Child Dies of Dehydration
Unfortunately there are a lot of parents and situations like this throughout our country. Do you think that there should be laws for who gets to be a parent? Should people be assessed or tested before they are allowed to raise children? What would the side affects of laws like these be? (For example: what would we do with people who got pregnant but were determined to be unfit parents?)
*Sidenote - If you or anyone you know is living in an abusive household PLEASE tell a teacher, guidance counselor, or any other adult that you trust to help!*
57 comments:
Okay I find this very dissapointing as a parent for you to deprive your child of water completely, I can see if you stopped him from drinking water an hour before bed time that's more logical. Also you have his twin brother who could'nt help because he would also get in trouble this is completely bad parenting and I am glad they are in Jail
-DeAndre' Davis 2A
i think this was bad and very stupid. i think that if u an adult u should already kno that u cant live without water
(MaverickC 2A)
I think it was a bad idea. They should of told the child to go to the bathroom before bed. I don't know why a adult would not give a child nothing to drink if they know you cant live without water for no more than 3 days.
( Na'Teia Johnson 2A)
I think that instead of putting him by the window , and not giving him any water for 5 days . A better solution would to make him go to the bathroom before bed , or after a certain time he shouldn't be able to drink , i think what they did was kinda of harsh .
Its wasn't the lil boys fault if he wet his bed. and to give him a punishment like that was stupid of his parents. Why couldn't they just had bought something like diapers so he could of worn while he slept that way the bed won't get wet.
^*Paula Ramos 4A*^
I think this was bad parenting. I can agree with not giving a child something to drink a hour before their bedtime but 5 days without water is a long time. More than likely, this isnt the parents first time doing something like this.
Marques Malone 4A
I thought this was very sad and wrong. If you're a parent you should be smart enough to know that you cannot live without water. I would have looked at my parents like they were retarted if they tried to tell me not to drink water. If i was the kid i would have snuck some water. This kid's parents deserve to be locked up.
Adam Pinkney 4A
I believe that this is wrong because its your mai job to feed and give attention to your child and you dont give them water!! thats just cold i dont care if he wet the bed to much just dont give himwater before he goes to sleep instead of not trying to give him water that wrong on so many levels
-Terrell Proctor Period: 2A
I Think What The Parent Did Was Very Harsh And Is Child Cruelty. The parent Should Have Said He Couldnt Drink After A Certain Time Or He Can Go To The Bathroom Before He Go To Bed. I Also Think That There Should Be Laws About Which Set Of Adults Can And Cannot Have Kids Because Some People Are Not Fit To Be Parents. I Dont Think They Should Neccessarily Be Tested To Be A Parent But If SomeThing Is Suspicious About The Home Or The Adult Then Matters Should Be Taken Into Authorities Hands.
Period: 2a
I dont think there should be a test someone has to go through before they're parents. Offcourse we all want to be prepared but like normal human being that we 'should' be, we learn as we go. No one is perfect. Everyone has diffrent opinions on punishment. Sincerely, Maria Vega
My Opinion On This Article, Is That It Is Wrong as An Mother Or Father To Neglect Thier son/Daughter or StepDaughter/Stepson Like He Or She Dont Have Excistance Or Mean Anything .
#DonaldMoore #Period4a
Domonique Moore ( 2-A ) I dont think there should be a test because anybody can no what it takes to be a parent and can pass this test , but parents still shouldntneglect there child or children and this is disturbing . In a situation like this the parent could of prevented it by not giving her child something 2 hours before bedtime .
Domonique Moore ( 2-A ) I dont think there should be a test because anybody can no what it takes to be a parent and can pass this test , but parents still shouldnt neglect there child or children and this is disturbing . In a situation like this the parent could of prevented it by not giving her child something to drink2 hours before bedtime .
Doria Jefferson 4A
Child Dies of Dehydration
One I think they should make laws so they can protect kids from parents like this. They are the next generation and they need to be protected. Some parents don't know how to take care of kids or how to be responsible and take responsibility for their own actions. Some can have health problems and difficult past that will not be good for the child. Just like the article said that the parents had made sure the boy did not have nothing to drink for 5days. Everybody already know that is not smart, especially to how the weather was. It isn't the child's fault that he had peed in the bed its the parents and they shouldn't blame the child for his actions. Yes a punishment would be good but nothing out of the ordinary as that, because it was there responsibility to potty train the boy. Law would be appropriate just so they can stop situations like this. No child or ANYBODY deserves to be abused, verbally abused, raped etc. If they know they can go to jail for what they have done than it should be a law.
Khadijah Tyler 1B
I feel as that the laws wont make a difference because people are going to do sick and cruel things to children. Yes the parents knew they were wrong and they knew they were, the eventually got caught up with the crime the committed. i just feel that people like these two parent whatever they do will always come back 10 times worse. No law will be able to stop this because potential parents can always fake there way through a law like this
In my opinion of what the parents in this article did is just pure neglegence. Even though this case is very sad and I think that things like this really shouldnt happen, I dont actually think that there is really a was to solve problems like this. It honestly wouldnt be fair to people to make laws or tests to see who is able to have children. While that might help to keep some unfit persons from becoming parents it could also have negative affects. It may just keep perfectly competent people from having children. This would be a an undue punishment for people who want and could be perfect care takers for children. The only thing I can suggest is that any person who commits a crime like this be severely punished.
Ron Phillips 3B..... I think that no child should be treated this way but, for the parent I think she should be locked up with life/deaf. Being a parent is a very big role and having a child is something serious, if you not ready to take on that role you shouldn't have had a child. She knew what she was getting herself into when she had the child. She didn't feel bad for the baby so not need to feel bad for her.
There shouldn't be laws for who could/should be a parent. After all no one really wants to take a test. However no child should have to deal with being neglected so inhumanely and that's where child protective services should come into play. Catching it early with exams wouldn't do much because you never know if a parent or something in that parents life will change them and their demeanor toward their children. Furthermore there are numerous factors such as unplanned pregnancy which clearly no one ever expects. You can't force abortion and that would surely bring much anger from society. Another factor? Divorce. The government won't be watching thousands of relationships at once and you never really know how that sort of thing would affect a parent or their parenting methods. Parents who do choose to take such actions should not receive any such sympathy because those actions are incredibly immoral.
-Ayinde Michael (1A)
Hmmmm interesting. The question is what is "BAD" parenting? I do believe that parenting is an acquired skill. Either you know how or how not to handle your child. With the unfortunate inccident that occured it seems to me that the mother did not know how to approach the situation properly. For instance if your child is eating a peanut butter sandwhich and starts to choke would you detain them water? No, you give them water because they might die. I guess this mother was not thinking. But i do say that there should not be laws to obstruct potential parents from raising kids. They have a monumental abundance of resources into how to care for children. Also never resort to vulgarly pretentious actions toward your child. Abuse of any proportion is impermissible.
Lavell Allen 1-A Social Issues
first of all the parents that did this are anything. But back to the topic i feel as though people shouldn't be tested too have babies! After all its their decision to have children, if that's whats going to make them happy go for it babyy! But this is common sense not to let your child go without water! theirs a difference between child abuse and tough love! and we all know what they did was child abuse so i hope they enjoy the water in jail! - Da'Von Williams 1-B
I find this very disturbing. How could you punish a child for wetting the bed? I could see if you told he/she that they couldn't have any water after 9 o'clock, but in this situation, they took it to another level. His parents was very harsh, I don't think he should have went 5 days without water. Not even 1! Sooner than later something was bound to happen to the child, being that he hasn't had water in 5 days. Any one can make a child, however, you have to step up to the plate and provide and take care of it. In this case, these parents failed that task.
-Danyelle Perry 3B
I think this is just one of those things were parents take parenting to far.I mean personaly how can you say you love your child if you punish them to death.
- Dorian Womble 1A
I Don't Think There Should Be Laws For Who Becomes A Parent Because That's A Decision You Should Make On Your Own And Also Because For Some People Children Make Them A Better Person. No, They Shouldn't Get Tested Before Because Anybody Can Get Tested And Fail, But That Doesn't Mean There Unfit. The Side Affects Would Be More Children In Adoption Agencies And More Parents Heartbroken And Feeling Stuck.
It's sad to think that parents need laws, but there are more and more stories like this everyday. I believe some parents also need training. Not giving a child water over a long period of time shows a lack of common sense
Aneya Dixon 3B
I believe these people are terrible parents and deserve to have been locked up for their actions. They are very irresponsible people and should never be allowed to have children in their homes until they have fixed their problems. There should be a parenting class to teach parents the extent a punishment should have. Not giving a child water for a extended period of time is just having no common sense. Having no water at temperatures over 100 degrees is just worse, and this child dieing is a indication of this. I believe certain people should have parenting classes before having children in their home.
Tariq Abdullah 3B
Any parent that wuld say somthing as ingnorant as "I didn't know he would die" or "well he wasn't a very good kid anyway" should not even be allowed to take care of kids at all.There needs to be more strict laws on things like this .Even when kids are put into fostercare.There is no 100% chance that the parents are better then the ones they just left.
Do you think that there should be laws for who gets to be a parent?
No, there should not be a law because everyone really deserves to be a parent sometimes in there life,but some people take it and make really bad mistakes.
Should people be assessed or tested before they are allowed to raise children?
Yes some people should be tested to determine if they are int he right state of mind to be having a child right now in there life and that they are mentally stable to take care of the child.
What would the side affects of laws like these be?
The side effects would be like people really just stop having kids.
Parenting is hard work today, because kids are getting out of hand, but still they are human beings and treat them like one- Juwan Reese 1b
I do think there should be laws for who gets to be a parent. Some people are not fit to raise children. Most criminals had a rough childhood because of their parents. I do think people should get tested become raising kids. You can not raise another person if your not right yourself. The side effects would be that they would be a lot more children in foster care or being adopted. Marquis Credle 1A
I dont think their should be laws because even though there are parents who neglect their kids, the parents still have to learn how to raise them properly. Jasmine Biggs 1B
I believe that parents should be tested when it comes to having a baby because people should know the consequences when it comes to doing certain thiings.I believe that this was cruel because people should know that your body can not handle water for more than 3 days.
Shauntise Banks 2A
dontonio burdette 2B: i agree with the article parents should be tested and asked are they ready to have a baby cause some parents are CRAZY look at the world now parents are drowning there kids killing there kids and just not really caring about them so i agree with this article.
Parents shold be tested.People in this world are very crazy and they should not be a mother or father to any child. If parents really do things like this when people are not around to see what they do to their kids, they should be punish for the rest of their life. Thats my opinion.
Maurice Nicholson 3B
yes there should be a law for who should be a parent because you dont want kids growing up and doing the same thing to there kids,i say there should be a test for parents because if the parents lived in a abusive household when they were younger then there is a chance that the parents will do it to there kids it will go down generation to generation until it is stopped, if the parent is unfit to take care of the baby then they should send it to foster care or send it to a home where it wont be abused at...its really sad that these parents did that to there son they need help
I do think their should be laws or tests to be a parent because they were a child and they had moms and dads so they know what it takes to be a parent from looking up to them. Also i think just like the kids the parents know right from wrong ok he just wet the bed he could have had a bad dream or maybe just an accident so i think they should have talked to him first instead of taking action like that. Raymond Flowers 1B
This is a very controversial situation. Either way you decide to address this problem there will another conflict that arises. Me personally, I believe that yes you should in fact assess or test parents before they are allowed to raise children because its a serious matter that is taken way too lightly and its too many irresponsible people having babies. I also do believe that if a parent is unfit and is pregnant the state should in fact take her child away because she didn't prove she could handle such a responsibility. But in all actuality there's already too many children up for adoption, the new issue will arrive "who will care for all of these children, where will they live". Especially with the unstable economy we have now, its just impossible to fund testing for parenting and afford to take care of all the children. This was a very sad case of bad parenting and I give my condolences to the rest of his grieving family. For prevention of this I recommend organizations such as CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES be more aware and do more investigations. Of course they cannot catch everyone but hopefully they can save more children's lives.
- Breana Brown 1B
I also agree with Raymond 100%. Why should people raise kids who are kids themselves or just aren't ready to be a parent because they don't know the aspects of it. I think they should be tested, and if they aren't fit to have a child then they need to learn how to care and love for the child rather than beating and trying to kill it because it "wet the bed".
I think that there should be laws for peole that are unfit to not have kids. Why should unfit mothers have the chance to have babies if all they are going to so it hurt them. I don't think it's far to the mothers out here that want kids but cant have them. I think that If a unfit mother gets pregnant the government should give her only two options: aborit or adoption.
I think that the parents was wrong and them trying to teach him a lesson caused his death. Some parents seem to take things to another level and because of him "wetting the bed" he was not allowed to drink water, and it the temperature is really hot they should have known that he was going to be dehydrated. It a win lose situation for parents to be tested on there parenting skills, because you could be the best mom/dad and might not pass the test, In addition some parents do need to take a test because anyone could have a child and they could be abusive, rapist, or anything.
-Jada Young 2B
I think abusive parents have the right to get their kids taken away from them. I'd understand a punishment of getting your toys or video games taken away, but not being able to drink water? seriously? thats over the border. pregnant women who are determined to be bad prents should be forced to give their babies up for adoption. maybe someone else can take better care of them
(Daniel Munibez 2A)
I think there should be a law that all parents should have a home check to see how there raising there kids and etc. Because you will never know what is going on in a home until somethimg this happens and it was real stupid. I belive that once a women finds out she pregnant she should have to take a drug test because she could be posioning her child.
Maya Robinson
4A
This is a very controversial issue. Any way you approach this problem new conflicts arise. I personally do believe that every aspiring parent should be assessed or tested before being able to raise a child. I also believe that if a mother is unfit then her baby should be taken over by the state. But in all actuality we know that this simply unrealistic. In state of our economy we cannot afford to fund testing and take care of all the confiscated children. There aee already too many children up for adoption now. I send my condolences to the rest of the boys grieving family (excluding his parents lol). For prevention of this I recommend agencies like CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES be more aware and do more investigations. Ofcourse they cannot save every child but hopefully they can make a difference and save a few.
-Breanna Brown 1B
I do believe the new upcoming people who are about to become a parent should have like an advanced background check on them. By that I mean look up them names for any criminal offense, if they were ever known by any other name pretty much a list of all the things that they did from since they were born to right now. Lastly on the background check there should be an police officer to go to their house and do a search for any drugs they might have. The only bad thing I would see in this is the people who wouldn't want to go through all that trouble. So rape would go up and more. The good thing I see is more protective sex so people won't have to go through all that.
I do agree that new parents should be tested for violent behavior. They should be tested to prevent activities such as this from occurring. I also think that if these parents are found to be unfit to care for the child that they should be sent to trusted family members or be given to adoptive care.Lastly, I agree with Maya..in saying that every women should be assessed while pregnant just for each unborn child's safety. -Kiah Williams 1A
The parents in this situation were wrong and cruel but I dont think people should be evaluated to become parents. What would happen to the unborn child, if their parents were found "unsuitable" to be parents?...They would probably be sent to an orphanage of some type. that is cruel to deprive a child of their natural parents without any proof or evidence that the child would be in danger. -Stephan Taylor 1A
I think this is a very drastic and cruel punishment for something every one of us has done at least once during our childhood. However I believe it is quite unnecessary for laws to be created that regulate who and who cannot have children. Problems I believe can arise are dysfunctional people faking as if their fine and still keeping the children. I dont believe there would ever be a completely flawless way of regulating who can raise a child.
The parents were very cruel to there child. I think there should be laws that decide would can be a parent but it wouldn't be effective. It would be hard to know who is unfit for parenting.People change for the good or worse when they have a child of there own.-Cainan Garrison 1A
Ashanti Walcott 1/B
In my opinion, The parents were cruel and very unnecessary. There was no need to have their child not drink water for days. They should know better about the side effects. Anyway, These parents were wrong and should face some kind of harsh punishment for their action in the death of their child. The parents should know a better way of treating a 'bed wetter' such as not having their child drink water around a certain time before going to bed, not for five whole days. Now from this tragic event there should be evalutaions towards new coming parents to see if they are able to raise their child/ren properly.
This is wrong. I think the Parents got what they deserved because this is a child and they are adults. I'm pretty much sure they know a person cannot survive without water. Maybe if they just told the son not to drink late at night time, then they wouldn't have this situation.
Rikieshia Brown 4a
I cant belive this actually happened. This was under the context of "doing to much". But I also think that we do not need parenting tests.
anybody could be a parent. It just good parents and bad parents. But now i think that it is my turn to bomb out the parents. Why would you not give your son water or anything for something so stupid. If he had a problem you retards you should have took him to the doctor and not have took the situation into your own hands. Like to be really serious yall diserve to go to jail, like really yall need not think of having another kid at all. You know what I think , I think that they got mad because he kept on using theIR tide. All they had to do was not let him drink anything before bed or keep waking him up to use the bathroom. Man seriously we got parents and then we got dumb parents then we just got parents that are just SAF. This really makes me sad when I see something like this because its just another life gone because of stupid desicions.
Taj Tobin- 3B
unique said..
i dont think there should be laws for who gets to be a parent becase it was your chose to be a parent so now you have responsibilities to take care of and rase a chid.people shouldent be tested before having children because they can do watever they want to there child but if they punish them and kill them then there going to have to face a big punishment for what they did.there dumb for having a child if they wre going to treat them like that.in this case these laws would be to test parents and there backgrounds before having children.also test them if they could be parents.if they have children and arent taking care of them then they should be put in jail.
Justin Boone 1B
I believe that the parents were completely wrong for their actions. Im sure that they did not intend on killing their child, but there are different ways to punish children for their actions, that do not involve the child's health. A law about parenting would not be of any help. I believe that anyone should have the right to raise a child. If there is any child neglect or cruel punishment, Child Protective Services can step in and place the child in a comfortable and safe environment.
In my opinion the way that his parents punished him was harsh.Just because he wet the bed that didnt mean they had to deprive him from drinking water for five days. And because his punishment ended in death I do think that its better that his parents should be in jail.
I feel that some parents DO NOT deserve to have children. This was and cruel and fullish punishment. The parent should be the one responsible for the child using the bathroom in bed, because if she would have taught him to get up and use the bathroom then we would not have this problem! I feel that ANY parent or ANYBODY that has killed an innocent child should pay the price & be put away FOREVER!
No I don't think that there should b a law for haveing kids. I say this because you never know how that parent will change once that baby is born and they start to learn how to love that little baby. If someone got pregnant and they decided that they where unfit that will be wrong because you never know how fit or unfit the parents are. They might be people who is Just starting to be parent and don't know anything and want to learn how to be a fitted parent.
In my opinion there should not be a law for people having kids. I feel this way because every has a different opinion on how children should be raised. But I do think its a certain way kids should be disciplined. Everyone is intitled to have a child but everyone does not know how to raise one or descipline there child. But the way the boy way punished was very cruel and unreasonable. What kind of parent are you if you dehydrate your child just because they wet the bed? the proper way to handle that is by giving a child a certain time where they cant frink water before bed. THEY DESERVE A DEATH SENTENCE!!!!!!!
Elijah Powell 3B
This doesn't make sense.It shows how stupid parents can be.Water is one of the main things that humans need to survive,so what makes parents think dey can stop a child from drinking water.It's Non-sense.
I dont think there should be a law on who can be a parent and who can't be because you can't tell if someones a bad parent until they had experience being one. I also dont think there should be a test to see if you are a good parent because a test can't prove how good your people skills are. Some side affects of laws like that are: a lowering in the population, a lowering in the ratio of kids to adults, and possibly a riot or protest of angry parents.
Brian Crouse 1B
Post a Comment