Read Here
Do you agree with this idea? Do you think this helps students learn better or enables them to be lazy if they know they'll have extra chances? How would it make you feel if you were a straight A student, knowing these kids have the opportunity to try and try again to turn in late work and re-take tests?
71 comments:
Kevin A. Ruiz 1A
1. Do you agree with this idea?
-There are parts of this act that makes sense to me. Children at that age are too fragile to face a failing grade. In my opinion, only grades 1st-4th should have this policy. I do not agree with the students not facing the consequences of a "0" though.
2. Do you think this helps students learn better or enables them to be lazy if they know they'll have extra chances?
-I believe that forcing the student to retake any assessment until they're able to come with a passing grade on the assessment will help greatly. It does allow them to slack off on assessments but it should be up to the parents to make sure the student doesn't accept a grade as such.
3. How would it make you feel if you were a straight A student, knowing these kids have the opportunity to try and try again to turn in late work and re-take tests?
-If I were a straight A student and these policies were to come into act, I would be a little ticked off. I feel that these policies shouldn't allow students to make up a total 100% so there should be a limit to how many points they are able to make up on the assessment.
I think the lowest grade you can earn us is a horrible idea because it doesn't present a challenge in passing and is letting students off easy by just letting them pass without them even doing work. This rule would make it hard for those students who passed by not doing anything and getting sixties to make it the real world and the job field. I believe giving students extra chances on test will change students study habits because they know if they fail they can take it again. I wouldn't feel that proud of myself of getting straight As in this type of system because I was allowed to retake things and I know another kid got all 60s by not doing anything and my As are 30 points higher then his ds and I did hardwork and he got extra chances and got 60s on work he didn't even do
I Think That The Students Are Getting Well Deserved Zeros. They Should Be Motivated To Pass A Class & If They Arent Motivated To pass By Recieving Failing Grades They Shuldnt Pass The Class Or The Grade At All. Theres No Success Without Struggle & They Should Learn The Struggle By Receiving The Grade They Deserve
Marquis Anbaz
Period: 2Bday
i thinck that stuudents should get the gades they deserve even if it a bad grad it motavates the student to do better in class if a student gets a good grade with out trying there not motivated they will just be lazy and fail in life
Woah! Hold up. To censor my words, no I do not think its a good idea. i think this system babies them and wont prepare them any better. If the child had already took the incentive to just try and learn it the first time and get it right there wouldnt be a need for this policy. I would feel highly upset because these kids are getting what i get for many chances and while they may be doing a lot of work for it they dont work as hard as i do to achieve it.
i do not agree with this idea because i think it would make the students more lazier i think that it wont help students because if they know they had extra chances then they wont do they're work at all that's why they have after school tutoring for if i was a straight a student and known they had more chances i would get lazy too because i know i would still get A's. that wont help students at all because when they go to college they wont be treated the same it would be even more harder for them to learn anything.
belky carbajal
period: 4A
I agree with having report cards because it keeps the child aware of what he/she is doing in each class. It also shows weakness and strenghts in every class you have. I think report Cards does help from experience of my 12 years in school it shows me what i improved in and how much i have succeed.I Dont think its fair a student makes straight A's that done it by hard work and commiment then a student making up test and class/homework, if the student doesnt have a note then he/she should not be able to do make-up work. Danielle May 1a
Gabrielle Griffin 1-B
No, i do not agree with this idea becuase why woudl you pass a kid if they can't read or write their own name. This enables studentsto be lazy if they know they'll have extra chances. I would feel upset becuase they can get good grades without even doing the work correctly, and here I am doing all of my work and doing good in school.
If this is the case some teachers will be on the same lesson for a month if a kid is allowed to keep retaking test.Kids will get out of studying if they know they can retake the test.This is a dumb rule.Children won't try their best on things if they are given a second chance
Honestly I would not care if there was kids out there doin poorly in everything ang getting multiple chances to retake them. I dont think thaat this will help anybody learn better because the kids now a days dont even go to class. so, even though they are skipping class they still get a chance to do it another time.
I do not agree with this idea becuase it makes it harder for colleges and programs for academics to distinguish the good from the bad. I do believe its give kids a chance to be lazy because they will always know they have another chance and they are not aloud to fail. If I were a straight A student I would feel insulted because all my hard work will not be recognized because people will think I have no choice but to get an A, and I did not work hard for it.
I think kids should do there school work and try hard to get good grades instead of joking and playin around and failing.If they do there work or try to make an affort they will deserve a passing grade but if they decide to play around and talk all day and not even try to do there work of course u are gonna get a bad grade.
Autumn Woods
A1
I think kids need cell phones at around 11 or twelve because now a days kids are more mature for their age compared to how we were. I had my first cell phone at about 8 or 9 years old and wasn't responsible enough for them until I was about 13. I would break them on purpose when i got bored with them and get another and repeating. Cell phones are extremely a distraction because of social networks also they are dangerous. Cell phones are good too because I feel as though where ever your child go, school, work, daycare, etc. They are in some type of danger. Cell phones make it easier to communicate with them to see if they are alright.
- Donyah B. 4A
I think students should only get one more chance only if they are actually trying to understand. Giving a student complete leniency is like giving a dig a bone when it doesn't deserve it. It will give students the opportunity to take advantage freely. If a student is just sitting there not attempting to learn they have earned that zero and deserves it.
-Donyah B. 4a
Michael West 4A I think that would be good because that would higher my self confidence but i would want B's and A's. My parent would still look at it as the D being a E because it is the lowest grade you can get so it would not matter to me.
Adam Pinkney 4A
I do not think this is a good idea probably because kids only get those low grades because they don't apply themselves the first time around. If they payed attention and grasped the information the first time there would not be a need for a retake. I think they deserve whatever grade they get. Letting them retake the test isn't going to help them in the long run.
i think that is a good idea. it says grades 3 through 8 and i think it would make them do better becuase they would get annoyed with taking tests over and over so eventually they will study and do good the first time. then when they get in highschool they will already have a habbit of studying and doing things rite the first time
briah clay 1b
I think it's a bad idea mainly because it's unfair. I think it would help the good students learn to be lazy and would worsen the mindset of the already lazy students.If I were a straight A student I don't think I would really care that much because the same privileges would be available for me.
Yes I do agree with this idea and then i dis-agree. I think it would help the students learn better and strive to do better the 1st time. If i were a straight “A” student i wouldn’t let myself get lazy and be like the others, I’ll push myself harder in order to make my grades stay the same. I dis-agree with letting the kids turn in late work. I also dis-agree with students re-taking test for more than twice. I think the students with test grades under a 70 should stay after for extra help.
Acquila Robertson
Period 3b
I think it's a bad idea because for all the kids that actually do their work on time and turn it in with effort deserve more. Students these days tend to get lazy because a lot of teacher provide extra time for them to complete work so they procrastinate a lot. Not saying that extra chances are bad, but it isn't always fair to the person who does their work on time.
Hafiza Memon
Period 1A
I do think this idea will help make sure that students obtain the information they need in order to pass the class and move on to the next level of that coarse. I think that if a student shows he or she is making an effort then they should be given a second chace, but those students who do nothing in class should recieve the zero they rightfully earned. Honestly I think this idea would increase the number of straight A students because the second time around they would become more serious.
Andre Lowery
4A
No I do not agree with this idea. This strategy makes students become lazy if they know they can keep retaking tests, they will not be urgent. They won't care about studying. Since I get mostly A's and a few B's myself, knowing these kids have a million chances to turn stuff in is irritating since I always do my work if possible. I study for tests that are difficult and if others didn't study and kept retaking tests, it would annoy me a little if I did not get a good grade.
Tariq Abdullah- 2A
No I do not agree with this idea because I believe that students would start to become more lazy and slack off alot. I believe that if I was a straight A student I would feel cheated that I had to work so hard, and they dont even have to try.
I agree some what with this because I feel it would make some students work way harder to get As or Bs because 60 would be failing so they of course would want to strive harder for a higher grade, but I also feel like its a a bad idea because then some students would think thats the easy way out and start getting lazy because they know they wont get anything lower than 60 which isnt that bad. i would feel like I'm getting cheated if they keep getting alot of chances because I'm working hard and they are just crusing through highschool with no hard effort put in.
I think its a bad idea because the students that get all A's every quarter don't have any extra chances so no other student should have that luxury. If this idea was to be used more students would be nonchalant about their work
1. I do not agree with this idea as the kids will not do their work if they know their teacher wont pass them and will lower education values.
2. I also believe this idea will enable the students to become lazy as they have no motivation if the lowest grade they can recieve is a C.
3. If I was a straight A student I would feel as though these kids are cheating and that the education of the society is going down as if you have no values, you dont need teachers, parents or anybody.
I do not agree with this idea at all. It just treats the students like babies. Because they want to do this, I see why they struggle when they get to collgege. They become undisciplined and they also expect everyone in life to give them a break. It also enables students to become lazy because they already know that they can get more chances to make up the work or get credit for work they did not do. I am an A student and I know how it feels when students who do not do their work get a free ride. It makes me feel like I am working hard, while someone else is not, and we end up getting the same grade. One thing I do know is that I should continue to do what I am doing because I will be better prepared for college and a step ahead mentally for making my own decisions and being successful.
I find it hard to believe that any student has earned a 0, that means he/she has done absolutely nothing. So I agree with students in grades 3-8 following a No Zero policy. On the other hand I think its almost too coddling to allow students to retake test multiple times until they get decent score. It is possible that the student may not contain the proper knowledge to pass that test. Also students won't receive the privilege of retaking tests unless its due to absence in the future. Students can avoid getting a zero by doing homework and classwork, you may not do well on tests so you can't expect an A or B but you definitely shouldn't get a ZERO.
students should get the grades that the shows how hard they worked. you should get back as much as you give.it sounds like 60 being the lowest grade is just another easy way out,like the no child left behind law.(in the words of mr.mitchell),thats just another way of "b.s spoon-feeding" kids who are around the corner from being grown ups and living their own lives. many kids,especially teens are lazy,and more lazy when it comes to doing work or or putting real work in to acheive their goal(s). if this took place many kids would stay lazy or not care about their work.
i dont agree with this because i feel that if you dont give the child the 0 when he/she deserves it and let them retake work over and over again they will start to alwayz expect that in life and become lazy. That is just the easy route out. maybe i would understand a little more if it said they you get to retake work 1 more time but over and over again until they pass sounds upsurd. thats more unessary stress on a teacher for a student that might not even care enough to pass there word
XAVIER DENNIS
yes i agree because this will help get get better in school and help them get passing grades so everyone will get i high school diploma
kevin holston 2B
I dont agree with this . I say this because most students Barely pass a class with a 60. Therefore the amount of students that fail classes will SKYROCKET. Another reason why i say this is because most students are satisfied with a "60" as long as its passing.
Dyamond Nelson 2b
I dont agree with this . I say this because most students Barely pass a class with a 60. Therefore the amount of students that fail classes will SKYROCKET. Another reason why i say this is because most students are satisfied with a "60" as long as its passing.
Dyamond Nelson 2b
Nahhhh heck yes i love this idea 1 because of us that actually didi slack off in the year and want to get back on track need it. and 2. it will almost promise everyone a college.... i like it and want this to happen at Friendly High School !
-Jyleke (: 2B
I Agree With This We Used To Have This But then they took it away but last time i do believe was a 50% though.I do think that it is a good idea because if that person chooses to try and do better it wouldnt be so hard for them to do that because a 60% is a D i believe and a D is still bad but a E is terrible when your parents look at it
Eric Datcher Jr.2B
No i dont agree with This idea because, some people work hard to get and A or B. Its okay to make-up a test if you did really bad , but you shouldnt be able to turn in make-up work unless you have a excuse. Personally if you dont do anything you deserve lower than a 60%. Its not fair to give chances and chances but some people do things the first time told. If they dont care about their grade why she the teacher. Its not hurting anyone but theirselves. Some parents dont like D's Or E's but some students would rather have a D Than a E.
3B
No I do not agree with that because students work hard for their grades to be where they are. If students know that a 60% is a passing grade, they're not going to work or come to school. If I was a slacker student and I know my grades are never good, the thought of just passing to the next grade will satisfy me and I will never go to class. Kids work to hard for their grades. The amount of work that you do should reflect your GPA. I'm a straight A student and I would feel bad because I work hard for my grades.
- Danyelle Perry 3B
Moises Vargas-Alba 3B
If there was no such things as zeros on a report card I think that students might actually feel better but it also might make students lazier than they are now because they have the fear of failing anymore
I Sorta Agree With This Because Yes It Would Help The Students Learn More But It Would Also (Like Other Student Commented) "Baby" Them. It Would Make Alot Of Stundents Lazy Because They Have Another Chance But Other Students Wouldnt
KaylaFaulk:3B
I Love This Idea..Because Im A Lazy Student This Would Allow Me To Just Cool It In School. I Feel As Though This Would Help Allot Of Kid's Get Better Grades, I Would LOVE Being A Straight A Student I Have Dreams I Wan't To Accomplish But They Start At School.
I totally disagree with this. If you are going to work for a grade then you should be rewarded for your hard work. But if you are not going to do any work then you should get the grade that shows you are not doing anything.
Viviana Guerrero 1A
1. Do you agree with this idea?
No, i dont agree because i think that kids should take a "0" if they didnt do what they sholud of.
2. Do you think this helps students learn better or enables them to be lazy if they know they'll have extra chances?
I think that it will make them lazy because if they dont pass a certain assessment they know that they are able to try over again in tell they pass the test. They dont have to worry about it.
3. How would it make you feel if you were a straight A student, knowing these kids have the opportunity to try and try again to turn in late work and re-take tests? If i was a straight A student i would be kind of mad because is not fair to the students actually passed the test.
I storda agree with this idea it gives students another chance and everyone all ways need another chance but on the bad side im preety sure kids will start to slack off and wont try there hardest so its really up to the teachers should they really allow this.
the last comment was me dontonio burdette 2b
Marcus Lindsay 2a
I totally disagree because giving grades to people who didn't earn them is only going to hurt us because we won't learn the value of working to accomplish something so therefore it's going to contribute to a lazier generation that expects things to be given to them for nothing. The purpose of the grading scale we have is it show us that the work we put in to something can be benefial and gives a sense of fulfillment without that we may as well not even set goals for ourselves if we're just going to have everything handed to us. This is not a perfect world you reap what you sow so make a wise choice and make the proper investment when it comes to your education
I agree because its beneficial for me to master a lesson, but i disagree because i don't want to to be stuck on a lesson to long that ill be behind everyone else in lessons. I think this will help students because i think no student would want to be on a the first lesson for the longest, due to laziness, while others are very far ahead. I will appreciate being a strait a student by having this opportunity because it will look good on my record and it will make my parents proud.
I agree and disagree with this idea. i believe kids should have another chance at some work if most of the class doesnt get it. if its just 5 people that dont get it the class shoould move on. everybody is different some people learn slower then others and they should get tutored if they need help.
i agree and then i dont because some deserve a zero but some do not. if the kids are willing to put forth an effort to get a higher grade then i thnik they deserve it. yes it does help them learn better because if they got the question wrong they can study then they are cappable of knowing the questions answer and more.but the part i dont agree with is that if they dont deserve it then they shouldnt get a second chance life isnt about second chances
I Agree On Having Report Cards Because It Helps You Keep Track On How Are You Doing In School. But if you are failing then that's on you because you are suppose to come to school to learn not to go to sleep and giggle. You shouldn't even go for a low grade because you have it inside of you to do better. But the lowest should be at least a 65 and no lower. And plus you can go back and study everything you got wrong so you will not fail.
I agree with this because the failure rate will decrease tremendously . Most students are satisfied with just a "D"as long as they pass. This will not get you very far in life . This is just setting people up for failure. Aneya Dixon 3b
No I am against the idea because you have to give kids a chance to earn their grades. Yes this gives them a chance to be lazy cause they only have a certain amount of work to do. They wouldn't have anything to work for in school if their given a grade. It makes me upset because everybody should get treated the same way when it comes to turning in work.
I think that this system will help a lot of failing students who don't catch on to the material as quick as their peers. Sometimes students need more attention and more help than others. However, not all students have these issues. Some are just lazy and this will give them an easy way out and allow them to pass with minimal effort. Despite some lazy children, this policy can definately help students grasp all of the material before moving on to something else.
1A
I don't agree with this idea because it's going to give a wrong idea to students and it's not going to get them ready for high school. I think this is a way for them to be lazy because their not going to learn how to work hard for their well deserved grade. of course everybody wants straight A's I get that but getting straight A's with the method of grading these kids are getting I think is unfair because working for that is on thing but being able to do what they get to like what education value are they getting or gaining from that? To me I feel good that I can earn my hard grades because I know all my hard work is paying off in the long run. Knowing these kids have this opportunity I mean for some kids is great because they would need that to get good grades but, other kids it's just a way to say they passed and another way they can be lazy and not know how hard work pays off and that your not going to get grades the easy way.
I Think This A Great Idea To A certain Extent. For Some Students (Like Me) It May be The Extra Help They Need To Make Honor Roll. But For Other Students It May be Another Excuse To Not Do The Work. But iThink This Should Be Put Into Affect As Soon As Possible
I think the idea is good and bad. One reason why I think its a good idea is because some students do try hard on things but still don't get it and they need the material to be reteached. I also, think its a bad idea because some kids will take it as I can be lazy and not do nothing. That wouldn't be fair to students that really know the material and the kids that finally understood the material to move on to the next level. I think teachers should know the students that come in and do there work and try hard between the kids that just don't do nothing at all. But I think we should try this idea for a few months and see how it works out.
Airy Tilghman 1B
i do not agree with this idea because i think it would give students the easy way out, & i also think they wont learn as much because they know they can keep trying over & over on the same assignment & get a better grade. but i also think its a good thing because some students do work hard & not exactly do good on test. while others may take advantage of this.
No I don't agree at all. Even though it would help ample amount of students. Getting a D isn't good. Everybody in the comment section are saying it will help students strive harder? what are you talking about? Why would you strive hard for a D when you can put all the effort and energy to get an A.
i do not think that this is a good idea. i hate how students and people in general are "babied" in this country. they expect everything to be given to them without paying a price. Also, this would not be fair to students who work hard to get good grades because if other kids are given second chances your success wouldnt really show. i think if the government just allowed people to failures in life the economy would be much better. but since the government wants to be a superhero to lazy people we are in the situation we are in now.
marques malone
To me, I feel that the students that fail often, but don't do it on purpose should deserve to have the privilege to be re-teached, but for those who are lazy & take advantage of that privilege should deserve to have a zero so they can work hard and try to get an A in the class. It has both sides to it. It'll make people learn material better and/or make people lazy & make them feel that it's okay to get a bad grade.
To me, having straight A's would make me feel better about myself because it'll tell me that I'm doing the best of my ability to get the best grades that I can. On the other hand, it will challenge other kids/adolescence to try hard and actually try to beat the straight-A-student.
I don't agree with this because it's not fair. A students work hard for their A and E students work hard for that E. Retaking tests is okay, but chances and all that is bull crap... It just wouldnt be fair.
Deche Neal
I'm not in favor to this. I feel as though this defeats the purpose of school. If the lowest grade was a %60 then the people who barley do anything would have things beyond easy and those who work hard for their A's would still have the same amount of work. To me this isn't fair and with this learning wouldn't even be the equation. This in no way can help people learn this will only set up people for failure. And while their being set up for failure their just chilling being lazy as they always were but now their passing. I care about this and don't want it to happen because in a future our youth will be running the world and if we can't handle passing classes in school how are we going to take on the world.
Kevin Washington
I strongly disagree with this idea because this would enable the students too be more lazy knowing that they have multiple chances of re-taking or turning in a late assignment. I would feel angry if I were a straight A students because while i'm working my ass off to pass, theyre slacking and STILL passing.
Daniel Munibez 2a
I am sick of all the second and third chance opportunities for education. If a student isn't serious for his/her grades, they don't deserve to graduate. Why keep lowering the standards? Students are never going to learn anything and eventually you're going to end up with dummies. This is sending the wrong message to kids saying you can slack off and still be okay in life which is a fallacy. I would definitely be discouraged if I was a straight A student and a failing student is getting repeated chances to be like me.
No this isnt a good idea. If you do this then it wouldnt help children any better then now. They would just become more lazier then they already are and some wouldnt even put an extra effort to help themselves.
Ron Phillips 3B..... I don't think it's a good thing to do that because it would not help students it would only make them lazy and not care for school. They would a mind set as If they don't have to do anything, Atleast if they know they can get a "0" they would try.
I think that this policy is fair but not for all grade levels. It is a good idea to help the children who need it but some may abuse it and slack off. At the same time some kids would not agree if others that really deserved the zero dont get it.
Tangier May 3B
I believe this enables students to try hard. It helps it so lazy students can continue to be lazy instead of trying their best. If i was a straight A student i would feel as though it would not be fair.
Jade Ellis 3B
This will make students try less and less to get better grades, It will also be unfair to other students who consistently turn in there work on time, No one will try to be above average they will just barely try to get by.
Javaughn Bowden 1A
1. No, I do not agree with this method, because it seems as if school systems are supporting to handicap students for their GPAs.
2. Yes, I do think that this will allow children to tap in to their lazy actions more this way. If an ill-motivated person gets Ds instead of complete Es or Fs, they will continue to do the minimum.
3. Personally, I am almost a straight A student and this method would upset me if I put in a lot of hard work and get school work right on the first try, while others have multiple chances to get school work right. If it would upset me, then I would assume that it would upset consistant straight A students
Nooooooo, if that plan was to go down, it should include high school too lol. But seriously thats the worst idea i ever heard of. If that happens that means kids will be even more lazy than they already are.
Terrell Proctor
2A
I Believe that if every kid gets a chance to retake a test that they failed on then its ok with me. Because if you just let them fail then they wont understand the information so they will forget about it but if you reteach it to them then maybe they will get it the second time. If i was a straight A student then i would feel the same because i know the information and i wouldn't have to take the same tests over and over again so i could cheer on the people but i wouldn't feel jealous.
1/28/12
Post a Comment