrina Baker said...

Yes, i think kids need cell phones because there could be an emergency and there parents may need to reach them. I think a kid should be 13 or 14 before they get their first phone. The main purpose of having a phone is for EMERGENCIES !!!! Also to talk to family far away. Cell Phone serve as distraction beacuse , some people just talk and text all day. Most tweet while their in class. Cell phones can get you in trouble because it could get you in trouble , or someone could be bullying someone else threw technology. Also kids could be sending things to people and they may think its cute but all your business could get spreaded and you dont want that.

3B

Anonymous said...

I honestly do think it's important now a days for kids to have cellphones. When kids first remember telephone numbers that's when they should have their phones just in case of an emergency. The main purpose of having a phone is to call people anywhere and anytime, unlike a house phone. Kids are sometimes distracted by cellphones because they only use it for texting and internet. People use their phone throughout the entire day and children sometimes neglect their homework and responsibilities. With cellphones,grades go down, but you can ensure that you're protected.

- Danyelle Perry 3B

Anonymous said...

I honestly do think it's important now a days for kids to have cellphones. When kids first remember telephone numbers that's when they should have their phones just in case of an emergency. The main purpose of having a phone is to call people anywhere and anytime, unlike a house phone. Kids are sometimes distracted by cellphones because they only use it for texting and internet. People use their phone throughout the entire day and children sometimes neglect their homework and responsibilities. With cellphones,grades go down, but you can ensure that you're protected.

- Danyelle Perry 3B

Anonymous said...

To me I think you should be in the 5th to get a cell phone probably not a real cell phone but like a prepaid cell phone in the 5th and upgrade to a real one in the 6th. Kids do need cell phones though if there in a troubled situation like a fight or got kidnapped. Having a cell phone helps you contact who ever you need to during an emergency.The distratcion would be texing. \
KAYLA MITYCHAM 3B

Jarrel Bailey said...

I think that kids deserve phones because in case if they get lost or somebody tries to take them away. They could call for help. I don't think having a phone can be a distraction because what could they really be doing on a phone except play the game if they got a good phone. I highly doubt them texting anybody except for their parents. So I think it is okay for kids to have phones.

Taj Tobin said...

12,the age limit should be 12. I saw a six year old with an iphone. Im like you six what do you need it for. I think that it destracts kids below the age of 10. so that is my opinion on the matter.

Taj Tobin 3B

Virgil 4A said...

ALL Kid's Need A Cell Phone. Starting At 12 Because I Don't Know About ALL Parents But If I Was A Parent I Would Wan't To Be Able TO Call My Child While Im At Work Or Text Them. Cell Phones Might Cause A Distraction But Then Again It Might Not.

Aaron Smith 1B said...

In my opinion I feel that kids should have cellphones to contact their parents or guardians in any situation because anything could happen in the world today. I think kids should be given cellphones around the age of 9 or 10 around the time when their social life really starts to develop. The main purpose of having the cell phone is to be able to get in contact with people when needed. Cell phones can serve as a distraction in school or in other important situations.

Viviana Guerrero 1A said...

1. Do you think kids need cell phones? Yes, i think that kids need cell phones in case of emergencys.

2. How old do you think a kid should be before they need one? I think that a kid should be old enought to have the responsibility of having a cell phone.

3. What is the main purpose of having a cell phone? The main purpose of having a cell phone is to communicate with others and is the main thing you can use in case of an emergency.

4. How do cell phones serve as distractions for kids? Cell phones are distractions to kids specially when they are in school because they might be playing with their cell phones instead of paying attention to the teacher.

Anonymous said...

Dontonio Burdette2B: i think kids should have cell phones around 6 and 7 and older cell phones are distractions in school but teachers can handle that. The main purpose of a cell phone is for emergencies that u might have so you can call somebody. But I think kids can have cell phones whenever they are ready.

Samira Best 2B said...

I think kids should get there first cell phone at age 7. i say tthins because now a days a lot of kids go places by theirself and cell phones will help you know there safe. the main purpose of kids havin cell phones are to contact the parents or important people.

Anonymous said...

To me, I feel that a child at 11 should have a cell phone ONLY for emergencies. At the time of 13, they can have the access to use it to talk to friends, play games, etc. If kids were to officially have a 3G/4G phone, for instance, they would download all these game apps that are supposed to be paid or not. whether that is the case or not, kids will be constantly be on their phone talking to friends for hours & constantly play these games that they download and such.

Kelly Catama: 2B said...

my comment ^

RaVon D. said...

Yes and no because today its a so much going on to the point they need one but not no iphone ive seen kids with iphones.a kid should get a phone about atleast the 5th or 6th grade if younger they th=should get a phone that only calls a certain number.having a cell phone is for communication and for safety if you need to call the cops. Its a distraction because now a days kids take their phones to school and just text while their in clase, but if they was using them as a way to learn thats different

William R 2A said...

Yes I Really Think Kids Need A Phone Because Sometimes Kids Can Be Out On Their Own And Then If An Emergecy Comes Up They Can Dail Their Parents Or 911 For Help. But I Think The Parents Should Choose When Their Child Shoud Get A Phone. The Avarage Kid Starts To Go Out On Their Own Is Probably 4th Or 5th Grade. But Now And Days You Should Probably Get A Phone Like 7th Or 8th Grade Because Of Destractions They Can Make In Class.

ChristianJohnson2BContinued said...

I got my first cell phone when I was 12. To be honest I just got it because I saw everyone else getting them and I felt left out. I think I was too young to have a cell phone looking back on it but it taught me responsibility, discipline, and how to care for valuable things. And in my case nothing bad happened so it worked out for me. Though I know this isn't the case always. Kids can get bullied through cell phones and even picked on if they have a cheap one. I think a kid should be 14 when they are able to get a phone. A lot of people are not responsible with things like that, and they might send naked pictures which is inappropriate. Cell phones are really for emergencies so I don't know why young kids would need them. And finally I know they can distract kids from doing the things that they should be doing like homework and chores around the house. I think kids having a cell phone at a young, tender age like 12 and below is wrong. Well, not in my case :) .

Diamond Murphy 1A said...

Yes I think kids should have cell phones in case off emergency. There are some crazy people in this world and you should know where your child at all times of the day. A child should be about 9 years old when they get their first cell phone. The main purpose of the phone is to contact your kids at all times if anything happens. It could distract your kids when their in school during class time.

Danae NayNay said...

I think that depending on the situation at times kids need cell phones and then other times they don't. I think the kid should be at least 12 years old when they get a cell phone. That's when I got mine and it was because of certain things. The main purpose of having a cell phone is communicating with either your family and your friends. To me the main reason is just in case an emergency happens and there's not a phone in sight. Cell phones can become a distraction because of texting. When your texting most of the time kids really don't pay attention of their surroundings and they just pay attention at all. When something like that happens it can turn out to be dangerous because anything can happen.

Brandon Lee 2a said...

I Can Say When I Was A Kid, All I Wanted Was A Cell Phone Cause I Saw My Older Siblings With One. But I Dont Think Kids Should Have One At A Early Age Because Their Only Gonna lose Or Break It After A Couple Of Weeks. I Think At The Age Of 13 Or 14 A Kid Needs A Cell Phone To Stay In Contact With Their Parents And Peers, And That Is Also The Age That Kids Start Their Social Life So A Cell Phone Will Defiantly Be Needed

Pico Cross said...

I think kids should have a cell phone at the minimum age of 12. So they can have at least have some knowledge on how to use a phone. Because technology is getting better and better. And after awhile it would be hard to use if your at a young age.

Rayven Jones 2A said...

I think kids do need cell phones. I don't its a certain age a kid should get a cell phone because everybody life is not like others and some are busier then others. The main purpose of a cell phone is for communication, another way to talk to each other with out actually speaking. Cell phones can be a distraction because something kids want to communicate at the wrong times and something they use phones to do negative things instead of positive.

Anonymous said...

i agree that kids do need cell phones. i think once a child becomes responsible he/she should get one. there are plenty of ways to restrict and monitor your childs cell phone use now a days. i also think cell phones are needed in case of emergencies

marques malone

Mia Watson 1B said...

I think kids do need cell phones. I think kids as young as 9 should possess cell phones in case they are ever in trouble. Also if the child is lost they can use the GPS tracker to find them. The main purpose is for communication purposes. Cell phones are distractions when playing games and talking to friends.

Anonymous said...

I think kids don;t need cell phones. Now a days I would see an 11 year-old with an I-phone. An I-phone! Kids should t least be in middle school and be around 13 or 14. The main purpose of having a cellphone is for communication, but if kids would want a cellphone, it should be for emergencies where hey can only call mom and dad in case of emergencies. Cell phones serve as distractions for kids because kids may get into the texting habit and might apply texting as part of their daily routine, for example texting during class.

Daniel Munibez 2a

Maria Vega said...

It depends, if your 10 and your already involed with after school activities like sports.. Then yea you might need a phone. But if your not then no then might not need one. It does sometimes come to people wanting one instead of them needing one but then that would be the arents decision to get one for their child. Like they did in this case.

Anonymous said...

yes I Think That Kids Now Needs Cell Phones. I Think Between The Ages Of 8-10 years Old.The Main Purpose of having A Cell Phone Is For Emergencies.






KaylaFaulk:3B

Jade said...

I think little kids can live without a cell phone. reason being , I lived with out a cell phone at a young age, and generations before ours lived without cell phones. I don't think little children ages 1-10 need cell phones simply because it is much easier for a kid to get robed then somebody that is older. if a thief were to see your child walking from home or just simply playing on the side walk with his/her cell phone, there is no doubt in my mind they would attempt to hurt that child in order to steal their phone. Not only that but children not knowing any better would give their numbers out to just about anybody.

Jade Ellis 3B

Anonymous said...

I think children should have a cell phone when they are around 7 years old for saftey reasons knowing how are generation is now i think it will be safe for kids to have a cell phone to contact there parents if they need it.Kids automatically get distracted with cell phones by playing games on it texting there friends or not paying attention to what there are doing and that makes them an easy target.

Autumn Woods
1A

Anonymous said...

I got my first phone for x-mas when i was in seventh grade my parents gave it to me for emergencies only. I think that they do but parents should have control of what they can do with their phone. I think that the right age for a child to get a cell phone is when they get to the seventh grade. My parents tell me that the main purpose of me having a phone is for calling them in-case something comes up or to inform them were i am. Cell phone are a distraction for any child in school at home basically anywhere even in church the child will be busy txting and won't pay attention to what he/she is being told.

*^Paula Ramos 4-A*^

Airy tilghman 1B said...

I believe that children should have cell phones for emergencies, i say this because the world today is crazy. Anything can happen to anybody at anytime and parents need to be alerted. I think children should have a phone when the parents think they need one. the purpose of a cell phone is to reach anyone at anytime. cell phone gives someone a sense of security. cell phones serve as distraction for kids if they bring them to school & play with them during class time. & if they use them more than they do their homework.

Anonymous said...

Domonique Moore 2A
Yes kids do need cellphones because now a days we have kidnappers and parents need to be aware of were their child is at all times. When your a kid not losing your phone is a big responsibility I no cellphones are expensive but you can buy your child a cheap flip phone. Phones can be dangerous but at the same time they come in handy. A kid should be atleast 10 and there phone should be used for emergency purposes

clarissa said...

I think kids should and should not have cell phones. I say yes because pareants need to know where are they at just to make sure. I also say no because kids dont need it or because they can be texting random people they dont know. I think a kid should have a cell phone when they start high school. You need a cell phone to contact 911 or thier parents because some teachers at school dont let them use thier phones at school. I think cell phones distracts kids because they use it during class when they no suppose to.

CLARISSA HERNANDEZ 4A

Anonymous said...

1. I do not think kids need cell phones if they aren't without a trusted adult 24/7.
2. I think the best ages for a cell phone would be 11 or 12. This age is getting the appropriate independence.
3. The main purpose of a cell phone is to contact a needed person at anytime.
4. Now and days, cell phones get distracting to kids because of the many features that are obtained by them. Children get consumed with all of the texting and the games.

I'mUptown_ said...

Terrell Proctor
2A

I Believe that kids do need cell phones because many kids are being abducted by adults and if they are taken then they can call their parents and tell them where they are or your parents could track your phone to find you too. I believe that a kid should be at least around 13 (responsible age). The only way how cell phones become distractions is if they are using it in classes.

1/28/12