What do you think? Should he be punished? Did he have a right to leave? What would you do???
58 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I think that he shouldn't be punished because he tried saving as many as he could and he already is suffering because he knows he left people there. If it was me in his case I would've done the same I wouldve tried saving as many people as I could but also saved myself.
In my opinion I don't think the captain should be punished. He did what he could and saved as many lives as he could prosper. Him alone couldn't save as many lives as their were on that ship. I'm sure he's hurt of the many lives that were lost that day. Karisa Johnson 4A
I do think the captain should be arrested because for one if he was paying more attention he could have probably prevented this incident but then again he did try to save lives so he should be punished but he shouldn't get anything crucial such as life
I think the captin should get punished because he should have been paying attention to the direction where he was suppose to go the situation wouldnt have happened if he was going the right way. The captin on the other hand did save some people that he could so i dont think he should get life in prison just do a short amount of time.If i was in his situation i would get people of the boat and stayed on until i didnt see anyone on it.
I dont think he should be punished beacause he did all he can to save others and it wasnt like the sinking of the boat was intentionally.He knew he had to save hiself but he tried to save other people and children.In that case I would have done the same thing,but some of the blame does fall on him for the sinking of the boat because it was his.
I Don't Think The Captain Should Be Punished And I Don't Think He Was Trying To Crash And Kill People On The Ship he Is a Captain His Job Is To Sail The Ship That'S What He Did And He Did The First Thing That Came To His Head When It Crashed He Jumped I Guess Like A lot Of Other People Most Likely Did So.
I think that The captin Should Have Done What He Was Supposed To Do Rather Than Say Oh I did not See A Rock In The Radar But He Knows In His Mind The Shore Was A Coupple Of Feet Away But Not Caring he Killed Lots Of People And They Still Havent Found All Of THe Victims So Therefore He Should Get THe Death Penaltiy Or Worse Its His Fault....
I think he shouldnt have lied and said he slipped into a lifeboat because that just made things worst, and also he could have at least sounded the alarm to let the passengers know that the ship was sinking before he abanded it. He wasnt wrong for leaving the ship because his life was in danger. If I was in his place I would have left as well but not before notifying my crew and passengers.
i thek this is harsh .i think that he should be punished because why would he leave like i would help alot of people first and then leave. i mean it was his own choice to leave like he didnt know he was going to get arrested. i would have saved as much people as i could or maybe risk my life for the people i saved. CLARISSA HERNANDEZ 4A
I think he is being punished too harshly. Because basically he is being arrested for being a coward. Last time i checked that is not a crime. However i do understand where all the anger towards him is coming from. He should have stayed on the boat to help the passengers. Taking on that job as captain he took a responsibility for his passengers. He shouldn't have ran away. But he also shouldn't have to rot in prison.
I dont think he should be punished everyone can't be a hero. A sinking ship can be a very scares thing to witness. I think it should be the captin job to help as many people as he can at the time, while other people on the ship should also help each other. I dont think they should exspect him to help every perosn off the boat, or exspect him to be the last one off. It is very liking for alot of people to live after a ship has sunck aways.
I do not think that the captian should be punished. Yes he did leave the ship even though he wasn't supose to, but that was out of fear. Everyone makes mistake and he is paying for his right now. Being arrested for leaving the ship should not be pnished for leaving out of fear.
In Think That He Should Be Punished Because He Was responsiable For Whoever On The Boat He Signed Up For This Job, And He Should Have thought About The BAd things That MAY Happen On A BOAT. No HE did not have a right to leave them, even though he was trying to save hiself he should had some common curtesy(Misspelled) for other people. I Would Have try to save everybody else and if i would had Died i Would had died A LEADER , HERO, And Died With DIGINITY Cause i tired my best . :)
Yes, i do think he should be punished. he didn't have a right to leave without helping anybody, he was responsible for everyone that was on the boat. i would have helped people before i got off. If that mean going down with the boat, then i would have been going down. but at least i know i helped someone
Yes I do think he should have been punished because if your the captain of a sinking ship you are always supposed to go down with the ship.On the count of him being responsibly of everyone on the boat.If I was the captain of that boat I would've helped the women and children get off first.I am happy that there was one guy that helped at least some people get off but I feel sorry for the families that loss their family members. KAYLA MITCHAM 3B
Yes I do think the captain should be punished because the rules are that the captain must go down with the ship.No he didnt have the right to leave he should of just waited until all the people were off the ship first then he should of got off,plus he already new this was going to happen because he was given warning signs.What would i do, i probly would of did the same thing.
I think that was terrible what he did especially because he was the Captain of the ship. The Captain of the ship is the person that is responsible for his customers and staff on the ship. That was so irresponsible of him. Of course he should be punished, there's no question or answer about that that's obvious. No he didn't have the right to leave because on a boat you have so many lives in your hands and your suppose to be the head man of the entire ship. The last person that he shouldn't have worried about first is himself, when there was so many other people on his ship. As the captain I would have made sure that everyone was off the boat before I got off and if I die than so what That's what I committed to when I took the oath or at least expect it since I took responsibility for the job. I would arrest him and charge him to because that was so many people's life that was just lost and taken away. I feel like people like that are just messed up in this world.
Yes I do believe he should be punished because he did not abide by the rules and leave the ship last. No he didnt have the right to leave because the passengers go first and he ignored warning signals. I would have felt really bad about the passengers.
No he should not be punished because he did what he could. He saved as many as he could. I believe he is already being punished with the guilt of those peoples lives on his hand. But thats just what i think
I would have done the same thing because I would want to love even if it was my ship I don't have to die with it. He shouldn't be punished for trying to save yourself thats backwards. The authority take everything the wrong way now. Michael West 4A
I don't think the captain should be punished for his actions. The situation he was in would trigger a fight or flight response in any normal human and it just so happens that he chose flight rather than fight. I would understand punishment if staying behind to help passengers was a requirement he learned in training but (as far as I know) it wasn't.
If it is a law that the captain of the ship is not allowed to leave the ship in times of disaster and that he must help everyone out of the ship, then he violated the law. He must be punished. Do I think the law is far? No, I do not think the law is far. He should not be obligated to die in a sunken ship. Some people may have refused to jump out of the ship. He should not have to risk his life to save someone else's that might be trapped. He did have the right to leave. If it were me, I would definitely leave the ship. I am not going to die!
1. I think that a ship's captain should have the responsibility for every man, woman, and child that enters that ship. So if a ship were to have a sudden disaster, it's the captain's responsibility to make sure that those people leave the ship totally safe and sound. This is what I think on the matter.
I think that since the captain was the reason for the ship sinking, he should have stayed with it and made sure that all the people that he put in danger were okay. I think he should be punished because he neglected all warning signs and then left all of his passengers to their doom. He had the right to leave because it wasn't required for him to stay on the ship but it's still apathetic for him to leave. I know most people would say that they would stay on the ship because it's the right thing to do, but I feel as if I would flee the scene too if I were the captain.
I think that the captain should have stayed on the ship at least to help get everyone to safety. The captain should take responsibility of his action that put the lives of the passengers on the ship. Also he should have had left the ship on its natural course if he had did that that would have never happened.
I thought this was sad cause a lot of people lost there life and there are some still missing.I don't think he should be punish,Cause he cant save everyone but he could have tried.The captain should not be responsible for other people life Once they are on The boat there is a short tutorial on if the boat sink what should you do if each person would have followed those instructions that could have made it out alive and safely.No, he didnt have a right to leave but thats what other passengers what have done if they could get to safety.I would have tried my hardest to help and get some people back to safety. Danielle May 1A
I know what the captain did was not the right thing to do however, I probably would have did the same thing . One person can't save everybody . The appropriate consequence is that he is arrested. Dyamond Nelson 2b
i feel like the captain was wrong for leaving the ship. he was in charge on the ship so he's in charge of everybody's life that's on his ship. yes, he tried but he shouldve tried harder. but you cant be mad for wanting to save himself as well he have a life to. its good to look out for other people but its good to look out for yourself as well. if he do time, it don't need to do much because he did try. Chyna M 3B
No because he did try to save some people lives, honostly he wouldnt be able to save everyone and he does have a life to. But he still is responsible for them weatehr he save them or not
I'm kind of in between about the situation because yes it's his ship and he should have stayed behind but nobody can really be mad at him for that because you have to think about well what if you were in his shoes, some people are heroic and others not so much. I don't think he should be arrested because no captain has to risk his life to save others, me personally I proably would stay and help because I couldn't live with the guilt.
I Think He Should Be Punished But Not As Suvier As People Think Because EveryBody Pointing Fingers At Him For What He Is Not Super Man He Is Only 1 Man He Can't Save EveryBody On That Big Ship. But On The Other Hand It Was His Responsibility So I Would Arrest Him For Some Months.
no he shouldn't be punished , but i will admit when i first heard this i was thinking the same thing " the captain suppose go down with his ship , isn't he ? " but all i heard was that he left as the ship was sinking , i didn't think he saved anyone , if that was the case then maybe he should be punished . but even if he didn't save any lifes , he has a life and possibly a family hisself . so he probably was worried about his own being . but i don't think that he should be punished for worrinying about himself , and at least he tried to save some people , even if he did " slip and fall in a life boat "
I feel he should be punished but not to harsh because he should have stayed long enough to save as many people as possible but instead he so called slipped and fell in a life boat and tried to flee the scene OF HIS PROBLEM. He has to live with the feeling of all those lost lives because he decided to run away to save his own life instead of the other lives that were lost because of HIM. I feel as though he had a right to leave but at the same time he shouldnt have, me personally I would have stayed long enough to save as many people as possible then I would have left after it was all said and done I tried as hard as possible unlike him.
i think he shouldn't be punished because what he did was not wrong. he got scared at the last moment and didn't know what to do so he fled from the ship.yes he had the right to leave the ship there is no law saying you can't leave from a sinking ship so there for he was right. if i was him i would try to save as many people as i could and i would then leave the ship. Deaunte Watson 4A
I think it was very unreasonable for them to punish the captain. He had simply done what anyone would have done at that given situation which was act on his fight or flight impulse. Not everyone would be as heroistic as the captain from Titanic and this is a very modern world. With this given why should he risk if peopl;e feel he should. The every man for himself quote may fit the situation but its not like he didnt care. If it was me, then i surely would have left and said "see ya'" to everyone. Its not my duty to make sure people know how to survive. I would help some on the way but my safety would be my number one priority. I don't want to end up like the people from Titanic.
In my opinion I am not sure if enough information about the captains actions were gathered.But i think he should have tried to save more people being a captain and all. You are supposed to be the leader and try to protect your passengers. Despite this i can understand his fear but his excuse does not match actions, which brings suspicion.
The fact that he said "he tripped and fell into a lifeboat" he deserves to be arrested. This is a selfish act and beings though he is the captain he is in charged to protect the boat and the passengers. The captain has the responsibility of both the safe navigation and to firstly save lives if the worst happens. If I was the captain I my first thought would be to protect the people because more then likely it would have been kids on the ship.
I really dont think the captain is the only person to blame, I think the person that was in the birds nest should be the one that everybody is pointing fingers at because he is the one that supposed to lookout for whatever is happening and report it to the pilot
Yes I do know that the captain of that cruise ship was arrested and that's what he deserves.I believe that its only right if the captain of that cruise ship was arrested.Many innocent lives were taken away because of his negligence,and by fleeing the scene the way he did was NOT the right thing to do.If it were me I would have stayed on the ship and warned everyone and helped them get to shore.
I do not think the captain should be punished for his actions. You cannot force heroism on anyone. If he did stay back to help thats great if he didnt so be it. He has a family to go back to as well. People only seem to see one side of the equation. Many of the people who said he should have helped wouldnt have helped anyway. However, i do think it was unfortunate that the event happened because lives were lost. But at the same time if the captain stayed to help and ended up dying people would be calling him stupid.
I think that he shoud not be punished unless it is a rule or law saying he has to leave last and save everyone. I think alot of people would have done the same thing he did. If there were other people there to help women and kids then he didnt really have to stay anyway.
To be honest, I think Capt. Schettino did what he had to do: I think it was the right choice that he left, and to be honest, I would've done the same if I were in said situation. The situation was so that the ship had began to sink and he just panicked in the heat of the moment. Apparently, there's some unspoken code of captain behavior and chivalry that either he didn't know about or he just had to go against based on his morality, and you can't blame the guy for leaving, really. It seems quite immoral to impose heroism upon someone; to expect a regular guy with a sailor suit on (and maybe other credentials, I'm not completely sure) to save a humongous ship with around 4,200 people is absolutely asinine. In an interview with ocean-liner historian Jon Maxtone-Graham, he states that "Schettino should have stayed and helped save passengers by leading the evacuation, maintaining discipline, and, if necessary, climbing through mangled, flooded corridors and cabins himself to rescue anyone trapped below. He will likely go to prison before he ever goes to sea again." To me, it sounds like something straight out of a movie, and it also sounds like Mr. Maxtone-Graham got a little biased with emotion.
He should go unpunished because he really didn't have a choice: it was either his life or stranger lives. Now, most heroes might choose the strangers, but again, it's just not feasible to impose heroism upon a regular guy.
From the article,the captain of the ship made have feared of dying, but he had to make sure that his passengers were safe before leaving the ship. The captain shouldn't be punished by being put in jail but have the guy not be apart of cruise ships. He does have the right to leave his ship but he should have stayed on the ship to protect the lives of the people. I would try to secure the safety of the lives of the people off the ship while on the ship.
I Do Think That The Captain Should Of Stayed On The Ship Because Once All Of The Passengers Are On The Ship And It Takes Off,All Of Their Safety Is In The Captains Hands. It Is His Responsibility To Get Them To Their Destination Safely No Matter What The Circumstances Are. So I Think That He Should Be Arrested Because He Failed To Do His Job And That Left Alot Of People Dead And Missing From Their Families.
I don't think the captain of the ship should be punished but I do believe that he should have taken responsibility for crashing the shiP. I think he should have at least remained near the ship to help out the citizens that were trapped in the boat get back to shore. Even though he did not do these things I don't think that it's a punuishable Offence
I think that he shouldn,t have been arrested. Even though it was his fault. But the thing is I don't think that cruisebships have sonar. So how could he have known that the reef was there. So this should be a wake up call for ship desginers. They may want to consider putting sonar on ships so that way this won't happen again.
No i dont think he should be punsihed. The reason why i state this because he didnt want to die he probably made an announcement that the ship was gonig to sink and people prolly didn,t listen.So he did have the right to leave. If it was me i would leave to because its my life even though theres lives at stake i come first because i still have a long journey ahead of me so i woudlve left.Ebo Otuya2b
I think that he shouldn't be punished because he did everything possible to help save people on the boat. If it was me I would've did the same thing because I feel nobody should die but I have the right to survive as well. Diamond Murphy 1A
I think he should be punished for abandoning the ship and also the passengers. I believe that if he would have stayed the 11 people wouldn’t be dead and the other 21 people might not be missing. I don’t think it was his fault to what had happened with the ship, because this kind of thing happens all of the time. Honestly I would have stayed and helped the passengers and mostly children that were stuck on the boat because they haven’t really experienced life yet, and I have.
I don't see the problem with this. The captain shouldn't have to die because everyone else did. I I was captain I'd do te exact same thing. Times aren't how they used to be and this is a pure example . Christian johnson
I believe that as a captain he should've stayed and guided his passengers to safety. This incident was an error on his part and he should've stayed to help evacuate passengers to make up for his mistakes instead of fleeing the scene and disregarding the lives of the people onboard.
I think that he shouldn't have been arrested. Even though it was his fault. But the thing is I don't think that cruiseships have sonar. So how could he have known that the reef was there. So this should be a wake up call for ship desginers. They may want to consider putting sonar on ships so that way this won't happen again.
I have been pondering on this story ever since I heard about it. I definitely that the captain of that cruise liner was in the wrong. Being a captain of a ship is a risk and a huge responsibility. The captain takes an oath to never leave the ship's boundaries during trouble. If the ship is in danger, you are supposed to wait until all passengers aboard are safely removed from the boat then you make your exit. If there is no hope of escaping for your passengers and yourself, you have to go down with the ship. By defying his oath, he should be punished with time in prison and should be stripped of his credentials as a captain. On a personal note, if I was a captain and were in that situation, I would have to recall my oath I took, and follow through on my word.
I think that the capain jus tried to save himself. Yes I believe he should be punished because he's the captain and the ship and passenger's are his responsiblity, so he should've made sure they were safe. No he didnt have a right to leave because thats his job and as a captain you have to make sure your passengers are safe at all times. I would of tried to get as many of the passengers as I can to the life boats.
I think the captain lied about the "tripping" part. The captain should be punished accordingly because the captain should've been onne of the last people to leave, making sure the passengers were out safely. it is not necessary for the captain to go down with the ship but to make sure his passengers are out in time. Jail would be a good pnishment, and the fact that he's going to live with guilt his whole life adds on.
I don't think the captain should be punished. He shouldn't have to die if the ship sinks. He doesn't "HAVE TO" help people either. His job is to command the ship's crew, not die for random people! Think about this... If you were the captain would you stay with the ship and die?!
58 comments:
I think that he shouldn't be punished because he tried saving as many as he could and he already is suffering because he knows he left people there. If it was me in his case I would've done the same I wouldve tried saving as many people as I could but also saved myself.
Katherine Ventura
2a
In my opinion I don't think the captain should be punished. He did what he could and saved as many lives as he could prosper. Him alone couldn't save as many lives as their were on that ship. I'm sure he's hurt of the many lives that were lost that day.
Karisa Johnson 4A
Domonique Moore 2
I do think the captain should be arrested because for one if he was paying more attention he could have probably prevented this incident but then again he did try to save lives so he should be punished but he shouldn't get anything crucial such as life
I think the captin should get punished because he should have been paying attention to the direction where he was suppose to go the situation wouldnt have happened if he was going the right way. The captin on the other hand did save some people that he could so i dont think he should get life in prison just do a short amount of time.If i was in his situation i would get people of the boat and stayed on until i didnt see anyone on it.
Autumn Woods
1A
Elijah Powell
3B
I dont think he should be punished beacause he did all he can to save others and it wasnt like the sinking of the boat was intentionally.He knew he had to save hiself but he tried to save other people and children.In that case I would have done the same thing,but some of the blame does fall on him for the sinking of the boat because it was his.
I Don't Think The Captain Should Be Punished And I Don't Think He Was Trying To Crash And Kill People On The Ship he Is a Captain His Job Is To Sail The Ship That'S What He Did And He Did The First Thing That Came To His Head When It Crashed He Jumped I Guess Like A lot Of Other People Most Likely Did So.
Lyric Freeman 2:A.
Above.
I think that The captin Should Have Done What He Was Supposed To Do Rather Than Say Oh I did not See A Rock In The Radar But He Knows In His Mind The Shore Was A Coupple Of Feet Away But Not Caring he Killed Lots Of People And They Still Havent Found All Of THe Victims So Therefore He Should Get THe Death Penaltiy Or Worse Its His Fault....
Anthony Davis 2b
I think he shouldnt have lied and said he slipped into a lifeboat because that just made things worst, and also he could have at least sounded the alarm to let the passengers know that the ship was sinking before he abanded it. He wasnt wrong for leaving the ship because his life was in danger. If I was in his place I would have left as well but not before notifying my crew and passengers.
Andre Lowery
4A
i thek this is harsh .i think that he should be punished because why would he leave like i would help alot of people first and then leave. i mean it was his own choice to leave like he didnt know he was going to get arrested. i would have saved as much people as i could or maybe risk my life for the people i saved.
CLARISSA HERNANDEZ 4A
I think he is being punished too harshly. Because basically he is being arrested for being a coward. Last time i checked that is not a crime. However i do understand where all the anger towards him is coming from. He should have stayed on the boat to help the passengers. Taking on that job as captain he took a responsibility for his passengers. He shouldn't have ran away. But he also shouldn't have to rot in prison.
I dont think he should be punished everyone can't be a hero. A sinking ship can be a very scares thing to witness. I think it should be the captin job to help as many people as he can at the time, while other people on the ship should also help each other. I dont think they should exspect him to help every perosn off the boat, or exspect him to be the last one off. It is very liking for alot of people to live after a ship has sunck aways.
I do not think that the captian should be punished. Yes he did leave the ship even though he wasn't supose to, but that was out of fear. Everyone makes mistake and he is paying for his right now. Being arrested for leaving the ship should not be pnished for leaving out of fear.
Shannon Weaver
Tanisha Brice
4A
In Think That He Should Be Punished Because He Was responsiable For Whoever On The Boat He Signed Up For This Job, And He Should Have thought About The BAd things That MAY Happen On A BOAT. No HE did not have a right to leave them, even though he was trying to save hiself he should had some common curtesy(Misspelled) for other people. I Would Have try to save everybody else and if i would had Died i Would had died A LEADER , HERO, And Died With DIGINITY Cause i tired my best . :)
Yes, i do think he should be punished. he didn't have a right to leave without helping anybody, he was responsible for everyone that was on the boat. i would have helped people before i got off. If that mean going down with the boat, then i would have been going down. but at least i know i helped someone
aneya dixon 3b
Yes I do think he should have been punished because if your the captain of a sinking ship you are always supposed to go down with the ship.On the count of him being responsibly of everyone on the boat.If I was the captain of that boat I would've helped the women and children get off first.I am happy that there was one guy that helped at least some people get off but I feel sorry for the families that loss their family members.
KAYLA MITCHAM 3B
Yes I do think the captain should be punished because the rules are that the captain must go down with the ship.No he didnt have the right to leave he should of just waited until all the people were off the ship first then he should of got off,plus he already new this was going to happen because he was given warning signs.What would i do, i probly would of did the same thing.
Maya Robinson
4/A
I think that was terrible what he did especially because he was the Captain of the ship. The Captain of the ship is the person that is responsible for his customers and staff on the ship. That was so irresponsible of him. Of course he should be punished, there's no question or answer about that that's obvious. No he didn't have the right to leave because on a boat you have so many lives in your hands and your suppose to be the head man of the entire ship. The last person that he shouldn't have worried about first is himself, when there was so many other people on his ship. As the captain I would have made sure that everyone was off the boat before I got off and if I die than so what That's what I committed to when I took the oath or at least expect it since I took responsibility for the job. I would arrest him and charge him to because that was so many people's life that was just lost and taken away. I feel like people like that are just messed up in this world.
Yes I do believe he should be punished because he did not abide by the rules and leave the ship last. No he didnt have the right to leave because the passengers go first and he ignored warning signals. I would have felt really bad about the passengers.
No he should not be punished because he did what he could. He saved as many as he could. I believe he is already being punished with the guilt of those peoples lives on his hand. But thats just what i think
I would have done the same thing because I would want to love even if it was my ship I don't have to die with it. He shouldn't be punished for trying to save yourself thats backwards. The authority take everything the wrong way now. Michael West 4A
I don't think the captain should be punished for his actions. The situation he was in would trigger a fight or flight response in any normal human and it just so happens that he chose flight rather than fight. I would understand punishment if staying behind to help passengers was a requirement he learned in training but (as far as I know) it wasn't.
If it is a law that the captain of the ship is not allowed to leave the ship in times of disaster and that he must help everyone out of the ship, then he violated the law. He must be punished. Do I think the law is far? No, I do not think the law is far. He should not be obligated to die in a sunken ship. Some people may have refused to jump out of the ship. He should not have to risk his life to save someone else's that might be trapped. He did have the right to leave. If it were me, I would definitely leave the ship. I am not going to die!
1. I think that a ship's captain should have the responsibility for every man, woman, and child that enters that ship. So if a ship were to have a sudden disaster, it's the captain's responsibility to make sure that those people leave the ship totally safe and sound. This is what I think on the matter.
I think that since the captain was the reason for the ship sinking, he should have stayed with it and made sure that all the people that he put in danger were okay. I think he should be punished because he neglected all warning signs and then left all of his passengers to their doom. He had the right to leave because it wasn't required for him to stay on the ship but it's still apathetic for him to leave. I know most people would say that they would stay on the ship because it's the right thing to do, but I feel as if I would flee the scene too if I were the captain.
I think that the captain should have stayed on the ship at least to help get everyone to safety. The captain should take responsibility of his action that put the lives of the passengers on the ship. Also he should have had left the ship on its natural course if he had did that that would have never happened.
^*Paula Ramos 4-A*^
I thought this was sad cause a lot of people lost there life and there are some still missing.I don't think he should be punish,Cause he cant save everyone but he could have tried.The captain should not be responsible for other people life Once they are on The boat there is a short tutorial on if the boat sink what should you do if each person would have followed those instructions that could have made it out alive and safely.No, he didnt have a right to leave but thats what other passengers what have done if they could get to safety.I would have tried my hardest to help and get some people back to safety. Danielle May 1A
I know what the captain did was not the right thing to do however, I probably would have did the same thing . One person can't save everybody . The appropriate consequence is that he is
arrested.
Dyamond Nelson
2b
i feel like the captain was wrong for leaving the ship. he was in charge on the ship so he's in charge of everybody's life that's on his ship. yes, he tried but he shouldve tried harder. but you cant be mad for wanting to save himself as well he have a life to. its good to look out for other people but its good to look out for yourself as well. if he do time, it don't need to do much because he did try.
Chyna M 3B
No because he did try to save some people lives, honostly he wouldnt be able to save everyone and he does have a life to. But he still is responsible for them weatehr he save them or not
I'm kind of in between about the situation because yes it's his ship and he should have stayed behind but nobody can really be mad at him for that because you have to think about well what if you were in his shoes, some people are heroic and others not so much. I don't think he should be arrested because no captain has to risk his life to save others, me personally I proably would stay and help because I couldn't live with the guilt.
Deche Neal
I Think He Should Be Punished But Not As Suvier As People Think Because EveryBody Pointing Fingers At Him For What He Is Not Super Man He Is Only 1 Man He Can't Save EveryBody On That Big Ship. But On The Other Hand It Was His Responsibility So I Would Arrest Him For Some Months.
no he shouldn't be punished , but i will admit when i first heard this i was thinking the same thing " the captain suppose go down with his ship , isn't he ? " but all i heard was that he left as the ship was sinking , i didn't think he saved anyone , if that was the case then maybe he should be punished . but even if he didn't save any lifes , he has a life and possibly a family hisself . so he probably was worried about his own being . but i don't think that he should be punished for worrinying about himself , and at least he tried to save some people , even if he did " slip and fall in a life boat "
I feel he should be punished but not to harsh because he should have stayed long enough to save as many people as possible but instead he so called slipped and fell in a life boat and tried to flee the scene OF HIS PROBLEM. He has to live with the feeling of all those lost lives because he decided to run away to save his own life instead of the other lives that were lost because of HIM. I feel as though he had a right to leave but at the same time he shouldnt have, me personally I would have stayed long enough to save as many people as possible then I would have left after it was all said and done I tried as hard as possible unlike him.
i think he shouldn't be punished because what he did was not wrong. he got scared at the last moment and didn't know what to do so he fled from the ship.yes he had the right to leave the ship there is no law saying you can't leave from a sinking ship so there for he was right. if i was him i would try to save as many people as i could and i would then leave the ship. Deaunte Watson 4A
I think it was very unreasonable for them to punish the captain. He had simply done what anyone would have done at that given situation which was act on his fight or flight impulse. Not everyone would be as heroistic as the captain from Titanic and this is a very modern world. With this given why should he risk if peopl;e feel he should. The every man for himself quote may fit the situation but its not like he didnt care. If it was me, then i surely would have left and said "see ya'" to everyone. Its not my duty to make sure people know how to survive. I would help some on the way but my safety would be my number one priority. I don't want to end up like the people from Titanic.
In my opinion I am not sure if enough information about the captains actions were gathered.But i think he should have tried to save more people being a captain and all. You are supposed to be the leader and try to protect your passengers. Despite this i can understand his fear but his excuse does not match actions, which brings suspicion.
The fact that he said "he tripped and fell into a lifeboat" he deserves to be arrested. This is a selfish act and beings though he is the captain he is in charged to protect the boat and the passengers. The captain has the responsibility of both the safe navigation and to firstly save lives if the worst happens. If I was the captain I my first thought would be to protect the people because more then likely it would have been kids on the ship.
-Jada Young 2B
I really dont think the captain is the only person to blame, I think the person that was in the birds nest should be the one that everybody is pointing fingers at because he is the one that supposed to lookout for whatever is happening and report it to the pilot
Yes I do know that the captain of that cruise ship was arrested and that's what he deserves.I believe that its only right if the captain of that cruise ship was arrested.Many innocent lives were taken away because of his negligence,and by fleeing the scene the way he did was NOT the right thing to do.If it were me I would have stayed on the ship and warned everyone and helped them get to shore.
I do not think the captain should be punished for his actions. You cannot force heroism on anyone. If he did stay back to help thats great if he didnt so be it. He has a family to go back to as well. People only seem to see one side of the equation. Many of the people who said he should have helped wouldnt have helped anyway. However, i do think it was unfortunate that the event happened because lives were lost. But at the same time if the captain stayed to help and ended up dying people would be calling him stupid.
marques malone 4a
I think that he shoud not be punished unless it is a rule or law saying he has to leave last and save everyone. I think alot of people would have done the same thing he did. If there were other people there to help women and kids then he didnt really have to stay anyway.
briah clay 2b
To be honest, I think Capt. Schettino did what he had to do: I think it was the right choice that he left, and to be honest, I would've done the same if I were in said situation. The situation was so that the ship had began to sink and he just panicked in the heat of the moment. Apparently, there's some unspoken code of captain behavior and chivalry that either he didn't know about or he just had to go against based on his morality, and you can't blame the guy for leaving, really. It seems quite immoral to impose heroism upon someone; to expect a regular guy with a sailor suit on (and maybe other credentials, I'm not completely sure) to save a humongous ship with around 4,200 people is absolutely asinine. In an interview with ocean-liner historian Jon Maxtone-Graham, he states that "Schettino should have stayed and helped save passengers by leading the evacuation, maintaining discipline, and, if necessary, climbing through mangled, flooded corridors and cabins himself to rescue anyone trapped below. He will likely go to prison before he ever goes to sea again." To me, it sounds like something straight out of a movie, and it also sounds like Mr. Maxtone-Graham got a little biased with emotion.
He should go unpunished because he really didn't have a choice: it was either his life or stranger lives. Now, most heroes might choose the strangers, but again, it's just not feasible to impose heroism upon a regular guy.
From the article,the captain of the ship made have feared of dying, but he had to make sure that his passengers were safe before leaving the ship. The captain shouldn't be punished by being put in jail but have the guy not be apart of cruise ships. He does have the right to leave his ship but he should have stayed on the ship to protect the lives of the people. I would try to secure the safety of the lives of the people off the ship while on the ship.
I Do Think That The Captain Should Of Stayed On The Ship Because Once All Of The Passengers Are On The Ship And It Takes Off,All Of Their Safety Is In The Captains Hands. It Is His Responsibility To Get Them To Their Destination Safely No Matter What The Circumstances Are. So I Think That He Should Be Arrested Because He Failed To Do His Job And That Left Alot Of People Dead And Missing From Their Families.
I don't think the captain of the ship should be punished but I do believe that he should have taken responsibility for crashing the shiP. I think he should have at least remained near the ship to help out the citizens that were trapped in the boat get back to shore. Even though he did not do these things I don't think that it's a punuishable Offence
I think that he shouldn,t have been arrested. Even though it was his fault. But the thing is I don't think that cruisebships have sonar. So how could he have known that the reef was there. So this should be a wake up call for ship desginers. They may want to consider putting sonar on ships so that way this won't happen again.
No i dont think he should be punsihed. The reason why i state this because he didnt want to die he probably made an announcement that the ship was gonig to sink and people prolly didn,t listen.So he did have the right to leave. If it was me i would leave to because its my life even though theres lives at stake i come first because i still have a long journey ahead of me so i woudlve left.Ebo Otuya2b
I think that he shouldn't be punished because he did everything possible to help save people on the boat. If it was me I would've did the same thing because I feel nobody should die but I have the right to survive as well.
Diamond Murphy
1A
I think he should be punished for abandoning the ship and also the passengers. I believe that if he would have stayed the 11 people wouldn’t be dead and the other 21 people might not be missing. I don’t think it was his fault to what had happened with the ship, because this kind of thing happens all of the time. Honestly I would have stayed and helped the passengers and mostly children that were stuck on the boat because they haven’t really experienced life yet, and I have.
Acquila Robertson
Perod 3b
I don't see the problem with this. The captain shouldn't have to die because everyone else did. I I was captain I'd do te exact same thing. Times aren't how they used to be and this is a pure example . Christian johnson
I believe that as a captain he should've stayed and guided his passengers to safety. This incident was an error on his part and he should've stayed to help evacuate passengers to make up for his mistakes instead of fleeing the scene and disregarding the lives of the people onboard.
1A
I think that he shouldn't have been arrested. Even though it was his fault. But the thing is I don't think that cruiseships have sonar. So how could he have known that the reef was there. So this should be a wake up call for ship desginers. They may want to consider putting sonar on ships so that way this won't happen again.
Deyonna Butts Pd:3B
I have been pondering on this story ever since I heard about it. I definitely that the captain of that cruise liner was in the wrong. Being a captain of a ship is a risk and a huge responsibility. The captain takes an oath to never leave the ship's boundaries during trouble. If the ship is in danger, you are supposed to wait until all passengers aboard are safely removed from the boat then you make your exit. If there is no hope of escaping for your passengers and yourself, you have to go down with the ship. By defying his oath, he should be punished with time in prison and should be stripped of his credentials as a captain. On a personal note, if I was a captain and were in that situation, I would have to recall my oath I took, and follow through on my word.
I think that the capain jus tried to save himself. Yes I believe he should be punished because he's the captain and the ship and passenger's are his responsiblity, so he should've made sure they were safe. No he didnt have a right to leave because thats his job and as a captain you have to make sure your passengers are safe at all times. I would of tried to get as many of the passengers as I can to the life boats.
I think the captain lied about the "tripping" part. The captain should be punished accordingly because the captain should've been onne of the last people to leave, making sure the passengers were out safely. it is not necessary for the captain to go down with the ship but to make sure his passengers are out in time. Jail would be a good pnishment, and the fact that he's going to live with guilt his whole life adds on.
Daniel Munibez 2a
I don't think the captain should be punished. He shouldn't have to die if the ship sinks. He doesn't "HAVE TO" help people either. His job is to command the ship's crew, not die for random people! Think about this... If you were the captain would you stay with the ship and die?!
Post a Comment