Check School Announcements at: http://friendlyhsdailyannouncements.blogspot.com/

Monday, October 17, 2011

ADHD for 4 year olds?!

Many of you are familiar with the learning disability, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD). This article discusses diagnosing children with ADHD at a younger age. Critics say that at some point, kids are just acting like kids and that does not mean that they should be diagnosed and treated with a disorder. Others say that if we diagnose and treat the children earlier then perhaps they will be more successful in their early years of school and learning social skills. Read the article and tell me what you think. Be sure to use Facts, Examples, and Reasons to support your opinion!!

Click Here to Read Article



40 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that searching for ADHD in children isn't nessacary. There's a difference between a 4 year old acting like a 4 year old should, and a 4 year old with ADHD. These could be easily mixed up, or signs could be missed.

Jordan D.
1B

Jackie said...

At the age of 4, children are just learning advanced sentences, and interacting with other children that age. Around 3&4 kids are usually still in their curious stages of life, experiencing different environments, toddlers are most often in a hyperactive mood. I don’t think ADHD should be diagnosed at this young of an age, simply because children’s personalities are usually still being developed. If this was the procedure, children’s would be falsely diagnosed, having a label that doesn’t no apply to them.
-Jackie

Anonymous said...

I think its unnecessary to do that because you are basically killing their inner kid.I feel as though every child is hyper just because their parents may not be attentive to their childs increasing calorie intake.Also because a kid just has that extra energy;because their young and they wanna just have fun.So what if there not always the most attentive people,im almost positive that if the correct person is teaching the children then they will be able to use that energy in a positive way to help their community or even to the whole world.
Craig Williams Pd: 3b

Anonymous said...

I think that kids should not be taking medications for a disibility a parent may think that a child has. i believe that if they act out its the parents fualt for not making them have manners. and that giving them medications at a young age is bad for them and for thier health.kids get hyper for many reasons such as candy, or soda, and sweets, ect.like it says in the article "the academy recommends behavior therapy first, using rewards and consequences to get them to focus and control their impulses better."
belky carbajal
period:4A

Anonymous said...

I Think that little kids should not be diagnosed at that age because a 4 -year old child is going to be hyper & energetic.Children being diagnosed could have some type of effect in the future, Who knows what could happen.It Hasnt been tested but i would like to find out the results.Social Skills could be based off ADHD But Children only get hyper when they have candy or any type of sweet substance,SODA could also cause children to be hyper.This experiment should be tested.
-D.Proctor
Period:4A

Anonymous said...

I dont think it is necessary to look for ADHD in young children. 4 year old children are always running around, acting like a child. You would be able to tell the difference between a 4 year old with ADHD & one without. 4 year old children are hyper.

Aneya Dixon 3B

Anonymous said...

I think searching for ADHD is not possible at such a young age, because most kids have a lot of energy and this makes them hyper. I cannot see any justification in putting a child on medicine at that age, unless that child have serious problems. Such as, diseases they may have been born with.

-Jada Young 2b

Anonymous said...

Elijah Powell
3B

I think testing 4 year-olds for ADHD is kind of a watse of time because you wouldn't really know if that child has ADHD or if he or she just act like that beacuse of their age. You may still find kids with it and treat them so I really can't blame whoever for that idea.

Lyric Freeman said...

Period:2A I Think That Searching For HDHD In a 4 Year Old Is Dumb What Is The Point I Mean Come On It's a 4 Year Old All Kids Are Hyper At That Age And have problems with staying still so i really think it's a waist of time i was very hyper at that age i still am now but i don't have HDHD i just like to jump around i mean maybe some kids do it for attention because they may not feel like their getting enough attention so they act out. or something could be going on at home to have the kids act like that in school it's different reason for acting like that including HDHD But Most Of The Time It Doesn't Mean The Child Has The Disorder

Anonymous said...

chyna mccombs 3b

i don't think it is smart to test 4 year olds for ADHD at such a young age. at that age, you're living it up and playing around. you'd never be able to know if any 4 year old has it or not because most of them act he same at that age. maybe they should wait a few more years then get tested for ADHD at an age where you show a little more maturity.

Samira Best 2B said...

I don't think it nessasary that doctors are tellin parents that there 4 year old has ADHD. Those 4 year olds are just acting like little kids the way they are suppose to act. I think doctor should start testing for ADHD at age 8.

Edith Gonzalez said...

I Feel That Is Unnecessary That Doctors Are Telling Parents That Their Children Are Diagnose With ADHD At A Young Age. Children Are Learning And Making Discovery's About Life. Children Are Very Playful And Of Course They Want Attention; They Are Just Being Children. I Feel That Doctors Should Test At Age's Of 9-12.

Anonymous said...

what i think is unnecessary because what does the doctor know, a 4 year old can't be diagnose with adhd at a early age. 4 year old just act like kids and there always gonna be hyperactive at a early age kids just love to have fun and just test at a much older age like 10-15 Jamal hailey 2B

Khadijah T said...

I think diagnosing a 4 year old with ADHD is ridiculous 1. because 4 is the age when children are grasping how to say all there words, so they are suppose to talk to much. they are just starting school so these are the exciting stages of there life so they are excited for school and will do anything to impress the teacher. there is a complete difference between a 4 year old with ADHD and a 4 year old with behavior problems

Khdijah T. 1B

Angel Johnson 4A said...

I think searching for ADHD in 4 year olds is a bit unreasonable. Children at 4 have delecate minds and may react in school enviorments differently. I know that when i was 4 i probably wasn't that enthusiastic about school. How much knowledge and advancement should a child have at 4? ADHD may be common but i think its rare to spot in such young children.

Anonymous said...

First off let me say that I don’t think that kids at the age of 4 should be diagnosed with adhd because it’s not right. Honestly I don’t believe that you can tell if a 4 year old is adhd because there just a child and you would have to wait until they turn an older age. Also it’s ridiculous that a parent would think that they have adhd at such a young age. Kids around the age of 4-9 i would say are always going to look like they have adhd signs because they don’t no how to be mature, because they’re so young. I believe if you tell a kid their bad they are going to act out and start being bad. If you bring your child to an adhd facility and they see other kids their age that have adha they are going to act out just like their peers. If you don’t put a child on medication at such a young age and start to tell them you have a problem your adhd their going to come out as a regular child.

acquila robertson
3b

Anonymous said...

I dont think that testing young kids for ADHD is necessary because at that age they are just learning. Some kids grow and learn at different rates, so I don't think that tests would be accurate.

Anonymous said...

Justin Boone 1B

I think that testing young children for ADHD could be useful once the child reaches a higher age and gains some self-control. 4-year old children usually don't know what they are doing. Children at that age cannot even process complete thoughts, and are just starting school. I don't believe that ADHD testing is necessary

Anonymous said...

"I dont think that testing young kids for ADHD is necessary because at that age they are just learning. Some kids grow and learn at different rates, so I don't think that the tests would be accurate." was written by...

Rizza Zamora 1B

Doria Jefferson said...

My opinion is that i also think it is unnecessary because like she kids learn at a different rate. Also the younger they are the more low their attention spand will be be. So it really does not have to be ADHD it can just be how they learn. But also it can be useful just to make sure your child does not have it and he is okay. My other opinion is that how can you tell the difference ??

Taj Tobin said...

ADHD is a common learning disorder I mean I have it. When they are diagnosed with it you could take medicine for it or just not worry about it. It is usually found early in kids.

Pico Cross said...

Most people say no to it, but I try to look at it from both sides. My opinion is it wouldnt hurt to try medication on some children, but they must have there parents concent or eles there would be a problem.

Amber Hackley 1B said...

I'm undecided because some children are just more rambunctious than others but if a parent sees this as abnormal they might push there child into therapy making the child feel they are different or strange. i believe you should try first to teach your child. The early years are the times that you mold your child's behavior. If it begins to present a problem then you should take you child to be evaluated.

Anonymous said...

I think that they should test for ADHD at a later age because like it says some kids will just be kids and have childish ways. It is just a phase. Even though test for ADHD at an earlier age can help the people who actually have it, it can hurt the people who don't have it. They can test a child for this disease and diagnoise them with it and bed wrong. So I think That testing for this at an earlier age is a harmful thing.

Shannon Weaver
2A

Anonymous said...

I think the age of 4 is a good age to diagnose kids with ADHD. At 4, they are staying to understand sentences more, their speech is developed, and they're not in school yet. If they get diagnosed when they're like 10, it probably affected their school work and grades. The age 4 is better because you can place them in the classes they need to be in. To be fair, they should test every cold for it.

Danyelle Perry 3B

Brandon Beckwith 1A said...

"Most families come to medication as a last resort,"I don't think giving them the medication is a last resort.Most parents would do anything to keep there kids calm.Heck they might just diagnose there kid with ADHD so they can get the medication. I don't really think age has anything to do with it since children 4-17 years of age have ever been diagnosed with ADHD, as of 2007.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, I think ADHD is made up stuff to make money off of people especially a young age like 4 years old. Kids act that way because they're kids just being kids. Medication they give them is unessessary. As you get older your tendencies start to change and things like "ADHD" will go away.
Charles Jackson 3B

Donald Nalle said...

My personal opionion on this topic is that testing kids for ADHD is going over board. This is because most kids at the age of 4 talk to much , play to much, and etc. Now when it come to about age 14 and up then kids maybe should be tested for ADHD. Because at that age they should be in their right mindset and no longer think like a baby anymore.

Brandon Lee pd-2a said...

I Dont Think That The Kids Should Be Givin Medication At A Young Age Unless Really Diagnosed With ADHD And The Parents Feel That It Is Necessary To Put Their Child On The Medication, Because I Think That There Are Alot More Options To Control ADHD Before Medication Comes Into The The Picture.

Anonymous said...

I think at 4 years of age it is way to soon to say that a child has adhd because usually a child at that age is usually hyper because their brains cant handle sugar all that well yet. A 4 year old will lose focus because at young ages you have very short attention span. I believe adhd test for children if they show adhd symptoms after age 9.
David Barr
Period 2A

OjitosBonitos Maria said...

kids are just hyper all the time, at that age 04 or 8 or anywhere in between I don't honestly believe they you can determine if a child has adhd. because all children at these ages at the ages all they wanna do is eat play poop nd not even sleep and play some more. it is very hard to get these children to focused but that should be expected. now do I think its ok athe age a 4 or 8 or even 12 to be prescribed medicine for adhd no I do not, 1 because the the medications may cause them to believe that something is wrong with him or my create low selfesteem issues or social skills. medicine may cause malfunctions. im really I didn't believe it's good for today and to start getting used to taking medicines I think that they're too young to be putting anything except for healthy all natural foodsand vitamins into their bodies.

Anonymous said...

I believe that a kid taking medication at 4 years of age is way too soon to be taking medication. There really is not a point for them to be taking the medication. They act nearly the same way as other kids their age. They should take the medication when they are older and it may become an issue. This should be an issue for a little later in life.

Tariq Abdullah-2A

Anonymous said...

I think you should treat ADHD, but not for 4 year old. Kids are already hyper because they young and want to do things. So, you just can't say you have ADHD because you young and curious. I understand 6 Or 7 year olds because they are more developed and have had to mature and know right from wrong. But 4 is to young, they need to let kids be kids and have fun, enjoy while they still an kid. Don't no kid want to be drugged and all boring, that's not what being an kid is about. So I say that's way to young and let kids be kids.
Rayven Jones 2A

Anonymous said...

I think testing children at the age of 4 isn't smart. At this age the child is just being a child they don't really know a lot. I think if they start testing there will be a lot of mistakes. They should start testing when they are at least 10.

Anonymous said...

I think testing children at the age of 4 isn't smart. At this age the child is just being a child they don't really know a lot. I think if they start testing there will be a lot of mistakes. They should start testing when they are at least 10.
Cainan Garrison 1A

Anonymous said...

Child with ADHD are in my opinion mentally ill and need to be treated. Whatever it takes to make that child as mellow as possible. No child should ever be exposed to many of different types of drugs just to make them sane. That's how people get addicted but they still should get the certain amount of medication needed.

Taurean J. 1A

Anonymous said...

I think that doctors should not be aloud to diagnosed children with adhd until they are at least 5 years old because kids are always gonna be hyper and things like that, and if they arent then something is wrong with them. And at that age i jsu think it is unnessary
XAVIER DENNIS 3-B

Ashlei broughton said...

All children have that hyper feeling. I don't see and thing wrong with it, my brother has ADHD we just see it as a hyper moment for him. My mom use to try and calm him down. But now she just let him be a kid.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to say about a young kid to have a disability like that. So to say that a four year old has a ADHD is unesscary

Marcus Walker 2B

Anonymous said...

I think that searching for ADHD in a child at a yound age like that isnt right, becaus ehtere still kids and are still going to act hyper like that.Yea they say it will help kids in there early life but now your child is also being reconzied as a child with ADHD and I wouldnt want that.

Maya Robinson
4A