Check School Announcements at: http://friendlyhsdailyannouncements.blogspot.com/

Monday, December 5, 2011

Occupy D.C.

Check out what happened at the Occupy D.C. protest this weekend:

Click Here to Read Article

Were the police right to protect the safety of the public or where they infringing on the citizens' right to assemble? Do you feel like these protests are working? What type of attention are the Occupy movements attracting?


Extra Credit: if you go into D.C. and check out the protest. Take a picture of yourself with the Occupy D.C. going on in the background. Can be submitted any time before Winter Break.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

jibraun whitley 2A
i believe the police were right to protect the people and should not be in shame of the peoples eye. And i will try to get the pic. for extra credit.

Anonymous said...

Ayinde Michael 1A

This has nothing to do with protecting the people. The Occupy movement is a form of protest and from what I've seen (brutal arrests, unnecessary police violence.etc.)the authorities are overstepping their boundaries. The actions taken by the people are justified and the police are wrong to silence them.

Anonymous said...

I Think the police were right to protect the safety of the public. I feel like the protest aren't working , however they are making alot of people reconsider people allowing police to protect their safety.
-Dyamond Nelson 2b

Anonymous said...

I feel the police were correct. The protests started with good intentions, but lost sight of them when they were just taking up space, and letting the homeless live with them.

Jordan D.
1B

Anonymous said...

I think the police were doing the right thing to protecting the people. To me I dont think any protest work because all the government do is scare them away. They are attracting attention but sending a message as well to catch everyone's attention so they can recognize and support their issue.

Chyna M. 3B

Anonymous said...

Diamond Nicholas 2B
I think the police had the right to protect all those people. I actually think they are sending a good message to the gov. and i think they should pay attention to the people.

Anonymous said...

I Think The Police Were Right To Protect The Citizens Because That Is What They Are There For... To Protect Us. Sometimes These Protest Do Work And Sometimes It Doesn't Work! This Protest Looks Like It Didn't Cause That Much Attention Because This Is The Very First Time I Had Heard Of This!


KaylaFaulk:3B

Anonymous said...

Mary Grace Jose/1B

the policemen did have the right to kick out the protesters because even though they were harmless, it was the policemen's job to take away anyone who were in violation of park rules which includes "if the area was hard to move around" then that meant that they could actually take away the protesters. Some protests havent been really being taken into consideration because some may be for cliche issues that take no interest in the media. & that is why i believe that police officers had teh right to kick them out.

Mary Grace Jose/1B

Langston Parker said...

I don't like the police I read to many other articles and see to many other videos of the feds doing cruel things to the people.They have a since of power by tazing and beating people they pick out.They need to be beaten by occupy protesters.To obtain full freedom from the government and defeat evil it cant be done without violence

Dierra 1A said...

I think the protest may be working but i agree with letting the police protect my country, county, and state as long as there are in the right state of mind the people should as well.

Virgil 4A said...

Freedom Of Speech and Right to Assemble, is what this is, I feel the police have no wright to stop them. I Think the protests are not that effective but they can start working over time. The movement is attracting negative and good attention people are getting tired of the economy and stressing over jobs.!

Virgil 4a

Anonymous said...

I think the police are doing the right thing by protecting the people. The protesters are drawing negative attention. Nothing is changing Obvisouly, things are just getting worse. Fights and violence is the message the protesters are giving because when they start protesting that's all they bring around.

Deche Neal

Anonymous said...

sometimes protesters bring negative attention that the police has to stop it's there job whatever that is violating the people well the police to stop it so they had the right Jamal Hailey 2B

Anonymous said...

I think the police were wrong to try and stop them. Even though they were only doing it for the people's safety, the people have a right to stand up for what they believe in. I think that protesting helps and no one should stand in their way of getting what they want.

Shannon Weaver
2A

Anonymous said...

well from what i have read the police are infringing on the citizens all they are doing is hurting and arresting people just because they are protesting and they go past their limitations by a tiny bit. I feel like these protests at the moment they might not be working but after a while of protesting the government will eventually get tired and do what the citizens want.
Belky Carbajal
Period :4A

Anonymous said...

In my opinion the police were absolutely wrong in this case. People should not be faulted nor criticized for what they feel. Protests are obviously based on beliefs. Each citizen of the U.S. has a right to their opinions, feelings, and beliefs. Although the police were only doing their job their should be a stop in the way they approach and react to certain situations.

Karisa Johnson 4A

Anonymous said...

i think the police had the wright to do what they did because the protest was getting out of control in other places and in a way its lost its mean on why they were doing that. you are never sure what you will gain out of it but you will lose your job if you do not go to work for a long time. if u are going to protest do it in a organized manner.
*^Paula Ramos 4-A^*

Anonymous said...

Dontonio Burdette2B: I think the police should protect the people and the people in occupy D.C should give up whatever yall doing its not working LET IT GO we all want change but the government are bums there not going to help us. The attention yall are attracting is bad attention it time to end this go home change is going to come one day just wait and pray on it.

JACKIE:) said...

This all goes back to the natural born rights we are born with. Freedom of Press, Freedom of Speech,ect. I beleive that the government did not want protesters especially ones opposing a major decision of the government. Having the police imvolved showed how threatened the government really is. The people were allowed to assemble where they did because they were not causing harm to anyone. I feel like the protesting is somewhat working just like any protest. Their voices are heard whether you want to hear it or not. And sometimes that is the best way to get your point across.
-Jackie.

Anonymous said...

DeShauna Wilson
Period. 2B

I think the police had a right to protect the public and the people in this case but they could have handled the situation in a different way. I dont think that the protects are working. I think that protesting isnt going to always work for every situaion or problem that the government system has. Its getting the governments attention but that doesnt mean that the problem/situation is going to get fixed right away. I think that the occupy movements are attracting attention but not the type of attention thats entended.

Brandon Beckwith 1A said...

I do think the police had to do to keep everyone safe.I am not sure if the people who are protesting don't really even know what there protesting for anymore.This is starting to become more of a gathering than a political protest.

Anonymous said...

I think the police were correct to protect the people. But i dont think that they needed to arrest anyone. The police could have gave them a certain time to take it down & if they didnt, then you can start arresting. I do think the protest are working because they wanted them to have everyones attention, an they got it. But i also dont think its working because they are doing this for a reason. The reason has not been successful. They should just stop trying. They are attracting police, the news, and the governments attention.

Aneya Dixon 3B

Jada Young said...

I think the police had the right to arrest these people because they were 'protecting the safety of the public' and the people was violating the park rules. I think these protests are not really working but, yet causing a lot of chaos, for example, people being arrested and beat by police because they are violating the rules of places and breaking laws. These movements have bought upon more violence in my opinion, because of the violations these people are doing, although they have rights to do certain things they are going over-board.

-2B

ChristianJohnson2BContinued said...

I'm sick of these protesters. Seems like every week they are looking to piss off police. Look, if the so called "public" property is actually privately owned, then the police had every right to do what they did. If it was public then they had no right because these protesters were not endangering citizens' safety. These protests are not working because all you see in the headlines is the violence and debates on whether these protesters are justified. All these distractions are distorting the protesters' original message. Honestly, I don't know what kind of attention these people want. All I know is their 15 minutes of fame has come and gone.

Anonymous said...

Yes I belive the police have to protect the public. I just think they could have done it a diffrent way. The police always take protest outta hand.The police could have gave them a warning. Also I think they got everyone's attention now. Espically unwanted attention. Deyonna Butts(3B)

TehyaP said...

I believe the police have the right to protect the public. When it come to the protesting i think they take matters to far. I feel that some of these arrests that they made were unneccesary. These protest would be working better if it did not seem that they were trying to make the police be cruel towardas them. So in my opinion they are not drawing good attention. Tehya Pritchett(2B)

Anonymous said...

Yea i think the police should protect the public but they should have did it in a different way instead of just arresting them. They should have atleast gave them a warning and if they didnt listen then start making demands then make the arrest ... thats why alot of people dont like the police now ..

Terrence Moore 1B