Click Here to Read
Do you think this is the best way for the University of Maryland to save money? How do you think it will effect the enrollment of new students? Will this make you reconsider whether you want to go there or not? What about the students who are already there on scholarship for these activities??
29 comments:
i don't think its not right to cut varsity sports,because then nobody would want to come to university of Maryland most college students come to university is to get a sports degree or make to the NFL or NBA so no i don't think its not right at all. Jamal Hailey 2B
I disagree with the University of Maryland cutting varsity sports. That hurts people who play varsity sports, want to play, or those on athletic scholarships. It could discourage athletes from wanting to go there.
Jordan D.
1B
no this is not the best way to save money. new students are not going to enroll into the school if they can play the sport that they may have cut. yes because if i was not only going their for education but also sports and my sports is no longer their that school would not be one of my top picks. it is a not good but i would try to get into a new school were i would be able to do the sport that im good at.
william johnson 1a
I think it is a terrible idea to cut sports. Sports in college are a big interest for students attending. Sports are a great way to earn different scholarships and fulfill big accomplishments. By cutting sports may be a great way to save money but will have an effect on the population of students enrolling. Some people have a not only a talent but a dream of doing sports and feel this might be the only way to succeed.
Karisa Johnson 4A
I believe that this is a poor way to save money. THe University of Maryland is very strong in its athletics and I feel that it is unfair for the students who participate in the sports because they have earned their spots on those teams. The student athletes will had to make a decision to not play a sport, or transfer to another school. This decision is entirely unnecessary.
Justin Boone 1B
It might have not been the best way to save money, but we do not know their financial trouble in depth. It was probably the easiest decision to make. There was a positive and a negative that came from the experience. Even though eight sports were cut, all of the effected students were able to keep their scholarships.It is unfortunate for the students who were playing the sport because they loved it and not for the money. This will not make me consider whether I want to go there or not because one of their top sports are not going to be cut.
Kayla Jackson
3B
It might not have been the best way to save money, but we do not know their financial trouble in depth. It was probably the easiest decision to make. Besides, the athletic program was the program that was in debt. Other programs do not deserve to be punished. There was a positive and negative affect that came from this experience. Even though eight sports were cut, all of the effected sport players were able to keep their scholarships. It is unfortunate for the students who were playing these sports because they loved them and they were not in it for the money. This will not make me consider whether I want to go there or not because one of their top sports, which is basketball, is not going to be cut.
Yes this is a way to save monies that the school is spending. But i also think this will cut down enrollment because i just think Maryland university is a sports school a lot of people attend Maryland just so they can play a sport. All of Maryland's teams are well known. if a student is on scholarship for the specific sport the least Maryland can do is pay for them to go to another school. but all in all i do not think Maryland should get rid of the sports
Khadijah T 1B
i dont think they should cut varsity sports because if they do that then the football and basketball player wont have a chance to go pro and the school would loose their fans.
dervonte rountree 3b
I Dont think they should cut varsity sports. I say this because the athletes that play are not only playing for fun but, look forward to a career . If NBA or BFL teams know the college doesnt have varsity sports, they arent very likely to look for future members there.
Dyamond Nelson
2B
Ron Phillips 3B.....
I Dony Think they should cut varsity sports because some people only go to that school for sport and they school itself would lose alot of money and students/athletes would be upset because they got scholarships for sports and that was the only thing they can banks on.....
The best way would be to cut down on showers that the students take, and cut down on electricity. I think it would effect the students enrollment, to the ones that where interested in those sports. I think that this would not reconsider if I want to attend maryland or not. The students that have scholarship I think that Maryland should pay for there school fee or they should transfer to a different to school to play that sport.
Nace Denton-Hurst
4A
I think the cut of 8 varsity sports at Umd will affect the student population of the university. Alot of kids going to a college like Umd are probally going to be a student athlete. I think cutting down on those 8 sports will cut down population a bit but it may help the main athletics such as football and basketball by giving them more scholarship money to recruits. So the cutting of 8 varisty sports does not help the school but at the same time it is helping them.
David Barr
Paeriod 2a
The way a college saves money is by cutting back varsity sports?I think this idea is ridiculous.Seeing that most of The Terps population are student athletes that want to someday go pro.Also how is cutting back on varsity sports saving money?Because there are many sport fans that enjoy college sports more than professional sports.To conclude it would be dumb for them to cut off some sports because than nobody would want to go to this university.
Craig Williams 3B
I think its a bad thing to cut any sport team oyt of any school not just out of a university. It might help say money but can also lose students. What the sport teams can do are fund raisers car washes something in which they can earn some money for there teams. I don't know if anyone knows that some of the middle schools in PG don't have any soccer teams or any of the other sports due to the schools not getting enough money. I was upset when i found that out from one of my old soccer coaches from IJG.
*^ Paula Ramos 4-A ^*
Do you think this is the best way for the University of Maryland to save money?
No its not the best way to save money because fans want to see all Maryland sports and support them and without that they wont have money because the fans really are the ones that pay for the game and thigs.
How do you think it will effect the enrollment of new students?
It will effect the, because of the fact that they want to play sports and they wont play because its gone.
Will this make you reconsider whether you want to go there or not?
Yes it will make me reconsider because of the fact that if i want to play sports
What about the students who are already there on scholarship for these activities?
I feel bad for them because the sponsorship is gone
Im not exactly sure if it is the best way for UMD to save money i feel that their are a lot of other programs that dont mean as much to the school tradition that can be cut. I know that they will not recieve any students for the teams they cut.Yes because i want to go to a school where there is track and football, if the cut happens then they will only have football. I wouldnt transfer because they would still be paying for my education and the main goal of college is to recieve a degree. But students who have a passion for their sport will most likely transfer to continue their pursuit in their respective sports.
I don't think this is the best way for the University of Maryland to save money if anything these teams also brought in revenue to the school from spectators and fans. I believe the enrollment of new students will drastically decline. This will make me consider whether i want to go there or not because eventhough i'm not involved in the sports they cut out eventually they could make more decisions to cut out sports programs i'm interested in to "save money". I think this decision is very inconsiderate. I researched and found out the students who are already there on scholarships can stay at Maryland for free but why would they want to if they cant pursue their initial purpose for attending the school. In response i think many kids will transfer.
-Breanna Brown 1B
No, i think its ridiculous. By them doing think i very sure its going to effect in people wanting to enroll at maryland. If i wanted to go there and they had cut a sport that i like di would reconsider my thought of going there.I know the students that are going there on a scholarship on a sport that they cut is very mad and their probaly are even considering transfering because that what i would do.
I disagree with the decision that The University of Maryland have made. Cutting certain sports is not the best way to save money. Alot of students have probably ruled Maryland out not because they wanted to go to college and play one of the sports that Maryland has now cut. That causes them to lose money. The students that are already on those teams will probably end of leaving and it just isnt fair for them.
I do think that's a good way for the university to save money but that's not good for all the people that participate in those sports. I do feel bad that the people participating in those sports won't have the opportunity to keep playing what they love to do. It does make me think twice about going to the university of Maryland because, If they keep having budget cuts on recreational activities my favorite sport might be taken away. I do believe they need to figure out a way to fix there money problems so that they can bring those sports back.
-Cailyn Thomas
1B
I do think that's a good way for the university to save money but that's not good for all the people that participate in those sports. I do feel bad that the people participating in those sports won't have the opportunity to keep playing what they love to do. It does make me think twice about going to the university of Maryland because, If they keep having budget cuts on recreational activities my favorite sport might be taken away. I do believe they need to figure out a way to fix there money problems so that they can bring those sports back.
-Cailyn Thomas
1B
I don't think it's right to cut the sports from UM because that's what keeps the students entertained! Sports is most of the time why a student applies to a school. I don't think it's fair at all.
Deche' Neal
I don't think they should save money this way. They should start small, not just cut a lot of sports teams. They will affect the enrollment of new students because the school will not get students to stay because of the limited sports available. Yes this will make you consider going there due to limited opportunity. The students who have scholarships may not be able to continue enrolling.
Tariq-2A
I do not agree with The University Of Maryland. It is not fair to the students that play and have scholarships in these sports. I think there is something else they can cut back on. Electricity could be something they could cut back on. If you are not using it then cut it off. If new students want to enroll and they see that the sport they want to play is not on there, then they might pick another school.
Aneya Dixon 3B
I don't think the university should cut out the sports.Some of the students got scholarships for playing them sports. Maryland would probably lose students that want to enroll in their college.
Wow tough decision on this.Ok me as an academic and athletic student per say believe that it would save a tremendous amount of money. Sports alone in college do generate a great surplus of money and to expel several of the sports might be the best for the school. Yet also it might hurt the school. Maryland does have a great sports division and most of its students might be on a sports scholarship. They might get cut for the school's own financial deficit.
I dont think that is fair to cut 8 sports programs . The reason why is because some of our younger generrations could be really good at these sports and they might need one of those scholarships to get in a good college . If they cut the sports it could affect everyone who takes part in it and fans and mostly the players . Diangelo ross 4a
I believe that this is a poor way to save money. THe University of Maryland is very strong in its athletics and I feel that it is unfair for the students who participate in the sports because they have earned their spots on those teams. The student athletes will had to make a decision to not play a sport, or transfer to another school. This decision is entirely unnecessary.
Post a Comment