Check School Announcements at: http://friendlyhsdailyannouncements.blogspot.com/

Monday, February 6, 2012

2012

Who HASN'T heard that the world is supposed to end this year!? This article dissects the issue:

Read Here

Why do people think the world is going to end?  How are people profiting from this theory that the world is going to end soon? How do the theorists believe the world will end? What is your opinion?? Remember to use quotes and details from the article to support your response!



52 comments:

David Barr 2a said...

I think the idea of the world ending at the end of this year was brought to us to soon for people to really be worried about the world ending. The rumor of 2012 was brought to us in 2010. PeoPle went crazy about it the first few months they even made a movie about it but the long lay off between 2010 and 2012 gave people a chance to do research or just fOrget about it in general. Rumors of the world ending got people taking risks and doing things they never thought they would do. I think the world won't end on December 21st 2012 or any time in our lifetime I believe god has it planned when he will destroy his creation and I do t think anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

Tarik Smith 1A

I think peoele is getting the idea that the world is goint to end. I say becuase of the move they made and how the weather is keep changing. I think the world is goin not goin to end unless God tell us it is that how i think.

Anonymous said...

to me people think the world is going to end because of the stories people are telling about the mayans and how they made a calander that tells when the world will end, also people think the world will end because of how the scientists are saying all this stuff about planets hitting are earth, massive earthquakes, supervolcanoes and all this other stuff. personaly i dont think the world will end anytime soon because nobody really knows when the world is going to end. Deaunte Watson 4A

Ebony Thornton said...

The people believe that the world is going to end because of the Mayan "long count calendar. This calendar and an exact date and a certain amount of years which was some type of cycle which had 394 years and was called baktun. People are making all types of profits from this belief, some are making books,movies,countdown clocks, have websites and etc. Even NASA is contacted often about the end of the world,questioning their lives. Many believe there will be a doomsday on December 21,2012 and the Mexico tourism industry believes that 52 million will visit places like Quintana Roo, Campeche, Chiapas, and Yucatan. And other events are supposed to happen this day. Honestly i dont not believe on bit of this while happen, i mean those who believe it will happen will do those thins that they plan to do but i sure will be walking around with a smile because im still here.

Ebony Thornton said...

The people believe that the world is going to end because of the Mayan "long count calendar. This calendar and an exact date and a certain amount of years which was some type of cycle which had 394 years and was called baktun. People are making all types of profits from this belief, some are making books,movies,countdown clocks, have websites and etc. Even NASA is contacted often about the end of the world,questioning their lives. Many believe there will be a doomsday on December 21,2012 and the Mexico tourism industry believes that 52 million will visit places like Quintana Roo, Campeche, Chiapas, and Yucatan. And other events are supposed to happen this day. Honestly i dont not believe on bit of this while happen, i mean those who believe it will happen will do those thins that they plan to do but i sure will be walking around with a smile because im still here.

DanielSeay1A said...

People think the world is going to end because the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 and "conspiracy theorists keep it alive — in many cases, for profit. Interest in the Mayan calendar dates back to the 1960s, when various New Age authors predicted that Dec. 21, 2012, would usher in a new era of cosmic peace and understanding".

gabrielle griffin said...

People think that the world is going to end because the mayans predictied that the world would end on december 21. People are profiting from this because people might think that they only have a year to do whatever they haven't done before, or they want to get whatever they want so they will spend all of the money that they have. Theorists believe that the world will end because they found a stone calendar from the mayans, and theorists think that the mayans are stating the truth. I think that the world will not end on december 21, 2012 because if i was a mayan i could have wrote down the same thing with no proof to back it up, so i think the information is false.

Langston Parker said...

This is a diversion something much worse will happen they are trying to take your attention away from something else.Obama will be the united states last president as he will lead us trough a coming disaster.This is just a profitable date Hollywood made millions from the movie "2012" people need to stop giving in to lies.The world could end any got damn day of this year or when you are reading this.Its bullshit people stop it be concerned with what you are doing now.Are you gonna stop what you are doing and worry about got damn 2012 screw 2012 listen here you should be vigilant but at the same time careful.

TehyaP said...

I believe people did not really take the rumor of the the world ending serious at first but then the story of the Mayans came into play. So some people would think that is some kind of proof that 2012 will me the apocalypse. Their facts are also false because the Mayans didn't predict 2012 was the end that was just when their calender ended. Many people are profiting from this theory. Some are selling 2012 survival kits & reserving place for "doomsday proof bunkers". I however don't believe in this theory and even if it was to happen i think there is no point of spending the remainder of your life worrying about it. Just enjoy life and don't feed into all the rumors.

Abdul-Med Bangura 1B said...

Theories of how and why the world will end were derived from the worries of our common human society. People all around the world are taking notice to their natural surroundings and how they may be affected in the near future. Many people who endorse into the pop-culture idea of the world ending gain profit from buying and selling items that are used as "propaganda" to suffice the human mind. Theorist believe the world will from a change in Earth's polar magnetic force towards the sun, which in turn will cause natural disaster. In my opinion, the theory of the world ending is up to the individuals who perceive it to be true. Evidence has aligned itself with the date December 21st, 2012, yet history has shown that "end of the world" theories may backfire. For example, the 2000 end of the world theory; and most notably, the recent "end of the world" theory last Oct. 17Th, 2011.

Anonymous said...

People think the worlds going to end because all the crazy things that is happening like earthquaks and the weather changing all the time.one theory is they say there is one planet that is hidden behind the sun and will emerge and collide with earth.I say its gods decsion to decided when we are called home no one knows but him.

Autumn Woods
A1

Anonymous said...

my opinion is that people are in over there head and people are really not careing about 2012 i think only god knows when the world will end because he made it. jamal hailey 2b

Michael West said...

Michael West 4A I think people do not know when ihe world is going to end they just make up a lie that people are going to belive and when the time they said comes everyone is dissapointed because teh person who may have had a fantasy is a lier. Nobody is able to know when the world will end.

Anonymous said...

Adam Pinkney 4A

I think people are following the hype that the world is going to end because they can't think for themselves to know that no one knows when the world will end. Only person that knows is God himself. I just think that this is all just a bunch of crap that gets the people talking.

Anonymous said...

I think people are just saying the world will end because thats what the calender said. the same way i believe in god they believe in the calender. when so many people think the world will end in 2012 other people start to follow and believe it to.
1B briah clay

Anonymous said...

People think that the world is going to end because they base their opinions on the Mayan calendar. They believe that because it stopped that the world will cease to exist. People are profiting from the theory with magazines, books, and making underground passageways for when the day comes for 10,000 a head. Theorists believe the world will end by the end of the 13th baktun which ends this year. I personally believe the world will not end this year, the Mayan calendar had to stop eventually.

Tariq Abdullah-2A

Anonymous said...

according to the article people think the would is going to end in 2012 because an acient civilization came up with a calender that ended in december of this year and labeled it as "the end of the world". People are making money off this theory because people who believe the world is really going to end this year are creating bunkers that are suppose to keep them safe from it for alot of money, also there are people who have published information into books regarding the end of the world theories. Some people think that there will be a solar storm that will destroy the earth while others believe the world will end to natural disasters. I think the whole thing is fake because there is no possible way that someone will be able to predict the end of the world according to my Christian beliefs.

Andre Lowery
4A

Anonymous said...

#DonaldMoore #Period4a

People think the world is going to end, because in the year of 2011 we had dramatic happening's like the earthquake, sunami's in phillipines & such , and i doubt that anyone is profiting from telling people that the world is going to end. i think terrorist believe that the world is going to end because in the belif's they believe that there time is coming to a end, because of profit's they believe in.

Anonymous said...

People think the world is going to end because the prediction the Mayans made since their calendar ended on December of this year. People are profiting from this theory by making movies, commercials,articles etc. The theories believe the world will end by global catastrophe, a planet will emerge and collide with earth and a solar storm may affect earth. In my opinion i believe the world will end when it ends, i do not feel that 2012 is the actually day like everyone believes.

-Kristen Young
1B

Arnold Simmons 1A said...

People think the world is coming to a end because the Mayan calendar ends on December 21, 2012. People are profiting from this theory by making movies, commercials, websites, etc.. I really don't believe the world is coming to an end because no one proved this theory and i just don't think the world is coming to an end

Alexis Harper 1A said...

I think people think the world is going to end because of crazy weather changes, global warming, movies (2012) and the big fact that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012. People are profiting from this because they make movies/shows all about the end of the world. Poeple are also Opportunistic Internet retailers that are selling 2012 survival kits, insurance policies, and reserved seating in "doomsday-proof" bunkers. Theorists believe the world will end this year have come up with various scenarios for global catastrophe: massive earthquakes and tsunamis, the eruption of a supervolcano, and the sudden reversal of the earth's poles. My opinon is that it is very strange that all of these global disaters are happening now and they are very rare but I dont think the world is going to end. only God knows when the world will end. The mayans were not Gods, just people that got tired of making calendars and stopped at 2012.

Anonymous said...

Demetrius Lofton 1A says: First of all the world is NOT going to end. How can people from 500,000,000,000,000, years ago know when the world is going to end. It's funny because the Mayans didn't even know when they was going to end. If you didn't know they disappeared without a trace. Look it up if you don't believe me. Dumd people think this is going to happen becuase they don't know any better. They can't think for them selfs so they believe any thing. It is going to end by a massive earthquakes or tsunamis. The eruption of a supervolcano, and the sudden reversal of the earth's poles. NONE OF THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN. I am going to wake up on that day, eat some breakfast, brush my teeth, put some anti-cold clothes on, walk out the house and be like " dan what the hello happen here".

Anonymous said...

- i believe people think the world is going to end soon because we never had a earthquake in Dc or Md , so many people are dying and killing eachother .Also the country is suffering and Global Warming is Not getting no better. My Opinion is that the world not going to end,
TaqiyyahRecio

Anonymous said...

Maybe the reason people believe the world is going to end soon because of not only physical diasters like earthquakes, etc. but maybe just because of society, and global warming. We've barely gotten any snow this winter at all. Or maybe even because of the economy with the bad recession and low jobs. My whole outlook on the situation is there will be no end to the world any time soon. How many times have they said the world would end? They even created a movie "2012". i think it's all a SCARE!
Karisa Johnson 4A

Kayla 1A said...

People think that the world is going to end from listening to the studies of observers of the Mayans. They claim that the Mayans made a calendar and the calendar stopped at December 21, 2012. Keep in mind that the Mayans were apart of a civilization in 2000 B.C. The civilization went into decline after 900. Really, the Mayans just meant that this was going to be the year of peace and understanding. People just want to profit from this theory. There are many ways people are doing so. These methods include books,television shows, movies, and even countdown shows when it gets close to the special date. The theorists believe that the world is going to end by earthquakes, tsunamis, the eruption of a supervolcano, and the sudden reversal of the earth's poles. I absolutely do not believe that the world is going to end
December 21,2012. People just want money. No one knows when the earth is going to end, so I see no point in entertaining this issue.

jasmine j horton said...

jasmine j horton


What i think about this artical is that people this day in age would belive any thing that media make sells on and i do not belive that world will came to an end because we never know. But some people would be saying that science will prove that the world will came to an end and some people have proven science wrong. I also think that it has something to with power if u can trick someone into doing something or even beliveing you will have full control.

Angel Johnson 4A said...

I don't take anyone's opinion on the year 2012 into consideration. No one can see into the future not the Mayans or conspiracy theorists. All of these frantic ideas that have been said and written about the world ending this year is just for entertainment.

Anonymous said...

Maurice Nicholson 3B

I am very tired of hearing the world is going to end this year. The mayans probably didn't finished the calander or something. Only God knows whrn you are going to die and I know that i am NOT going to die on that day. I hope that the people that had made book on this and movie are proven wrong because I wouldn't support a diaster likr that. I don't know why people believe in things like this because alot of people will die if this happen (God forbid).

Dale Cole 1B said...

The Mayans may have predicted the end of the world due to there understandings of astronomy. However what is qualified as the end can always be interpreted differently. It could be age of a new enlightenment, or something new because every ending can have a new beginning. So I do not thing everyone will die, but some form of event will happen.

Anonymous said...

The world was suppose to end in 2000,6-6-06 and lets not forget about the stunts they tried to pull last year(May 6pm 2011) now you want me to believe its going to end this year? Its crazy how some people can come up with any random thought and people actually believe it. I mean we all know the world will end someday,but no man/woman will ever influence me to really believe these rumors. Until the day Jesus Christ himself comes back I feel we should we all be getting our lives together with God and just work to make the world a better place.
Craig Williams 3B

Anonymous said...

i think the world is going to get better why would it end ? and who could predict from some stupid calender that the world is going to end. no one knows when the world is going to end cause the bible says that no man knoweth the day nor the hour . so what ever is all i have to say to them. on the day of decemeber 20 i'm going to be sitting down on my bed watching Bad girls club ! thank you



- Jyleke (:2b

Diamond Nicholas said...

I think the world is going to end because there is so much violence in the world any so many people are poluting and they aren't caring about all that stuff that goes down the sewer and the things that gets clogged up down there.

Anonymous said...

Moises Vargas-alba 3B
To be honest i really don't believe that the world is going to end this year because the world will end god decides it not when people start saying that world is going to end this year or the next

Anonymous said...

Many people think the world is going to end because they believe in superstitions. For me i dont believe the world is going to end cause it doesnt make no sense that it is going to. Theorist said the myans might be correct but there wrong.
3B KAYLA MITCHAM

Anonymous said...

Emmanuel Williams 3B

People think the world will end because the Mayans said it will. I believe God gave life and only God can take it away. Theorist believe the world will end because the Mayans have been around for a long time. Again i believe God gave life and only he can take it away. Not a conspiracy cycle.

Anonymous said...

Emmanuel Williams 3B

People think the world will end because the Mayans said it will. I believe God gave life and only God can take it away. Theorist believe the world will end because the Mayans have been around for a long time. Again i believe God gave life and only he can take it away. Not a conspiracy cycle.

Anonymous said...

Marquis Wright 2A


I don't think the world is gonna end.im tired of hearing that it is,I believe that god will end it when he feels like it

Anonymous said...

Well i understand about how people religous beliefs are, but come on people get real. I am not an atheist I am a scientific Christian That believes that there is some truth to science but one who believes souly in God. For all my lames that believe this you are all stupid. There is no scientific phenomena happening in the earth that will prove me wrong. In the bible God does that the world will end but he didn't give a specific time or date. So this information is debunked. Again I repeat for all of my LAME-OOOOO'S who think the world is going to end regardless of your opinion you are stupid as simple as that good-day.


Taj Tobin- 3B

Aaron Smith 1B said...

People think the world is going to end because of the Mayan Calender. People are profiting off of this idea by buying and selling items that basically encouraging this idea such as making movies and things like that. In my opinion I don't think that this theory is true or correct because of past theories being inaccurate but I also believe that God gave us life so only he can take it away.

Shannon 2A said...

People think the world is going to end because of what the Mayans "predicted". It is ridiculous how people are selling survival kits to protect themselves with. I don't know when the worlds is going but I believe the world is going to end when God says he is ready for the world to end. I really hate how people are trying to be God and predict when the world is ending. This wouldn't be the first time that they said the world would end. So I believe the world will end when God Himself say it will.

Anonymous said...

Marcus Lindsay 2a

I think it's absurd to believe that man can predict when the world is going to end let alone an exact time and day we can't even accurately predict the weather so who can we predict the end of the world. The Mayans were really smart for their time period but we should not live our lives based on the beliefs of a group of people who had some barbaric rituals. But to each his own you have the right to believe what you want no matter how absurd it may seem.

kyle javier 1A said...

I think people think the world is going to end because the Mayan culture was a very smart civilization,for example creating mathematical systems creating very symmetrical structures. People are profiting from this event by selling emergency supplies specifically for this event. Theorist believe the world will end for renewing peace and some believe its a Armageddon. I think that this event might not occur because there is not much proof to back this prediction up for example a Mayan in the article said him self " there is no concept of a apocalypse in the Mayan culture.

William R 2A said...

I Don't think people was thinkg the world was going to end because of the mayns stoping the calendar . I think it's because of that dumb movie 2012. I don't think this outrageous event will happen because I think it's just a bunch of nonsense. Even though global warming Is Clueless that still docent mean it's going to happen.

Anonymous said...

I belive that people think that the world is going to end based on facts that the media and others give out such as Harold Camping who said the world was going end last year and that wasnt the first time he said that and he was wrong .Nobody really knows When the world is going to except for god and god only . Diangelo Ross 4a

Anonymous said...

Ty'ronn Green 3B

people think the world is going to end because of the Mayan calender. i dont think the world is going to because i dont think nobody can tell when something like that will happen. people profit from this theory by making movies and books about the world ending.the therorist believe the world will by diffrent types of natural disasters like a super volcano,massive earthquakes and tsunamis,then people feed into the nonsense and start to beleievin it. people shouldnt beleieve everything they see or hear.

james hill said...

i thinck that its stoped that people think the world would end this year because of some relegon they said the saame thing 12 years ago and nothing hapend so why painec in fear that the world is gona end when its realy not

Anonymous said...

People are getting this idea because of all the different climate changes and because of that whole situation. They think it will end in disasters, i Dont believe any of it because the BIBLE says no one knows the time or the day.

Deche Neal

Anonymous said...

I think if you believe the world is ending this year your a fool. Scientist can make predictions about the world ending but nobody knows if their predictions will come true. I'm a believer in God and I feel as though he and only he knows when the world is ending but I know for others they feel different I don't know exactly why but I know some get rapped up all into to the media. For example the movie "2012". It's based on the world ending this year. I bet a lot of people viewed this and got convinced the world is going to end in 2012. It's so easy to convince people in this day and time. People are profiting from this world ending theory by getting a lot of attention and making money it's like the ultimate scam. Now in 1996 Maurice Cotterell and Adrian Gilbert claimed to have found evidence that the Mayans had predicted that solar activity would reverse the earth's magnetic field in December 2012, destroying civilization and wiping out the human race. Why people believe this I have no clue. I feel as though you should always be prepared for any type of crises but I don't think you should worry yourself to death or live like a fool because you think the world is ending soon, only God knows, and people shouldn't believe everything they hear as my mother told me.

Kevin Washington

MaverickC. 2A said...

People believe the world will end because of the movie "2012" or they believe the Mayan beliefs are true, also, I can't stress this enough maybe because they are stupid. I honestly dont think people can profit from this at all if the world does end what can they do basically just sit there and wait for it now am I right or wrong. I mean what could they do bomb shelters cant work I dont think. I think that theorist believe that it will be a massive solar flare or a meteor. Me I dont think the world is going to end at all. I think all of these stories about the world ending will never happen.

Anonymous said...

The movie "2012" is the main reason that many people think the world will end. To me this theory is foolish. Scientist make these accusations that the world would end several times before and we are still living.

Javaughn Bowden 1A

Anonymous said...

i dont think the world is going to end because if the world was going to end then crazy things would be happening to the earth right now

dervonte rountree 3b

Anonymous said...

This is like the funniest blog post ever because i see this 2012 crap every where . i don't think the world is going to end i mean if you can't even predict when an earth quake is going to happen how can you predict when a planet is going to be destroyed ? ahaahha thats just a bunch of mumbo gumbo , people obviously watched the movie and now the honestly believe the world will end because of all the weather changes and that kind of stuff .. the world isn't going to end. ..

Jyleke . 2b