Check School Announcements at: http://friendlyhsdailyannouncements.blogspot.com/

Monday, February 20, 2012

Government Drug Testing

Congress passed a new law for people receiving Unemployment benefits:

Read Here

How will this law affect states? What amendment might this law violate? Do you think it should extend to all welfare recipients? Do you agree with this law? Why or why not?

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

This law will affect the states budget, now they have to put out more money for a drug test. Which could eliminate the taxes being brought in due to drug test. This law may be a violation of the 4th amendment "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." I think that would fall under the search and seizure. I do believe that the law should extend to all welfare recipients to find a reason of why they are unemployed. However I do not agree with this law it is a violation of privacy.
- Charlene Talbott
1A SOCIAL ISSUES

Abdul-Med Bangura 1B said...

The law suggested here would affect the states budgeting. Taxes for drug test are regulated for citizens to use, so if test are required more frequently, then taxes towards citizens may raise to higher prices. This law may be a violation of the 4th amendment "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Also, the tenth amendment," reserves to the states respectively, or to the people, any powers the Constitution did not delegate to the United States, nor prohibit the states from exercising". This law should not extend to welfare recipients because it can hurt the under class workers and hinder American efforts more on getting citizens jobs. I disagree with this law because it subjects the citizens to unproven accusations of drug use and abuse. The amendments listed above are violated because the state governments MUST give these tests to contemporary people.

Diamond Murphy 1A said...

This law will affect the states budget with them putting out more money for useless stuff. The law is violating the 4th amendment with secure people personal business. No, it shouldn't extend to everybody on welfare because so people really are struggling taking care of their kids. No I do not agree with this law because it is violating the privacy of people personal lives.

Angel Johnson 4A said...

I think it only makes sense that if your applying for a job that requires a drug test you would want to deal with it as soon as possible, therefore increasing your chances of getting the job (if your clean). Those people who have gotten fired for flunking a drug test should want this to be requirement so they can apply for a job without people prejudging based off their passed mistakes. If they take this test sooner than later they can clear their name early on.

jasmine horton 1b said...

jasmine horton 1b

this law would affect the number of jobs and also the budget i think it is kind of a pro and con beacuse the pro would be if people need that job then i think they would get off drugs in order ito allpy for that juo. But the con would be people because some would stay off that drug for an amount of time in order to get that fjob and pass hte drug test.Testing for these people i think is useless because there is more things need to be done with that money then testing people.

Anonymous said...

This particular law would defiantly affect the amount of jobs there are. In fact there may be a decrease in the amount of jobs being distributed because now and days many people are abusing drugs in different ways by smoking different products such as tobacco and marijuana.The states budget would also be affected maybe even loss of money.

Karisa Johnson 4A

Anonymous said...

THIS LAW WOULD AFFECT STATE BUDGETTING WHICH WOULD MAKE THEM HAVE TO PUT MORE MONEY TOWARDS DRUG TEST, I PERSONALL THINK THIS LAW IS VIOLATEING THE 4TH AMENDMENT. THIS LAW CAN ALSO AFFECT JOBS, THE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS LAW IS THAT PEOPLE WOULD GET OFF DRUGS SO THEY CAN APPLY FOR JOBS
XAVIER DENNIS

Anonymous said...

I think that putting money towards drug testing is a waste of money for people who need a job or want one. For one you should of been off drugs because too much drugs can kill you which is very tragic. For me I think the state can lose some money from this because some people may think they are doing to much just to let them have a job. So this could be advantage or a disadvantage for the state.
KAYLA MITCHAM 3B

Anonymous said...

They Talk About How This Drug Test Would Help The "The Jobless" But They Are Actually Doing More Harm. Plus You Are Really Just Wasting Money On Buying Drug Tests And I Agree With Abdul-Med Bangura This Is Violate The 4th Amendment. I Do And Don't Agree Because It Could Help Alot Of Jobs But It Could Harm The States Budget's.


KaylaFaulk:3B

Jarrel Bailey said...

I think that this could affect the states by people having less jobs. People taking more drug classes. More people could get fired and plenty of more. I do not see how this is violating the amendments. I don't think this should extend to welfare recipients. And no I do not agree with this law.

I'mUptown_ said...

This law could affect many states like Maryland. It could lower the amount of people who have jobs and if they can ever work anymore. This law is violating the fourth Amendment. I Believe that it should because everyone should get the same treatment as everyone else no one should be treated differently. I don't agree with this law because even if you are going to fire people from jobs your also hurting yourself. Because your spending almost 75$ on the test so if you test everyone then you will have spent thousands even millions so just keep it the way it always has.

Terrell Proctor
2A

Shannon Weaver 2A said...

This will affect the states in many different ways. Many people wouldn't be able to get jobs. People can also get fired. This will be violating the 4th Amendment. The people on welfare should be expected to do the same thing as well. Yes I do agree with this law. No one wants a drug addict working for them and to prevent it take the test is the simplest way.

Anonymous said...

I do not agree with this law. The 4th amendment would be violated.The state's budget is already limited . I dont understand why they would spend money on things like this instead of things way more important such as education. The 4th amendment would be violated.
Dyamond Nelson
2b

Sean Williams 1A said...

I think this new law will hurt the "DMV", because 75% of the African American teens in the DC, Maryland, Virginia area smokes marijuana, and it will be more unemployed people in the DC metro area.

Anonymous said...

This law violates the 4th amendment, I don't agree with it, Maryland will lose money as a result to this. Less people will have a job because they would find a lot of people fail the test.


Deche Neal

Anonymous said...

This law will affect states because it will cause them to increase the budget so that the drug testing can be done. Although this violates the 4th Amendment i agree with it. The governments needs to stop being so "Politically Correct" all the time and do what is right regardless of the constitution. Yes i think this should extend to welfare recipients because a lot of them do use drugs and i dont want somebody cooking my fries who is high

Marques malone

Rayven Jones 2A said...

This law would effect states because they would lose money for all the drugs test they would have to pay for. But it also may help there business because if you hired drug-free employees most likely they are going to work better then the ones using drugs. The amendment that this law may violate is the 4th amendment. I think it should extend to everybody. I agree to this law because I think businesses would do better with drug-free employees. They wouldn't be as lazy and more into there work.

Danae NayNay said...

This law will affect the states in either two ways. One it could lower the rate of unemployment because people will pass the drug test or it will increase unemployment rate because many people will fail it and won't be able to get the jobs that they want or need. This law violates amendment 4. I do think it should extend to welfare recipients because they want a job just like everyone else and just because your on welfare doesn't mean you shouldn't have to do the same think like everyone else. In way I do agree with this because for certain jobs you need a drug test. Like if you want a government job then you need a drug test. But if you get a job like a cashier or something like that then no I don't think that you would need a drug test. It all depends what job you want and the job your looking for.

Pretty.Boy.Millionaire☆ said...

I believe this law will affect the state’s budget because they will now have to hire more people to issue the drug test out and they will have to pay more money for a drug test. This could eliminate the taxes being brought in due to drug test. This law may be a violation of the 4th amendment "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." I think that would fall under the search and seizure. The state's budget is already limited. I dont understand why they would more spend money on things like this instead of things way more important such as education etc. But I do believe that the law should extend to all welfare recipients to find a reason of why they are unemployed. However I do not agree with this law it is a violation of privacy.

Anonymous said...

It will affect states by lowering the unemployment rate. If people know that in order for them to get a job, they have to pass a drug test, then they will not do drugs. It will violate the 4th Amendment. Yes, it should extend to welfare recipients. It should extend to them because they want a job like everybody else. I do agree with this law because people should know what they are doing when they are working. But i think for certain jobs it should not matter.

Aneya Dixon 3B

Kelly Catama: 2B said...

This law will affect states because if workers can prove that they're drug-free, then they're more likely to be hired. In this case, the amendment that it violates is Amendment 4, which is unreasonable search & seizure. I think that it should only go to welfare recipients that want to try it. I don't agree with the law because it's a drug test! if someone tries it & gets hurt, the people who created the drug test are to blame for!