I do think a new law would help increase the number of high school graduates because you would figure that most of the students would make the best of the time while they are in school but then again it may not work because id they don't want to do the work then they wont do it. I disagree when they say "replacing large high schools with smaller learning communities where poor students can get individualized instruction from dedicated teachers has been shown to be effective" because a lot of these teachers today carry the attitude that they get paid regardless and a lot of students do not learn anything. I would suggest that you provide incentives to make people want to do better in school.
I think the law would keep more kids in school. It can change a students life. Grades in schools can look higher than ever. I disagree because some kids might still not care and break laws. That might make a school system look like it is on lock down because of actions in the past but thats my opinions. Michael West 4A
Yes I think a new law would help increase the rate of high school graduates and decrease the rates of dropouts. A part I do agree with would be 80 percent of white and Asian students graduate from high school, compared with only 55 percent of blacks and Hispanics. A part of the article that I disagree with would be replacing large high schools with smaller learning communities where poor students can get individualized instruction. Other suggestions I could offer would be for teacher to just believe in their students, and when they need the help, help them.
I dont think that creating a law that forces teens to stay in school would be very effective if they dont want to be their anymore because all they are going to do is distract others from obtaining their academic goals and waste space in the school. All high schools care about is their graduation rate so that their school looks good. I think that high school should prepare you for life as an adult not just try and send you to college because not everybody wants to go to college but the majority of teens are going to be adults. Maybe if schools change how they prepare their students for life then school would be more effective
I think the new law would help students out and keep them in school.They will have a different view towards learning and there grades will improve. I disagree because you will still have kids that are lazy wanna waste time or play around and do nothin but fight all the time and get suspended. that will make the school look like its out of control because of the foolishness these kids are doing in schools in are young generation.
Look heres the thing MR. Obama it doesn't matter what the drop out age is the government which is you is dumbing down student like us so when we get older we are government slaves.Screw you MR.Government because you are a snaky son of a ***** and your father is Satan if the dropout age you change helps the economy go right ahead but I don't think it will,All the republicans are pure idiots so Obama just lead the damn country in the right direction on your second term.Ho about you focus on something more important Obama people should have free will.But hold right quick I do think people that drop out should go to jail because they are gonna end up somewhere.Change your rules Mr Obama and screw you republican bastards have a goodnight God Bless.
I think that this new law could make more students graduate but it might because all kids don't want to keep going to school. Some kids stay home all day even if they are not 18. But at the same time it could help because this might want kids to graduate faster. But if this happens some people might might go straight into college after they graduate. But in all I think that this would be a good idea.
By inputting a new law making high school attendance mandatory. It would increase graduations. But maybe not college graduations since it is supposedly 4 years. However The plan could also backfire because the will to succeed lies within themselves and some just don't see opportunities in high school or college.
I think that this law will help the high school drop-out rate become lower. Also this can help with minority act and help hispanic and african-american get ahead. I agree that they should increase the salary of teachers that teach k-12, because teachers do not get as much benefits as they should. And I don't disagree with anything in this article. I would suggest have help program for students that have drop out of school and help them get a high school diploma.
I do believe the act will help because students will be 18 when they are graduates and if their not they will be pretty close and realize that they might as well finish high school. But I do think they should keep the communities and schools they same because teachers will feel as if they are needed so much they dont have to work as hard. But I personally would try to assure that there is better college opportunities because then maybe more student would lokk foward to college degrees.
I think that making this law is a last resort for some teenagers. Many highschool students aren't interested in having good grades and sadly their are quite a bit of students that don't care whether they graduate or not. This law is just elaborating on the issue and giving these students with thoughts of giving up on education another chance. There are some reasons this law may not fall through. The main reason is that some students are stubborn and prone to disobedience,these students may never have intentions of graduating. Some students just need a helping hand and this law could be that for them, while others just need to be out in the real world and have some knowledge installed into them.
#Donaldmore period4a I honestly think their should be a new law that require student's of the age of 18 to only complete the important work, to get their credits.In whatever is needed because it's not a fair chance in life, that no student in highschool that's struggling to pass should fail so easily,. Or dropout for a GED,i do agree on to make such attendance compulsory in every state . like obama said
i think obama's suggestion to change the drop out age is a good idea because a new law will help more students graduate and at first they may be upset but then they would know that graduating would have payed off and i agree with the article when it says "suggests that some of the most promising approaches need to start even earlier: preschool for 3- and 4-year-olds" another suggestion i would offer is that to students who are failing they should have an after school program to help them so they would be able to get a better understanding of what they are being taught belky carbajal period:4a
I Don't Think That Making This Law Will Do Anything You Cant Force Someone To Stay In School They Do What They Want And The Parents Should Help Out Thier Kids They Can't Force Ethier Bur They Can Encourage Thier Child To Want To Do Something With Thier Lifes But Obama Plan Or Idea Is Wonderful He Is Showing That He Cares For The Kids Which Is Good Some Parents Don't Care And That's Prob Why The Students Don't.
I honestly don't believe this law would quite help much. A simple law wouldn't change the fact that some teens refuse to attempt to do anything nor make any effort while in school. School is not for everyone. Although without school some jobs/ careers can be limited we should have a choice of whether we want to be in a school setting. There are other alternatives of getting education such as a trade school or job corp. Most importantly in life you have to want things for yourself you have to want to make that change or have to have goals YOU want to achieve, dreams you want to pursue. No one gives you a chance you have to take chances. Creating the law is a great way to keep children and teens off the street but not helping them want their education.
i think that a new law may and may not make a difference in students because some students and parents may listen to that law and actually go to school and graduate but at the same time they may just go and decide not to do there work and still not graduate. although i think that many students should always try and at least make an effort to graduate because that way they can get into some jobs with thier highschool diploma.
Obama's suggestion to change the drop out age is very good because this will decrease the drop out rate. I also believe that If students are unable to drop out, they will be forced to graduate from high school. When they graduate, they are more likely to go to college. When people go to college, they usually end up getting satisfying paying jobs. When people get jobs, their money adds to the tax collection. When the United States have more taxes, there will be more funding for schools, the United States will come out of debt quicker, poor families can get more government assistance, and more benefits.
From the the article the new law of decreasing the dropout rate could help some students to be successful in their future and some students might try to find their way around the law. I might agree with the article on the subject that this law would help bring the student to college because the law will force the students complete high school and have a better chance of getting into a college they would like.I could offer nothing else since the system seem to have the requirements for their students to try to become successful in their future.
i think this law is a great law because it would actually keep kids in school more and tests would improve so majority of the schools would get 10/10. jamal hailey 2b
Yes the new law would help. If all states followed the law for no child left behind there would be more graduates. More kids would complete high school then college, then make the future better. Over 11 years over a trillion dollars from them would be made to the U.S. I agree with the part with getting quality teachers being hired.
President obama law about having students stay in school until their are 18 years old is very helpful for young people today because withhout an education, they can;t get a high-paying job. The disadvantage in this is that some student would probably think that they will be stuck in school by law and that would be the ignorant students that think they are trapped by the government. My opinion on this is that all student should stay in school until 18 year old anyway, period point blank.
I dont think this law will effect the drop out rate at all. I believe if a student younger than 18 wants to drop out of school they will. But it is good that President Obama shows interest in his countries educational system.
I don't think that a new law would effect the drop out rate because people do what they want to do. It's true that most of the drop outs are Black African Americans. That's a very sad case but it is true. Whites and Asians are on top of their game they take education and a life a much more serious than Blacks. I don't think there's nothing that can be done to increase the drop out rate because honestly people really don't care. It's really nice that the president cares for his people but the real problem is his people don't care for themselves.
1. Do you think a new law would help? -I think a new law could provide some support to the problem but it wouldn't solve it. People are becoming more and more lazier with many ways to just slide by in high school. By thinking this way, they think dropping out isn't that big of a deal so a new law would help just a little bit.
2. What parts of the article make you agree or disagree? - I agree with the 7 of 10 ninth graders today will get high school diplomas. It doesn't seem that much but when compared to a whole, its drastic. I agree that younger folk are becoming more unaware of what life will be like after high school also.
3.What other suggestions could you offer? -I suggest parents take more of an active role in a child's life. When a child is losing focus in school, somebody is needed to smack them back into shape. If nobody does, they'll stay lost in class and lose interest in an education.
I believe the new law will help because it would motivate students to stay in school and get better grades. In the artice they said the nubers would rise to 7 out of 10 kids getting a diploma and I believe that would be a great thing to accomplish. I dont agree with it seeming like the kids are gonna be forced to stay in school but sometimes thats what it takes to get them somewhere in life. I think that making school more exctiting and a fun learning enviroment can help.
DeAndre' Davis 2A In some cases a new law would help, but I am a little skeptical about this because even though they are trying to make a new law to take off 2 years before you dropout students will still just wait until they get 18 and never cross the stage for that important piece of paper. I think honestly they shouldn't implement a dropout age because either way you put it if people want to they will still not even show up... and if they do there will be no interest in what is going on. The only part on here I will agree on is the money area mostly because if students dont drop out it's more money NATIONALLY if you think about it, or maybe its just me because I love the meaning, word, and saying of money, having it is sooooo much better.
Yes I do believe a new law would help increase the rate of high school graduates and may decrease the rates of dropouts.besides kids still doing what they decide inspite of what people try to tell them,the law may still make a opportunity for that one student who trys to get back on the right track at the last minute.most of the drop outs are usually African Americans.
I agree with the 7 of 10 ninth graders today will get high school diplomas.that can drastically change nd rates of graduates by increasing.
i suggest that more parents do motivate their kids to go through with the many series of education in life. they should acknowledge the fact of their wrong doing but also encourage them to work harder and do better.
I think the law is helping us. They're which I i mean government wants to keep kids in school. This might sink into a kids head and make him think about being succesful in school and in ife.
I think the law would improve a lot of things and would be a very successful law. The law would enforce education a lot more than education is handled today.The outcomes of this law would bring more graduates and highly educated students. The age 16 to me personally is too young to be able to drop out of school or for anyone to have the right to put you at. But I strongly agree with the fact that the law would bring more graduates in this world. I would also suggest they think of mandatory programs for those younger children who seem to be on the wrong path in life with making the right decisions.Education is one of the most important of them all but most children fail to realize that today in society,because even though I have the brains to be more than what i am i didnt use them and when i look back i wish i did.
I really think the law will not change anything, I mean i still think therre are like 100 Friendly High students thats goin to drop out lol. The law really wont make a difference, if a student randomly stops commin to school what are the police goin to do ? Kick in the student door and take them to school by force ? I dont think so.
I think a new law should be made to keep students in school intil they turn 20. It may sound stupid but you will not make it in society with a high school diploma. Maybe they should drop all the test that students have to take so they can pass or graduate and just let the learn.
I think a new law would help to a certain extent. This way if a student doesn't understand somethingin his or her classes they would have to do thier best to figure it out versus giving up and dropping out. The part of the article that made me agree was when they gave the statistics on the drop out rate.
Do you think a new law would help? Yes, the new law would at least allow children to get a high school degree. They can at least have a high school education when applying to a job. What parts of the article make you agree or disagree? I disagree about the fact it would cost more money to force children to graduate. If they do in fact graduate and/or get jobs and learn how to function in society, their tax dollars and wealth will flow back to the schools and the government. What other suggestions could you offer? There shouldn't only be laws, but also a supporting culture. Adults should promote and encourage high school graduation. Many kids believe they can live without the degree which causes some of the dropouts.
Extra Article: http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full_story/17397840/article-School-dropout-rate-encouraging--but-more-work-to-be-done?instance=popular, http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/02/calls_to_raise_high_school_dro.html
I don't think they should change the drop out age. We already owe allot of cash to other countries. How much money will they have to use to pay extra teachers cause if no one drops out classes will be to large and will need to separate. New class needs a teacher and teacher needs money.
I think the law would help. Depending on the person and how much effort and time they put into schoolwork. If the age is raised , the high school dropout rate will decrease . However , pg county will have a very high percentage of dropouts just for the simple fact of disinterest. Dyamond Nelson 2b
I do think a new law would help. I disagree that it will cost alot of money, but whatever we have to do to stop getting kids to drop out of school, then we need to do that. I agree when the article said lower how many kids are in one class, have individualized help if they children need it. I suggest that we try to find another way to help without using as much money, but if we cant them keep the same plan.
Yes, i do think that a new law would help increase the amount of high school graduates in some ways because maybe some kids need more time than others and will take advantage of the opportunity but for other they may not care about getting a diploma and look at the law as nothing special. I Would disagree where it states that many Americans would believe this can't be done because of expenses, i think if this was an important law to majority then this law would be enforced regardless of the price. I Suggest that parents also encourage there children because just because there is a new law doesn't mean children are going to pay it any attention.
I do think That This Law Will Help,, i also agree that "High school completion is, of course, the most significant requirement for entering college. While our economic competitors are rapidly increasing graduation rates at both levels, we continue to fall behind. Educated workers are the basis of economic growth — they are especially critical as sources of innovation and productivity given the pace and nature of technological progress. I believe if we can do better it will better the economy.
I do think a new law would help the number of dropouts decrease because your parents would get punish if you don't go to school so they wouldn't have a choice but to force you .The part that makes me disagree with this statement it would cost more money to force children to graduate. That's not even accurate , because education is free , but if your talking about summer school than yes
From the the article 'the new law of decreasing the dropout rate' could help some students to be successful in their future. i think this because if you complete high school you might actually consider going to college,considering you did all those yrs of school . i disagree when it said that it cant be done because of expenses,because i believe if people really wanted this law,it will be enforced regardless of any price, and overall this will help the new generation of America & it will help more & more be successful.
Airy Tilghman 1B
extra article >http://articles.cnn.com/2009-05-05/us/dropout.rate.study_1_dropouts-enrollment-graduations?_s=PM:US
I believe that it is fully up to the student to choose what they wanna do with their education. There shouldn't be any type of law. its kinda pointless. By making a new law that makes kids and teachers have to adapt to something new that they wouldn't like.
Yes because it would keep more kids in school.The part I agree with is the part that it will help increase a drop out rate. That you just wont be able to go drop out at all, in order to receive a diploma you have to attend all 4 years.
I Think a new law would not help.The reason why is because students these days are becoming less attached to school now that even if they made a new law it still would not help so no a new law would not help.And beside majoirty of the drop out is african american.I agree with the 7 of 10 ninth graders will get the a high school diploma because there active and ready.My suggestions i could offer is that if the people who want to drop out of school drop out then let it be its their life they want to live.Let the people stay in school and get an education so yeah.Ebo Otuya-2B
So It Really Dose not Matter If They In force This Law Because Kids Can Not Follow This Law Even Though Going To School Is A Really Big Prt Of Succeeding In Life And Continue On To Collage .But On The Other Hand It Will Probably Keep More Population Of Kids In School
No i dont think a new law will help kids graduate because kids will still drop out. the parts if the article that make me disagree is the part were they are talking about only 7 of 10 ninth graders today will get high school diplomas.other suggestions i could offer is that students how are doing bad in classes take night school or go to summer school or take a class after school so they can graduate on time. Deaunte Watson 4A
I believe that a new age law would help improve the people graduating in high school because this gives many teenagers to think about what they want to do in their life and if they really want to succeed in life.I agree that they should change the age to when they get into college not at 18 maybe at around 20.
No i do not think that a new law would help because that would make people procrastinate more, and there would be a ton of adults in school. I disagree because students still won't care if they break laws cause its cool. i would offer to let kids drop out of high school when ever they want because they deserve their freedom to.
this law wont change anything because if a student feels that they cant finish high school then they will drop out with no question what the law should do is help the people who do drop out be able to get in job co or offer help to those people and work with them to get their GED but i feel this law will do nothing
The law is stupid. If (I) as a student wanted to drop out then I would want to drop out no matter if Im 18 or 13. Making the student stay is only making the PGPCS grades look worse. The student(s) that wan't to drop out would just fail there work,test etc...So why not let them leave and do whatever they wan't to do?
I do think that making a law that says children can not graduate until they are 18 is a good idea. If they children are forced to stay in school them the drop out rate will decrease dramatically. But if the students do not want to be there they will show that they don't want to be there. It will show in there class work, home work and test grades. But overall I think that the law is a good idea.
I think the suggestion to change the drop out age will not help because it might discourage some lazy people from attending school. There should be a law that will decrease the number of drop outs, however. Education has no price, but a new law woud give some students something to think about. Mandatory night school, or summer school. regardless of the expenses, night school or summerschool should give students a reason to do better. Suggestiosns would be that they make a law forcing students to take summer/night school in iorder to graduate.
I Think That The New Law Will Help For Some Students. But For Others That Just Dont Like School Will Just Stop Comming To School,Which Will Then Get Parents In Trouble. Or The Students Will Just Stop Doing The Work And Their Grades Will Decrease Drasticallyy Then It Will Make The Schhol Look Bad. So I Think The Law Has Negative And Positive Affects
I honestly do not agree with any part of this proposal. This law is not needed and i'm sick of free rides. This nation is getting dumber and dumber because parents, and apparently even Congress wants to baby and cripple this country's youth. No Child Left Behind Was bad enough, if kids are idiotic and don't complete the necessities then why give them an even THIRD chance at graduating. This law is bogus and Obama, like Mitt Romney will do anything to get in office.
I somewhat agree with this proposal. I agree that making it so a child must be 18 to dropout will decrease the dropout rate. At the same time you cannot expect this to fix everything. this law still wouldnt ensure that the students become productive citizens. I think that is the problem with the country today. Everyone wants a "quick fix" instead of a full effect solution. marques malone 4a
This law wont help anyone that doesnt want help. If a student wants to stay in highschool & be sucessful he has the choice to stay there while he can, therefore there is no need for this waiste of money. Their going to make poeple who graduated and stayed in school pay for thoes drop outs on the run down. Its not fair and we shouldn't have to. Students are make their choice now, while their in highschool. I know its a good thing for the country to have this law but its more taxes and the U.s can't afford to barrow more money on top of what we all ready owe. Thoes who want to be drop outs will be no matter what a law forgives them for .
I believe that this law would help a lot of people go far in life, but the thing is kids should have a right to what they want to do and what they do not want to do. making this sort of law doesn't allow a person to have the chose of what they want to do with there life. a part i agree with in this artical was "If we could reduce the current number of dropouts by just half, we would yield almost 700,000 new graduates a year, and it would more than pay for itself. Studies show that the typical high school graduate will obtain higher employment and earnings — an astonishing 50 percent to 100 percent increase in lifetime income — and will be less likely to draw on public money for health care and welfare and less likely to be involved in the criminal justice system. Further, because of the increased income, the typical graduate will contribute more in tax revenues over his lifetime than if he’d dropped out." this is very much true its just not everybody is going to agree with this and and not everybody wants to go through high school. The government should not control our lives we should.
I believe that this law could help many people but at the same time the students have to want to attend school. Creating this law could be difficult because of the number of kids who do bad in school and dropout. Being though that "ONLY 21 states require students to attend high school until they graduate or turn 18" is a little unfair because some kids might need the extra time so this law could be helpful and increase the rate of students staying in school. The cost of creating this law will be expensive but very helpful, "increased education does, indeed, improve skill levels and help individuals to lead healthier and more productive lives"
I think the law would help high school drop-outs so it would increase the number of people being in school and help them to have a better career. I agree about the part when they said there would be 80 percent of white and Asian students graduate from high school, compared with only 55 percent of blacks and Hispanics.
with that said, I feel like there's nothing more to say.
1. Do you think a new law would help? -I believe a new law would help the problem but it wouldn't really solve it. People are becoming more and more lazier with many ways to just slide by in high school. By thinking this way, they think dropping out isn't that big of a deal so a new law would help just a little bit.
2. What parts of the article make you agree or disagree? - I do agree with the 7 of 10 ninth graders today will get high school diplomas. It doesn't seem that much but when compared to a whole, its drastic. I agree that younger folk are becoming more unaware of what life will be like after high school also.
3.What other suggestions could you offer? -I think if parents take more of an active role in a child's life, when their child is losing focus in school, somebody is needed to smack them back into shape. If nobody does, they'll stay lost in class and lose interest in an education.
i personally think that making this law can help and not help. i say that because if somebody want to drop out but is forced to stay, its going to make them show out and act any kind of way because they dont want to do the work and dont want to be there. that can lower the school's overall test scores. it can be good because there would be more successful high school graduates than there are now. ChynaM 3B
I believe that this law is truly for the best. Children today have very lax laws and many privileges. At the end of the day, all we have is education. Some appreciate it more than others. However, being required to stay in school longer will not only broaden they're education, but give them more time to decide what they would like to do in life. It may also make people more eligible for jobs.
I suggest that there should be a precise age limit (I.e. 17,9 months). That way children have a better understanding and technically they will be able to drop out before 18 if desired.
yes, i do think a new law would help with an decrease in high school dropouts.the parts of the article that made agree with it was when they made the comparison of the percentages with whites, asians, blacks and hispanics.Other suggestions would be better programs, help with counseling if problems at home, and more encouragement.
No, I don't think this law will help only because of stubbornness. If a child doesn't want to attend school and is forced to anyway, I can guarantee that the student will either flunk out or be extremely insubordinate. I suggest they offer counseling with students who are thinking about dropping out.
Ron Phillips 3B..... I think if they make a law about kids that drop out of school, changing the age range would be good cause at the age 16. Not having to go to school anymore is not a good thing and you can still be lead by the wrong crowd and not have your own mind set. So I think they should make kids go to school into they are 18 and if they don't it should be something done bout it.
i think that it really doesn't matter if they change the drop out age because when you drop out you just stop going to school. every kid has a different reason for dropping some just get tiered of school find it hard or for some other reason.
69 comments:
I do think a new law would help increase the number of high school graduates because you would figure that most of the students would make the best of the time while they are in school but then again it may not work because id they don't want to do the work then they wont do it. I disagree when they say "replacing large high schools with smaller learning communities where poor students can get individualized instruction from dedicated teachers has been shown to be effective" because a lot of these teachers today carry the attitude that they get paid regardless and a lot of students do not learn anything. I would suggest that you provide incentives to make people want to do better in school.
I think the law would keep more kids in school. It can change a students life. Grades in schools can look higher than ever. I disagree because some kids might still not care and break laws. That might make a school system look like it is on lock down because of actions in the past but thats my opinions. Michael West 4A
Yes I think a new law would help increase the rate of high school graduates and decrease the rates of dropouts. A part I do agree with would be 80 percent of white and Asian students graduate from high school, compared with only 55 percent of blacks and Hispanics. A part of the article that I disagree with would be replacing large high schools with smaller learning communities where poor students can get individualized instruction. Other suggestions I could offer would be for teacher to just believe in their students, and when they need the help, help them.
Acquila Robertson
Period 3b
I dont think that creating a law that forces teens to stay in school would be very effective if they dont want to be their anymore because all they are going to do is distract others from obtaining their academic goals and waste space in the school. All high schools care about is their graduation rate so that their school looks good. I think that high school should prepare you for life as an adult not just try and send you to college because not everybody wants to go to college but the majority of teens are going to be adults. Maybe if schools change how they prepare their students for life then school would be more effective
Andre Lowery
4A
I think the new law would help students out and keep them in school.They will have a different view towards learning and there grades will improve. I disagree because you will still have kids that are lazy wanna waste time or play around and do nothin but fight all the time and get suspended. that will make the school look like its out of control because of the foolishness these kids are doing in schools in are young generation.
Autumn Woods
1A
Look heres the thing MR. Obama it doesn't matter what the drop out age is the government which is you is dumbing down student like us so when we get older we are government slaves.Screw you MR.Government because you are a snaky son of a ***** and your father is Satan if the dropout age you change helps the economy go right ahead but I don't think it will,All the republicans are pure idiots so Obama just lead the damn country in the right direction on your second term.Ho about you focus on something more important Obama people should have free will.But hold right quick I do think people that drop out should go to jail because they are gonna end up somewhere.Change your rules Mr Obama and screw you republican bastards have a goodnight
God Bless.
I think that this new law could make more students graduate but it might because all kids don't want to keep going to school. Some kids stay home all day even if they are not 18. But at the same time it could help because this might want kids to graduate faster. But if this happens some people might might go straight into college after they graduate. But in all I think that this would be a good idea.
By inputting a new law making high school attendance mandatory. It would increase graduations. But maybe not college graduations since it is supposedly 4 years. However The plan could also backfire because the will to succeed lies within themselves and some just don't see opportunities in high school or college.
I think that this law will help the high school drop-out rate become lower. Also this can help with minority act and help hispanic and african-american get ahead. I agree that they should increase the salary of teachers that teach k-12, because teachers do not get as much benefits as they should. And I don't disagree with anything in this article. I would suggest have help program for students that have drop out of school and help them get a high school diploma.
-Nace Denton-Hurst 4A
I do believe the act will help because students will be 18 when they are graduates and if their not they will be pretty close and realize that they might as well finish high school. But I do think they should keep the communities and schools they same because teachers will feel as if they are needed so much they dont have to work as hard. But I personally would try to assure that there is better college opportunities because then maybe more student would lokk foward to college degrees.
I think that making this law is a last resort for some teenagers. Many highschool students aren't interested in having good grades and sadly their are quite a bit of students that don't care whether they graduate or not. This law is just elaborating on the issue and giving these students with thoughts of giving up on education another chance. There are some reasons this law may not fall through. The main reason is that some students are stubborn and prone to disobedience,these students may never have intentions of graduating. Some students just need a helping hand and this law could be that for them, while others just need to be out in the real world and have some knowledge installed into them.
#Donaldmore period4a
I honestly think their should be a new law that require student's of the age of 18 to only complete the important work, to get their credits.In whatever is needed because it's not a fair chance in life, that no student in highschool that's struggling to pass should fail so easily,. Or dropout for a GED,i do agree on to make such attendance compulsory in every state . like obama said
#Lastpost DonaldMoore period 4a
i think obama's suggestion to change the drop out age is a good idea because a new law will help more students graduate and at first they may be upset but then they would know that graduating would have payed off and i agree with the article when it says "suggests that some of the most promising approaches need to start even earlier: preschool for 3- and 4-year-olds" another suggestion i would offer is that to students who are failing they should have an after school program to help them so they would be able to get a better understanding of what they are being taught
belky carbajal
period:4a
I Don't Think That Making This Law Will Do Anything You Cant Force Someone To Stay In School They Do What They Want And The Parents Should Help Out Thier Kids They Can't Force Ethier Bur They Can Encourage Thier Child To Want To Do Something With Thier Lifes But Obama Plan Or Idea Is Wonderful He Is Showing That He Cares For The Kids Which Is Good Some Parents Don't Care And That's Prob Why The Students Don't.
Last Post Lyric Freeman P:2A
I honestly don't believe this law would quite help much. A simple law wouldn't change the fact that some teens refuse to attempt to do anything nor make any effort while in school. School is not for everyone. Although without school some jobs/ careers can be limited we should have a choice of whether we want to be in a school setting. There are other alternatives of getting education such as a trade school or job corp. Most importantly in life you have to want things for yourself you have to want to make that change or have to have goals YOU want to achieve, dreams you want to pursue. No one gives you a chance you have to take chances. Creating the law is a great way to keep children and teens off the street but not helping them want their education.
Karisa Johnson 4A
i think that a new law may and may not make a difference in students because some students and parents may listen to that law and actually go to school and graduate but at the same time they may just go and decide not to do there work and still not graduate. although i think that many students should always try and at least make an effort to graduate because that way they can get into some jobs with thier highschool diploma.
katherine v
2a
Obama's suggestion to change the drop out age is very good because this will decrease the drop out rate. I also believe that If students are unable to drop out, they will be forced to graduate from high school. When they graduate, they are more likely to go to college. When people go to college, they usually end up getting satisfying paying jobs. When people get jobs, their money adds to the tax collection. When the United States have more taxes, there will be more funding for schools, the United States will come out of debt quicker, poor families can get more government assistance, and more benefits.
From the the article the new law of decreasing the dropout rate could help some students to be successful in their future and some students might try to find their way around the law. I might agree with the article on the subject that this law would help bring the student to college because the law will force the students complete high school and have a better chance of getting into a college they would like.I could offer nothing else since the system seem to have the requirements for their students to try to become successful in their future.
i think this law is a great law because it would actually keep kids in school more and tests would improve so majority of the schools would get 10/10. jamal hailey 2b
Yes the new law would help. If all states followed the law for no child left behind there would be more graduates. More kids would complete high school then college, then make the future better. Over 11 years over a trillion dollars from them would be made to the U.S. I agree with the part with getting quality teachers being hired.
Tariq Abdullah -2A
President obama law about having students stay in school until their are 18 years old is very helpful for young people today because withhout an education, they can;t get a high-paying job. The disadvantage in this is that some student would probably think that they will be stuck in school by law and that would be the ignorant students that think they are trapped by the government. My opinion on this is that all student should stay in school until 18 year old anyway, period point blank.
M.Nicholson 3B
I dont think this law will effect the drop out rate at all. I believe if a student younger than 18 wants to drop out of school they will. But it is good that President Obama shows interest in his countries educational system.
Javaughn Bowden 1A
I don't think that a new law would effect the drop out rate because people do what they want to do. It's true that most of the drop outs are Black African Americans. That's a very sad case but it is true. Whites and Asians are on top of their game they take education and a life a much more serious than Blacks. I don't think there's nothing that can be done to increase the drop out rate because honestly people really don't care. It's really nice that the president cares for his people but the real problem is his people don't care for themselves.
Martese Davis
1A
1. Do you think a new law would help?
-I think a new law could provide some support to the problem but it wouldn't solve it. People are becoming more and more lazier with many ways to just slide by in high school. By thinking this way, they think dropping out isn't that big of a deal so a new law would help just a little bit.
2. What parts of the article make you agree or disagree?
- I agree with the 7 of 10 ninth graders today will get high school diplomas. It doesn't seem that much but when compared to a whole, its drastic. I agree that younger folk are becoming more unaware of what life will be like after high school also.
3.What other suggestions could you offer?
-I suggest parents take more of an active role in a child's life. When a child is losing focus in school, somebody is needed to smack them back into shape. If nobody does, they'll stay lost in class and lose interest in an education.
I believe the new law will help because it would motivate students to stay in school and get better grades. In the artice they said the nubers would rise to 7 out of 10 kids getting a diploma and I believe that would be a great thing to accomplish. I dont agree with it seeming like the kids are gonna be forced to stay in school but sometimes thats what it takes to get them somewhere in life. I think that making school more exctiting and a fun learning enviroment can help.
DeAndre' Davis 2A
In some cases a new law would help, but I am a little skeptical about this because even though they are trying to make a new law to take off 2 years before you dropout students will still just wait until they get 18 and never cross the stage for that important piece of paper. I think honestly they shouldn't implement a dropout age because either way you put it if people want to they will still not even show up... and if they do there will be no interest in what is going on. The only part on here I will agree on is the money area mostly because if students dont drop out it's more money NATIONALLY if you think about it, or maybe its just me because I love the meaning, word, and saying of money, having it is sooooo much better.
Yes I do believe a new law would help increase the rate of high school graduates and may decrease the rates of dropouts.besides kids still doing what they decide inspite of what people try to tell them,the law may still make a opportunity for that one student who trys to get back on the right track at the last minute.most of the drop outs are usually African Americans.
I agree with the 7 of 10 ninth graders today will get high school diplomas.that can drastically change nd rates of graduates by increasing.
i suggest that more parents do motivate their kids to go through with the many series of education in life. they should acknowledge the fact of their wrong doing but also encourage them to work harder and do better.
I think the law is helping us. They're which I i mean government wants to keep kids in school. This might sink into a kids head and make him think about being succesful in school and in ife.
I think the law would improve a lot of things and would be a very successful law. The law would enforce education a lot more than education is handled today.The outcomes of this law would bring more graduates and highly educated students. The age 16 to me personally is too young to be able to drop out of school or for anyone to have the right to put you at. But I strongly agree with the fact that the law would bring more graduates in this world. I would also suggest they think of mandatory programs for those younger children who seem to be on the wrong path in life with making the right decisions.Education is one of the most important of them all but most children fail to realize that today in society,because even though I have the brains to be more than what i am i didnt use them and when i look back i wish i did.
I really think the law will not change anything, I mean i still think therre are like 100 Friendly High students thats goin to drop out lol. The law really wont make a difference, if a student randomly stops commin to school what are the police goin to do ? Kick in the student door and take them to school by force ? I dont think so.
I think a new law should be made to keep students in school intil they turn 20. It may sound stupid but you will not make it in society with a high school diploma. Maybe they should drop all the test that students have to take so they can pass or graduate and just let the learn.
I think a new law would help to a certain extent. This way if a student doesn't understand somethingin his or her classes they would have to do thier best to figure it out versus giving up and dropping out. The part of the article that made me agree was when they gave the statistics on the drop out rate.
Do you think a new law would help?
Yes, the new law would at least allow children to get a high school degree. They can at least have a high school education when applying to a job.
What parts of the article make you agree or disagree?
I disagree about the fact it would cost more money to force children to graduate. If they do in fact graduate and/or get jobs and learn how to function in society, their tax dollars and wealth will flow back to the schools and the government.
What other suggestions could you offer?
There shouldn't only be laws, but also a supporting culture. Adults should promote and encourage high school graduation. Many kids believe they can live without the degree which causes some of the dropouts.
Extra Article: http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full_story/17397840/article-School-dropout-rate-encouraging--but-more-work-to-be-done?instance=popular, http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/02/calls_to_raise_high_school_dro.html
I don't think they should change the drop out age. We already owe allot of cash to other countries. How much money will they have to use to pay extra teachers cause if no one drops out classes will be to large and will need to separate. New class needs a teacher and teacher needs money.
I think the law would help. Depending on the person and how much effort and time they put into schoolwork. If the age is raised , the high school dropout rate will decrease . However , pg county will have a very high percentage of dropouts just for the simple fact of disinterest.
Dyamond Nelson
2b
I do think a new law would help. I disagree that it will cost alot of money, but whatever we have to do to stop getting kids to drop out of school, then we need to do that. I agree when the article said lower how many kids are in one class, have individualized help if they children need it. I suggest that we try to find another way to help without using as much money, but if we cant them keep the same plan.
Aneya Dixon 3B
Yes, i do think that a new law would help increase the amount of high school graduates in some ways because maybe some kids need more time than others and will take advantage of the opportunity but for other they may not care about getting a diploma and look at the law as nothing special. I Would disagree where it states that many Americans would believe this can't be done because of expenses, i think if this was an important law to majority then this law would be enforced regardless of the price. I Suggest that parents also encourage there children because just because there is a new law doesn't mean children are going to pay it any attention.
-Kristen Young
(1B)
I do think That This Law Will Help,, i also agree that "High school completion is, of course, the most significant requirement for entering college. While our economic competitors are rapidly increasing graduation rates at both levels, we continue to fall behind. Educated workers are the basis of economic growth — they are especially critical as sources of innovation and productivity given the pace and nature of technological progress. I believe if we can do better it will better the economy.
I do think a new law would help the number of dropouts decrease because your parents would get punish if you don't go to school so they wouldn't have a choice but to force you .The part that makes me disagree with this statement it would cost more money to force children to graduate. That's not even accurate , because education is free , but if your talking about summer school than yes
Domonique Moore
2a
From the the article 'the new law of decreasing the dropout rate' could help some students to be successful in their future. i think this because if you complete high school you might actually consider going to college,considering you did all those yrs of school . i disagree when it said that it cant be done because of expenses,because i believe if people really wanted this law,it will be enforced regardless of any price, and overall this will help the new generation of America & it will help more & more be successful.
Airy Tilghman 1B
extra article >http://articles.cnn.com/2009-05-05/us/dropout.rate.study_1_dropouts-enrollment-graduations?_s=PM:US
Tangier May 3B
I believe that it is fully up to the student to choose what they wanna do with their education. There shouldn't be any type of law. its kinda pointless. By making a new law that makes kids and teachers have to adapt to something new that they wouldn't like.
Yes because it would keep more kids in school.The part I agree with is the part that it will help increase a drop out rate. That you just wont be able to go drop out at all, in order to receive a diploma you have to attend all 4 years.
Maya Robinson
4/A
I Think a new law would not help.The reason why is because students these days are becoming less attached to school now that even if they made a new law it still would not help so no a new law would not help.And beside majoirty of the drop out is african american.I agree with the 7 of 10 ninth graders will get the a high school diploma because there active and ready.My suggestions i could offer is that if the people who want to drop out of school drop out then let it be its their life they want to live.Let the people stay in school and get an education so yeah.Ebo Otuya-2B
So It Really Dose not Matter If They In force This Law Because Kids Can Not Follow This Law Even Though Going To School Is A Really Big Prt Of Succeeding In Life And Continue On To Collage .But On The Other Hand It Will Probably Keep More Population Of Kids In School
No i dont think a new law will help kids graduate because kids will still drop out. the parts if the article that make me disagree is the part were they are talking about only 7 of 10 ninth graders today will get high school diplomas.other suggestions i could offer is that students how are doing bad in classes take night school or go to summer school or take a class after school so they can graduate on time. Deaunte Watson 4A
I believe that a new age law would help improve the people graduating in high school because this gives many teenagers to think about what they want to do in their life and if they really want to succeed in life.I agree that they should change the age to when they get into college not at 18 maybe at around 20.
Terrell Proctor
2A
No i do not think that a new law would help because that would make people procrastinate more, and there would be a ton of adults in school. I disagree because students still won't care if they break laws cause its cool. i would offer to let kids drop out of high school when ever they want because they deserve their freedom to.
this law wont change anything because if a student feels that they cant finish high school then they will drop out with no question what the law should do is help the people who do drop out be able to get in job co or offer help to those people and work with them to get their GED but i feel this law will do nothing
KEVIN HOLSTON 2B
The law is stupid. If (I) as a student wanted to drop out then I would want to drop out no matter if Im 18 or 13. Making the student stay is only making the PGPCS grades look worse. The student(s) that wan't to drop out would just fail there work,test etc...So why not let them leave and do whatever they wan't to do?
I do think that making a law that says children can not graduate until they are 18 is a good idea. If they children are forced to stay in school them the drop out rate will decrease dramatically. But if the students do not want to be there they will show that they don't want to be there. It will show in there class work, home work and test grades. But overall I think that the law is a good idea.
I think the suggestion to change the drop out age will not help because it might discourage some lazy people from attending school. There should be a law that will decrease the number of drop outs, however. Education has no price, but a new law woud give some students something to think about. Mandatory night school, or summer school. regardless of the expenses, night school or summerschool should give students a reason to do better. Suggestiosns would be that they make a law forcing students to take summer/night school in iorder to graduate.
Daniel Munibez 2A
I Think That The New Law Will Help For Some Students. But For Others That Just Dont Like School Will Just Stop Comming To School,Which Will Then Get Parents In Trouble. Or The Students Will Just Stop Doing The Work And Their Grades Will Decrease Drasticallyy Then It Will Make The Schhol Look Bad. So I Think The Law Has Negative And Positive Affects
I honestly do not agree with any part of this proposal. This law is not needed and i'm sick of free rides. This nation is getting dumber and dumber because parents, and apparently even Congress wants to baby and cripple this country's youth. No Child Left Behind Was bad enough, if kids are idiotic and don't complete the necessities then why give them an even THIRD chance at graduating. This law is bogus and Obama, like Mitt Romney will do anything to get in office.
I somewhat agree with this proposal. I agree that making it so a child must be 18 to dropout will decrease the dropout rate. At the same time you cannot expect this to fix everything. this law still wouldnt ensure that the students become productive citizens. I think that is the problem with the country today. Everyone wants a "quick fix" instead of a full effect solution.
marques malone 4a
This law wont help anyone that doesnt want help. If a student wants to stay in highschool & be sucessful he has the choice to stay there while he can, therefore there is no need for this waiste of money. Their going to make poeple who graduated and stayed in school pay for thoes drop outs on the run down. Its not fair and we shouldn't have to. Students are make their choice now, while their in highschool. I know its a good thing for the country to have this law but its more taxes and the U.s can't afford to barrow more money on top of what we all ready owe. Thoes who want to be drop outs will be no matter what a law forgives them for .
I believe that this law would help a lot of people go far in life, but the thing is kids should have a right to what they want to do and what they do not want to do. making this sort of law doesn't allow a person to have the chose of what they want to do with there life. a part i agree with in this artical was "If we could reduce the current number of dropouts by just half, we would yield almost 700,000 new graduates a year, and it would more than pay for itself. Studies show that the typical high school graduate will obtain higher employment and earnings — an astonishing 50 percent to 100 percent increase in lifetime income — and will be less likely to draw on public money for health care and welfare and less likely to be involved in the criminal justice system. Further, because of the increased income, the typical graduate will contribute more in tax revenues over his lifetime than if he’d dropped out." this is very much true its just not everybody is going to agree with this and and not everybody wants to go through high school. The government should not control our lives we should.
^jade Ellis
3B
I believe that this law could help many people but at the same time the students have to want to attend school. Creating this law could be difficult because of the number of kids who do bad in school and dropout. Being though that "ONLY 21 states require students to attend high school until they graduate or turn 18" is a little unfair because some kids might need the extra time so this law could be helpful and increase the rate of students staying in school. The cost of creating this law will be expensive but very helpful, "increased education does, indeed, improve skill levels and help individuals to lead healthier and more productive lives"
-Jada Young 2B
I think the law would help high school drop-outs so it would increase the number of people being in school and help them to have a better career. I agree about the part when they said there would be 80 percent of white and Asian students graduate from high school, compared with only 55 percent of blacks and Hispanics.
with that said, I feel like there's nothing more to say.
1. Do you think a new law would help?
-I believe a new law would help the problem but it wouldn't really solve it. People are becoming more and more lazier with many ways to just slide by in high school. By thinking this way, they think dropping out isn't that big of a deal so a new law would help just a little bit.
2. What parts of the article make you agree or disagree?
- I do agree with the 7 of 10 ninth graders today will get high school diplomas. It doesn't seem that much but when compared to a whole, its drastic. I agree that younger folk are becoming more unaware of what life will be like after high school also.
3.What other suggestions could you offer?
-I think if parents take more of an active role in a child's life, when their child is losing focus in school, somebody is needed to smack them back into shape. If nobody does, they'll stay lost in class and lose interest in an education.
i personally think that making this law can help and not help. i say that because if somebody want to drop out but is forced to stay, its going to make them show out and act any kind of way because they dont want to do the work and dont want to be there. that can lower the school's overall test scores. it can be good because there would be more successful high school graduates than there are now.
ChynaM 3B
I believe that this law is truly for the best. Children today have very lax laws and many privileges. At the end of the day, all we have is education. Some appreciate it more than others. However, being required to stay in school longer will not only broaden they're education, but give them more time to decide what they would like to do in life. It may also make people more eligible for jobs.
RACHAEL EDWARDS
1B
I suggest that there should be a precise age limit (I.e. 17,9 months). That way children have a better understanding and technically they will be able to drop out before 18 if desired.
RACHAEL EDWARDS
1B
yes, i do think a new law would help with an decrease in high school dropouts.the parts of the article that made agree with it was when they made the comparison of the percentages with whites, asians, blacks and hispanics.Other suggestions would be better programs, help with counseling if problems at home, and more encouragement.
No, I don't think this law will help only because of stubbornness. If a child doesn't want to attend school and is forced to anyway, I can guarantee that the student will either flunk out or be extremely insubordinate. I suggest they offer counseling with students who are thinking about dropping out.
Ron Phillips 3B..... I think if they make a law about kids that drop out of school, changing the age range would be good cause at the age 16. Not having to go to school anymore is not a good thing and you can still be lead by the wrong crowd and not have your own mind set. So I think they should make kids go to school into they are 18 and if they don't it should be something done bout it.
i think that it really doesn't matter if they change the drop out age because when you drop out you just stop going to school. every kid has a different reason for dropping some just get tiered of school find it hard or for some other reason.
*^Paula Ramos 4-A^*
Post a Comment