Originally this SS plan was meant for people to retire and live comfortably for 10-15 years. Now, people live to be almost 100, meaning they could receive SS benefits for 30 years!
Click Here to Read
After reading this information, do you feel as though SS is an effective program or do you think people should be allowed to keep their money and invest it for their retirement themselves? Or should people be able to choose which plan they want? Use Facts, Examples, and Reasons to explain your opinion.
48 comments:
DeAndre' Davis 2A
I think SS is an effective program but then again I think people should be able to keep their money and invest it, but investing can also cause problems. For the most part people should be able to figure out on their own which financial plan they choose to use to therefore have money in the future after retirement. "For almost all of its 75-year history, the program has collected more in payroll taxes than it paid out in benefits" I feel this is disrespectful to the people who have unknowingly had money taken from them and in turn receive nothing. We all know the economy is falling very quickly I don't think that the SS is broke but they are just short changing the people stated here... "Social Security isn't broke — it has $2.6 trillion in a trust fund built up from decades of surpluses, "so it is nowhere close to being unable to pay benefits." This needs to stop immediately.
I think SS is an effective program , but investing might be good as well , but investing could cause people to loose money instead of gaining money , because if where ever you invest your money at , if that system , or business was to fail then what ? you wouldn't have any money to spare . And since social security has it's 2.6 trillion in trust funds build up from surpluses , why wouldn't they be able to pay the retired ?
I think SS is an effective program , but investing might be good as well , but investing could cause people to loose money instead of gaining money , because if where ever you invest your money at , if that system , or business was to fail then what ? you wouldn't have any money to spare . And since social security has it's 2.6 trillion in trust funds build up from surpluses , why wouldn't they be able to pay the retired ?
I think SS is an effective program , but investing might be good as well , but investing could cause people to loose money instead of gaining money , because if where ever you invest your money at , if that system , or business was to fail then what ? you wouldn't have any money to spare . And since social security has it's 2.6 trillion in trust funds build up from surpluses , why wouldn't they be able to pay the retired ?
Tanisha Brice
4A
I Think That SS Is An Effective Program Because People Should Be ALLOWED To Keep There Hard Earned Money They Worked For Couple Of Years' It Shouldn't Be Spread Around To Someone That Haven't work For Nothing They Haven't Earned. They Should Be Able To Invest In Something They Always Wanted To Do With It. Like invest In A Family Business
I think people should be able to receive their SS because doing the time they where working they new that they where going to have that money when they get old or if they have to stop working, because an illness or etc. So if people worked for their money then they should be able to get it.
Let's be honest. Social security was a previously thought out plan. There was no way for them to truly be able to predict that advances in medicine and science would double the life expectancy rate. However allowing people to keep their money may not be the best idea. Some people aren't the best at financial responsibility. They may have no money at all by the time they reach retirement age in which case they may never be able to retire. Having the option of being able to choose a plan is the perfect thing. The only necessary thing may be a limit to the maximum amount people are allowed to receive for SS.
Ayinde Michael 1A
Mary Grace Jose/1B
The social security is a good program but i do have to admit that when is was made in the 1930's, many people were dying by the age of 65. Now, many people are living up to their 90's and eventually they would have to keep sending in money to people. That might be a downfall but another conclusion is that the social scurity is still making money from the many other paychecks they have from people & the only way they would go broke is if people stop using social security.
The people who retired do have the eligibility to use the money they earned but would they really save money for their retirement?! not many people can save money and some people who make lots of many can't even finance themselves so unless a person can actually save money then it would be okay for me.
I think social security is an effective program. Like when people retire and they live check by check they can u that check to help keep their house under there name. It is also effective because they earned there money and it keep the people from complaining to the government.
I think social security was a good plan when it first went into action however I do believe that it's time for us to revise our social security benefits, Mainly because people are living longer thanks to modern medicine so I think In contrast I do agree that we should be able if we want to keep it or not but I think a better agreement based upon the people and what they would want as their option B would be better... I Think something around the lines of being able to keep the benefits but if we want to change thus be able to much like a government...Josh.W 2B
- After reading this information . . .I dont feel as though social security is an effective program . . .i Think people should be allowed to keep there money and invest it fir there retirement or for an emergency. Also people should be able to choose which plan they want. the government should not have the decision to choose what people plan should be.
TaqiyyahRecio
Period3b
Justin Boone 1B
I believe that the SS is a successful program. The SS program should become optional, because there are many people who cannot manage their money well, and with the SS program, they will be sure that they will get back all of the money that they have given. Those who can manage their money should be able to hold onto it and rely on themselves to make concious decisions about how they save their money.
I think social security is an effective program because it supplies funds for each person that has it individual costs. Also social security will be needed when the youth gets older, all the money used to support other investments won't be beneficial decades from now.
I think that the SS program is a very effective program because its stores money away for you when you become older and are no longer able to work. Although people are starting to live longer I dont see an issue because they said the trust fund has like 2.6 trillion dollars in it and that is plenty. As long as they continue to do this(take money for the SS fund) there should be no problem with the amount left for other generations.
Andre Lowery 4A
I feel as though SS is an effective program . I think its effective because when you get older & retire , sometimes all people have is their SS check. If people wuld be allowed to keep their money and invest it for retirement themselves , alot of things would go wrong. For example, some people would spend the money on things other than their retirement. I think people should be able to choose which plan they want because everybody is different. Some people are responsible enough to save their money , others arent.
Dyamond Nelson
2B
I think that it should be a choice because maybe people would have more money if they saved and didn't give some to social security. Or maybe the social security will be more. I do think social security is a effective program because it helps the poor.
Deche' Neal
Diamond Nicholas 2B
I think that the SS program is effective. I say this because what if your money get lost in that investment. I think that people should pick and choose which plan they want. They should do this because they should go by what they trust not what other people think that is best for them.
I think the current SS program is effective. I get Social Security until I'm 18, but I don't get it directly. If people were allowed immediate access to their money, they could dip into it too early and hurt themselves later on.
Jordan D.
1B
I Think Social Security is helpful to everybody. But I also think that people should have a choice in whether they want Social Security or they want to keep the money themselves and invest it some other way. But Social Security is a wonderful idea ad a good plan.
Shannon Weaver
2A
Ron Phillips 3B....
I think SS program is a good program, beacuse when people get money from they pay check they spend it all on Cars, Clothes, Bills, ect. So when its time for them to retire they wouldnt have any money to fall back on or to leave to there loves ones thats left behind. Also if they didnt have th SS program people would never be able to retire.
I think people should be able to chose the plan they want to recieve because not everyone wants to doo the same thing. Some peolple may want to save their money and invest while others might just want to recieve thier money after they retire like normal. I think it all just really comes down to finiancia problems such as do you really need the money to actually pay a bill or bu somthing you need or do you just want it to buy things you want.
Anthony Franklin
4a
I think the SS program is effective because some people would use the money that is usually put into it for unnecessary things like shoes, and things. I do think people should be able to choose their own plan because they know was right for them and whats not.
Donyah Bunn
4a
I think SS is an effective program. But I also think that people should have a choose in whether they want to do SS or whether they want to invest thier money thier own way.
Maquis Wright
2A
I feel that SS is a good effective thing but if they change this it will not because of the fact hat, if you putting all that money into SS while you were working all them long hard years and they going stop invest because you live longer than expected, that's crazy in my eyes. But people should invest in there own money instead of SS, because they are the ones working and they should do what they want with there money and invest in what they want to.-Juwan Reese 1b
I think that the SS program is a very effective program because most elders that retire only have that SS check every month. I also think that elders should be able to control their own money because if its the money they work hard for why does it have to go to social services. Most of that money will be needed for emergency purposes. Honestly I wouldn't want money taken out of my pay check but that's the Government for you.
D.Proctor 4/A
Elijah Powell
3B
I think the SS program is very good.There's a big population on this earth,and a lot of people spend their money on things that are needed,and a lot of people use their money on cars and clothes,then they have to pay a house bill,or rent..It just make sure that the world is okay and has a little breathing room for them for doing good.Your retirement checks is a reward.
I think the SS program is extremely successful and they should still implement that program for people that want to retire. The people that recieve that retirement money should be able to regulate and control what they want to do with that money. Elders should be granted money when they retire because they have worked many years and deserve to have some money to fall back on.
-Cailyn Thomas
1B
#DonaldMoore #Period4a SS is an effective program but then again I think people should be able to keep their money and invest it, And Yes You As The Retiered Worker Should do Anything you want to do with your money
I think that SS had both pros and cons. Once you turn 65, you don't move or operate how you use to when you were younger, therefore, you can stop working and rely on your retirement money. However, out of billions of people, how many people make it to the age of 65? I think that people should choose whether or not they want to receive all their money, or take some of it out for their retirement check.
DeShauna Wilson
Period.2B
I think that people should be able to choose which plan they want. It should be totally up to them if they want to keep their money or put it into their retirement plan. For people who are over 65, and have an retirement plan they should be able to take money out whenever they need it. For example if they get sick and have to go to the hospital and they dont have the money for it they should be able to take the money out of their retirement plan to pay for their bill.
I think the SS plan is effective because they people are able to get all the money back that was deducted from them by social security. I think that they should stop taking money from checks because their not broke. They have enough money on their own. But this plan is effective enough so that people can get their money that is rightfully theirs.
Rikieshia Brown 4A
This article surprises me, and worries me. I dont believe theur broke because seventeen and they are still taking money out my check, and hat money needs to go somwhere. think the idea or concept was good intially but change is constant. So I dont think we should completely exclude the method but simply modify it. I am glad to hear that people are living longer that is a big accomplishment for mankund with the grace of GOD. But again this makes me nervous and if for the next generations including mine.
After reading this article this open my eyes alot. Now i realize that i will have to work that much harder in my careear for my retirement . Because Social Securit does not fund the elderly like they are suppose to even though hey have the money. An also education is very vitial now a days because most people retire in there 40s and live untill there 90
Social security is a very effective program. People should not be able to keep their money and invest it in retirement themselves simply because we all know people are irresponsible and many will not do so wisely. The government is doing its part in securing and ensuring the well being of its citizens now and for years to come. If people do not invest when they get older and unable to work who will support them no one, the social security bit was one of the most intelligent ideas of our government. People should not be able to choose because most will choose to keep their money being greedy and will suffer in the long run.
-Breanna Brown 1B
Terrell P. 2A
i believe that social security is ok to me sort of. i say this because they help you save your own money so that way you dont spend all your money at an early age so that way you wont have anymore money when you want to retire. But i also believe that many social security companies might take more money from your checks so that way they can take more money from you so they can take it or so you have to work longer before retiring.So if it was up to me i would say that its up to yourself because either way could be bad or good for your life after retirement.
yes this is a good program because as people get elderly and cannot work anymore they can get a ss check and still be able to live happy and enjoy their years as a retired citizen. also since they get this benefit until they die is good because if there was a age limit and a person lives longer than that age limit then it would be hard for them to make money so this is a good effective program
KEVIN HOLSTON 2B
I think it can be good and it could be bad bcause by time you start getting your money back at the age of 65 your at your later most most years. i think that peaople should keep their money and invest it on something they want to invest it on and save their own money for their retirement but then again it helps the peaople that dont get as much income as other people.
I agree with Justin. Although the SS program is a smart and effective thing, it should be optional. If people want to keep their money, let them. It should be their choice whether or not to spend it wisely. The SS Program is just a helping hand.
-Kiah Williams 1A
Tiffany Watson ( 2B )
I believe that SS is an effective thing . I think that if you work hard then you deserve to be paid so you can focus on your self when you are old. If the government cut SS then older adults would have to work longer than what they really should . And most elderly people can not work on the same level as a middle aged person .
I think it is better to follow the SS program because even though when investing money on your own can gain more money, you can also lose money dramatically.
Jasmine Biggs 1B
I think the SS is an effective program because they're a lot of people that that's not good with managing their money. They're either burning a hole in their pockets gambling or spend money on dumb stuff, and by time they retire they ill be penny saving because they don't have any money to take care of themselves.
Charles Jackson 3B
I beileve the SS is an effective program because not all people may be able to save up their money as well it would be equivalent to saving up for a child's college fund things may come up and that money may need to be used which will start you over at 0$ for retirement. My grandma is currently retired and she get her monthly check and they are a big help to her. without these checks I'm not sure my grandmother could afford the comfortable life she lives now she would be working and struggling till her death if it weren't for this program.
Yes i think SS is effective program because i think it helps people save monies up for retirement,, i think SS is doing everyone a favor. if the govt. never took out the SS money i do believe most people will be broke
I think people should pick a plan. SS is a great idea and benefits many people. At the same time i feel that people should not let SS be their only source of income. Some people should learn how to save up money so the SS trust funds can last longer
Marques Malone
I think that the people should be able to chose weither to get that money now and do what ever they want to do with it, or stay with the regular procedure. If it was me I think I would stick with the usual plan and just get the money when I retire unless I really needed the money now for a certain emergency. But in my eyes Social security is a great idea no matter which way you use it.
Michael West 4a I think they should choose tio get the money now our later. Sometimes you can lose your job before retirement and bout get any money.
I believe that the SS is a successful program. The SS program should become optional, because there are many people who cannot manage their money well, and with the SS program, they will be sure that they will get back all of the money that they have given. Those who can manage their money should be able to hold onto it and rely on themselves to make concious decisions about how they save their money.
Moises Vargas-Alba 3B
I believe that the SS program is a successful plan because if it was so bad then the government probably would've changed it by now and i don't hear anybody complaining about the SS plan.Some need this program because if they kept the money that was taken from their checks then during their retirement they would've been broke.
Post a Comment