Check School Announcements at: http://friendlyhsdailyannouncements.blogspot.com/

Monday, September 12, 2011

Politics and Religion

Do you guys know why we don't pray in school? It's because our 1st Ammendment promises citizens the freedom of religion, and if we had prayer in school or in a government workplace it might make people who were of different religions feel uncomfortable. No one wants to be forced to pray in a way that is not what they believe. This law is known as seperation of church and state. However, did you also know that all of our Presidents have been a branch of Christianity? We've only ever had one Catholic President, John F. Kennedy, and none of our Presidents were ever Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, or Agnostic.

Check out this article: Politics and Faith

Do you think politicans should be judged based on their religious beliefs?If you could vote, what qualities and issues would you look for in a President when deciding who to vote for? Is religion one of the top 5? Top 10?

52 comments:

Kelly Catama: 2B said...

I think that the president shouldn't be elected based on their religion! everyone will have their own religion & you can't change that from a person! they are what they are! but they must respect others who have other religions. that's the major thing that counts when you are elected as president, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that the president should be elected based on their religion because u cant judge a book by its color. You never know how the world can change if there's a president with a different culture. But either way u have to respect the president weather u like it or not.
Diamond Nicholas 2b

Anonymous said...

Judging a politician based off of his religion is wrong i think, because that's his or her freedom of choice. You shouldn't decide not to vote for somebody just because they're a different religion and politicians shouldn't feel pressured into being a christian just to get votes. I would not put religion in the top 10, i'd look for public speaking, leadership, and work drive.
Ajani Bryant 1A

ChristianJohnson2BContinued said...

I disagree Ajani, politicians should be judged on religion, if they're religion studies foreign values and they get elected to office then they're going to implement their foreign values. Now I'm not saying everything foreign is wrong but there is a reason we can't elect a president who was born in a different country, it is simply because we do not want their ideologies forced upon our people thus changing this country into something unprecedented. Like now in PG County we get out of school for Jewish holidays, well I'm sorry but I've never even seen a Jew in PG County let alone a student. If I were to vote I would look for a politician whose proven to carry out what he says he will, religion isn't too big as long as it's nothing that can influence a change in this country's morals.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that you should elect a president based on thier religion. It is thier choice on what religion they want to be and you can't change it! You should be worried about his religion anyway. You should be worried about what he can do and how he can help our country.

Shannon Weaver
2A

Anonymous said...

I disagree with Christian. Before going into political office these people were just as much citizens are we were and therefore have just as many rights as we do. That being said if we get freedom of religion would it not be hypocritical to judge our politicians on theirs? The views themselves aren't necessarily foreign to begin with. After all we weren't the first to be in this country before it even became a country to begin with. Judging people based on religion is the same as stereotyping which in most cases never leaves anyone with a fair chance. Even if it does influence decision making never once has their truly been a situation where religion causes domestic political chaos on a massive scale. Religion is far from any priority when it comes to looking for someone to run for political office. The factors that should actually be kept in mind are some of the most important human traits: Leadership, Honesty, Integrity, Dedication, Loyalty. People skills, the ability to negotiate. Things of that nature are what shape a true and GOOD political official. Not religion.

Ayinde Michael
1A

Langston Parker said...

For real though. Politics religion reflects on their morals and their self judgment.For example some white people in the highest part of the government praise satan.Yep the same people who setup 9/11.These days People should just pick the right choice.Heres how i know i know god is real.If there are demons there have to be angels because satan fell from heaven onto EARTH.Evil is promoted trough music.Lucifer was the angel of music before he fell.Lastly atheist are dumb because their are aliens with lazer beams that can levitate.When the world ends I hope my people come back and take us home on the mothership.I know I sound dumb but I believe in aliens because we are all aliens we dont belong herenthe satanist do im goin to that moon where there is a massive structure thats looks like an intelligent civilization made it.Goodnight.

Anonymous said...

I do not believe religion should be a factor in whether or not someone should be elected for president. The reason i think that is because what religion you practice is your personal business and it shouldnt reflect what goes on in the country. There are other important factors that people should look for in a person and not what religion they practice, or what personal beliefs they have. As long as there not harming or abusing their power based on their beliefs , its of no ones concern.

Cailyn Thomas
1B

Anonymous said...

truthfully, i don't think politics shouldn't be based on religious beliefs because your beliefs shouldn't have anything to with many issues because like you said: "if we had prayer in school or in a government workplace it might make people who were of different religions feel uncomfortable."
and everyone does have there own view points.

Mary Grace Jose
1B
the qualities i would look for in a president is if he can actually help out our economy, if he is willing to give out health care for the people who need them because 22% of children are now experiencing poverty. The factors that our important for presidency is fi he is willing to listen to the voice of the people and if he or she is dependable. Religion would go along the top 5 because people shouldn't be discriminated for their religion and many people of the United States have different religions.

Anonymous said...

truthfully, i don't think politics shouldn't be based on religious beliefs because your beliefs shouldn't have anything to with many issues because like you said: "if we had prayer in school or in a government workplace it might make people who were of different religions feel uncomfortable."
and everyone does have there own view points.

the qualities i would look for in a president is if he can actually help out our economy, if he is willing to give out health care for the people who need them because 22% of children are now experiencing poverty. The factors that our important for presidency is fi he is willing to listen to the voice of the people and if he or she is dependable. Religion would go along the top 5 because people shouldn't be discriminated for their religion and many people of the United States have different religions.

Mary Grace Jose
1B

ajmajette said...

William Majette 3B- I dont think that religion plays a big part in presidency . I think that religion is in the top 10. I would like a president with a relgious view, but i wouldnt want a preacher/pastor for president. But it seems that a president has to be Christian because America was built around Christianity. I say this because on all USD it says "In God We Trust". Qualities that I look for in a president are honesty, intelligence and a good background.

Anonymous said...

I don't think a president should be judged on his religious beliefs because what does that have to do with him making the country better? If I could vote I would mOst defiantly not vote based on what they believed. I do think religion is a important factor in society but I don't think people should judge you based on what you believe. I would love for my president to be the same religion as me but if it turns out that he is not them I wouldnt allow that to change my views on him.
Deche' Neal

Anonymous said...

Andre Lowery 4A I dont think that a person's religion should be looked at when a voter is chosing a canidate for presidency because it is irrelivant to politics. A person could have a great plan for the government that would help America but if people see that he or she is Muslim then he most likely will not get the opportunity to carry out his plan that could make America better and thats not fair to him/her because thay wouldnt even have a fair chance wheras if a Christian was a canidate and he or she had no type of plan whatsoever but fed the people a bunch of b.s.that they wanna hear with no real way to make that happen then that person would most likely win the president position.

Anonymous said...

Religion for presidents doesnt matter unless they try to take over and force it on someone who doesnt have those beliefs. Also what is important is what he is doing to make this country better, and the lives of the people who live here.

Dierra P.
1A

Anonymous said...

There is no such such thing as a right or wrong religion. I think that the president should not be judged on his/her religion because who is to judge what religion is right or wrong. Religion is based on beliefs. As long as the president is a good canidate for the job i do not see why he/she should be judged by their religion.

Marques Malone

Anonymous said...

Lyric Freeman P:2A I don't think that the president should be elected based on their religion. They Should Be Accepted for who they are and just because there religion might not seem good to someone the way that they handle their duties in office might be good so you shouldn't judge people because of their religion.

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone should be judged by voters based on their religion. I personally think that every religion is the same, you just practice it differently. A lot of religions if not all believe in a higher being. Religion is about what and or who you believe in. Religion does not define who you are or what you are capable of doing. If i was able to vote, I would really base my vote on the runners history in politics, their education, and how they can benefit the country.
Donyah Bunn 4A

Anonymous said...

I don't think electing a president based on their religion is what people need to worry about. People should focus more on what can this country benefit from the president. We need a president who can move this country forward.

Adam Pinkney 4A

Anonymous said...

Justin Boone 1B

I dont think that anyone in the government should be judged by their religion. Although, if I was allowed to vote I would vote for the candidate that is the same religion as me. I would feel more comfortable if the person making decisions or running our country would have the same beliefs as me.

Anonymous said...

Judging people off their religion is wrong. So i dont believe we should vote on people because of what they believe in, that's wrong. The qualities that i want my president to have are to be courageous, courteous, devoted, determined, and to always be focused about everything he does. Religion does not mean that much to me unless if that president tries to change the world then that would be the only way how i would try to vote on religion.


Terrell Proctor
2A

Anonymous said...

I do not believe that anyone should be judged by their religion. I believe that if someone is running for president they should not have to change their religion because it is not a requirement.
Shauntise Banks 2A

Angel Johnson 4A said...

I believe no one in politics should be judged on there religion. A religion to me is more of a personal matter, religion won't be discussed during political issues without being seen as inappropriate. Religious beliefs a man or woman chooses to follow does not exhibit what their capable of as a politician and how well they follow up in their position.

Khadijah T said...

No I do not think Politicians should be judged based on there religion.. because its more to a person than its religion. If the person is willing to be fair communicate to people in the community and all 50 states and able to meet almost all need of the american society not just the rich people but middle and lower class families. I would not care if you were a cave man if you could do all those thing listed above you got my vote. Religion does not play a part at all

Khadijah T. 1B

Anonymous said...

I think that politics should have NOTHING to do with religion because as a president all you have to do is be smart, be strong, KEEP your promises for our country, make changes, and you have my vote im not going to vote for another president because the other one is Jewish. I also think that as a president they shouldnt be discriminatory towards the citizens either and make different laws for different religions.
Raymond Flowers 1B

ayanna johnson 4a said...

I dont think that politics should have nothing to do with religion because I dont think that religion should be discussed with political issues. I also think that if someone is elect I think that it should be based on what they have to offer to society.

Doria Jefferson said...

I actually think a president should be based off their religion. Most of the laws etc are based off of christian views. If a president is elected that is a different religion most of all the views are going to be changed and their going to go for their views. Like everybody said it should be based off of what they bring to the table and how they are going to help our economy but to face the FACTS everything is or most things are going to change if u elect a president a different religion

Anonymous said...

I have heard that we are not allowed to pray in school because, it makes people uncomfortable. But if you think about it, how is it fair that some kids can wear certain things to honor their religion.It might make some kids feel uncomfortable.
Anyway I don't think president should be judged off his religion. It dosn't matter what religion you are, as long as you do a goodjob helping our country.

Deyonna Butts
Pd.3B

Anonymous said...

I would want my president to be black our white because I don't trust any other because terrorist attacks. I want a president that would help our economy and better the future. If that can't happen I think the U.S. will fall

Marquis Anbaz said...

I Believe That You Shouldnt be Judged By Your Religion because You Could Be shunning A good Leader Just Because They Are Of a Certain Religion And That Leader That You Was shunning Could Be The One that Bought The United States Back To Being The Best Country In the World . Religion doesn't Define What A Person Does Or Is Going To Do .

Marqius Anbaz 2B

Anonymous said...

Personaly i domt think that anyone should be judged by anything but their personalality. Besides being judged by relgion is just as bad as being judged by raice. Its just not a good thing to do. But then agin its somtimes tricky when comes to politcis because this nation was built around a religion.So the debate on if politcans should be judged by their religion is a hard one to settle
- Dorian Womble 1A

Anonymous said...

I think that politicians should be based on what they stand for. Not there religion, religion is a big part of someone personality but you can"t judge someone on what they choose to believe in.

Nace Denton-Hurst
4A

JamaniJohnson929 said...

well it doesnt matter what your religon is aslong as your a citizen to the united states of america because you can be a christain one day & a buddist the next its all about your belief but i dont think people should "discriminate" because of your spiritaul beliefs aslong as you have the right interest & your faithful to your religion your fine w. me but as far as praying in school goes i think that should be aloud because every one should have the freedom to pray to their God when there suppose too!

Victor Blakey 1A said...

I dont think that politicians should be judged based off of their religion. If that person can make America a better place, why neglect them because of what they believe in religiously. That is their choice and they shouldnt have to change it just to be a politician. If you dont choose a politician because of their religion then you are basically stereotyping and that just isnt fair. If i could vote, i would be looking for a person with leadership, intelligence, honesty, and ways to improve America. Religion wouldnt even be a top 10.

Anonymous said...

Religion should not determine on who becomes a politician. It should if that person makes his decision based off of religion. If I could vote, Ill look for someone that is for the people and makes smart decisions. Religion would not be in my list. It looks like most people think this way because Obama is Muslim.
Marquis Credle 1A

Anonymous said...

Any person or politician shouldn't be judge on their religion.It shouldn't matter as long as he does whats best for the country.The qualities i would look for is intelligence, leadership, courage,and caring.
Cainan Garrison 1A

Pretty.Boy.Millionaire☆ said...

I believe that RELIGION should play a big role in deciding what president you think would be best to you to run the United States Of America. In choosing a president i would specifically look at what religion they are and what exactly does that religion follow by,and what things is done in that religion.I actually think a president should be based off their religion. Why because, Most of the laws etc are based off of christian/Catholic views. If a president is elected that is of a different religion most of all the changed and laws,rules etc will be HIGLY based upon and related their religous background. Like everybody said it should be based off of what they bring to the table and how they are going to help our economy which is true but if you elect a president of different religious background other than Christian and catholic then yes laws and rules would be based upon the religion he/she believes in. politicians should be judged on religion, if they're religion studies foreign values and they get elected to office then they're going to implement their foreign values. Now I'm not saying everything foreign is wrong but there is a reason we can't elect a president who was born in a different country, it is simply because we do not want their ideologies forced upon our people thus a major changing this country into something unprecedented. I'm not saying for one second that Christianity and Catholic religion key to being a president or that it is BETTEr than other religions and that if your not that than your not a good president. All im saying is bring a man into the power of being PRESIDENT! and from a long line of Ex-presidents that were either christian or catholic and bring a man that totally disagrees with that religion in some sort all of his plans, laws ,rules etc would reflect his religion and would be fore the better of this believe so all that christian and catholic values that america was built on would all be forever changed into to something UNPREDICTABLE!!

Deaunte Watson 4A said...

I Dont Think That You Should be judged on your religon because they could be a united states citzen. if i could vote i would want a president that would work on world peace and try to fix the ecnomy back to normal and stable. religon is in the top 5 for me because thats what is causing all the wars and stuff
Deaunte Watson
4A

Anonymous said...

It don't matter what religion you are because it you a american citizen you have rigths to freedom of religion and it don't play a role in prsidency because the president can be muslim or catholic it don't matter.
Maurice Nicholson 3B

Anonymous said...

I feel like politicians should be able to choose what religion they would like. However, I do think it is not fair we cannot pray in school. If it is a problem of diverse religions, then the different religions should be able to practice their customs. I also think religion should be apart of the voting process because that specific person shares not only your political views, but also your religious views if any at all.

-Kiah Williams 1A

Anonymous said...

I dont believe politicians should be judged on their religion. The religion of a person shouldnt make a man different from the next because the basis of alot of religions are virtually same and portay similar morals. The emotional and leadership qualities are what should be examined to ensure a good politician. -Stephan Taylor 1A

Anonymous said...

i feel that politicians should not be judged by their religion.Weather he is Christian,Muslim,or Buddhist their still American. Also judging a person is morally wrong and can be considered dicrimination.He should be able to be accpeted for who he is regardless of his religion.

Phillip Moore 1B

Anonymous said...

I agree with Raymond, because a majority of the strife in the world IS because of religion. So no, I don't think the president should be chosen on their religion. Not everybody has the same beliefs. The top 2 qualities I'm looking for in a president are truthfulness and courageousness, the issues I'm looking for is equality and violence,be it non-violent or violent; religion is nowhere near the to 10.
:Hunter Howard 1B:

Anonymous said...

I believe a president religion should matter. . . We are the ones who vote and if we can relate to the president then that gives them a better chance at becoming president. I believe that the reason why most presidents were/is Christian is because there are more Christian's in the u.s then any other religion (based on http://goo.gl/JuV7e). I would say a President religion would be number five on my top five list of qualities in a president. If i was able to vote, I would want to know his/her specific plans of action in solving problems in the world, I would want him/her to be an Inspirational leader, hardworking, able to work with others and very intelligent.

-Jada Young 2B

Lavell Allen Social Issues 1-A said...

Politics yet again. Ha Ha! Well first off religion should not play a role in government because it may conflict with decisions. No what i mean by this is that if you are solely fixatated on the "Word of the Word and by the Word" then it wil conflict with decisions you make. Now secondly so what if your president is Jewish,Christian,Muslim or whatever a religion does not make you any different. A religion is a belief and doesnot make your personality. If I were voting for the president I want I would want versatility, resilience, optimism, boldness,integrity and determination. I would not care if my president were affiliated with any belief as long as it does not cloud his judgement.

Anonymous said...

Politicians should not be judged based on their religion. I say this because nobody should be based on their religion. But I'm not saying we should elect a Bin Laden to ruin our county. We just have to take a deep look into who we elect. Religion is just something you practice and believe in. Religions should not cause any type of trouble. People should be left alone when it comes to their religion. I don't think others should get involved or make unnecessary or disrespectful comments concerning anyone's religion or beliefs. Many people take their religion and beliefs seriously so I think everyone should respect each others religions. If I could vote I'd look at how educated this person is, is the person a jerk or if he/she is generous, I'd see if they were willing to listen and take advice from us U.S. citizens, and I'd look up a lot more of their history.

Kevin Washington

Anonymous said...

DeAndre Davis 2A
Judging a politician based off of his religion is wrong i think, because that's his or her freedom of choice if you judge oin religion it would be a biased choice. Religion is just something you practice and believe in. Religions should not cause any type of trouble. People need to understand that religion is free but still I would want boldness and determination. What im looking for is your passion and thrive for what they want done in the world my list would consist of Passion, integrity, determination, thrive, and actualy putting up what you want done

Anonymous said...

- thats stupid for the president to get elected over his religion. president's shouldn't be elected based on their religion . no matter if you a christian or Muslim if you can make the usa a better place and get the job done then it shouldnt be based on your culture / religion
( ( taqiyyah recio)

OjitosBonitos Maria said...

No i don't think politicians should be judged by their relgious beliefs. If Releligous beliefs were involved in election it woluld complicate everything! I thiknk that maybe somepeople think that it should be just for the simple fact they its een around the table or whhatever or some people want a sense of comfort to know that their religion is helping guide te country. but I also believe that a lot of people a very headstrong about their religion because people believe waht they believe. I f religonwas brought into politics it wouild make thinkgs alot more personal. and they already are, but its about everyone not just one person

Anonymous said...

I do not think politicians should be judged by there religion because your religion doesn't show who you are as a person just what your beliefs are. If I could vote, the qualities I would look for in a President are: smart, knows what they are doing, well-educated, stays cool under pressure, and has experience in some kinds of politics. Religion is probably in the top 10 of my list of qualities.

Brian Crouse 1B

Anonymous said...

i think that it doesnt matter what your reliion is as a president if your good and are going to help the country then you could be a good president but its better if your religion is christian as a president because the majority religion in the united states are christains and muslims also there is a sterotype that muslims are terrorist so if a muslim was to run for president most peole would not vote for him

KEVIN HOLSTON 2B

Rashad Atkins 4A said...

I don't think the president shouldn't be elected because of his religion or despised on because of his religion. Like some people would use their religion against them. Me for instance I wouldn't i would pick upon what he/she stands for and laws and rules.

josh williams said...

This personally find to be a quite contraversal topic I think politics should not be judged for their religion however at the same time it leads me to think if we had a guy running for president and he was Muslim it would make me think he would be some secret terrorist, qualities I would look for in a president would be loyalty and normality mainly because I would not want a eerie werid president to rule our nation would not be biased in voting but maybe hesitant.