Check School Announcements at: http://friendlyhsdailyannouncements.blogspot.com/

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Police Brutality at Occupy Wall Street Movements

For the last few weeks the Occupy Wall Street Movements have been growing stronger all around the world. Reports have started coming in about police officers getting violent with the protestors.

Click Here to Read Article

Do you think the police are out of line or are they trying to maintain order on the streets? Do they have a right to be concerned that protests could affect public safety? How could/should they handle the situation differently?


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

in my opinion i feel like the police men are going too far, they are out of line. and i feel like they may have the right to be concerned about public saftey but not to go too far and start hurting innocent people for fighting about what they care about. and they can handle the situation differently by just talking to them. they could use a siren to get their attention and talk to them that way. and what that police man did to Scott Olsen by throwing a tear gas canister and fracturing the guys skull face that was horrible i feel like that police man should have gone to jail for that for throwing that to the man for no apperant reason that was really unfair.
Belky Carbajal
Period: 4A

Edith Gonzalez said...

i feel that some protesters are very agressive and the policy try to keep everything calm and in order especially keeping the citizens safety. i feel that the police should warn the protesters of course everyone has freedom of speech but if they go overboard they should be worn by being arrested,if they dont respect what has being told to them then they will receive their punishment.

Anonymous said...

i feel that protesters are willing to fight, but they have think to stay calm so that no one will get hurt. but police can do wrong things that shouldn't be down. i mean their protesters they fight for rights
Jamal Hailey 2B

Angel Johnson 4A said...

I think it is wrong for police to harm nonviolent civilians. Protests have been done for many years and not all have ended in brawls between authority and citizens. If a protest is consistent but peaceful, I believe due to the freedom of speech these people have a right to speak their cause.I think the use of violence is just the way for the authority to degrade the people and possibly kill their spirits. I can only hope that the protesters will continue you stating their cause without bringing a negative energy because violence against violence will only divert attention from the matter at hand.

Anonymous said...

Completely, 100% out of line. The authorities have no rights whatsoever to harm unarmed peaceful protestors. Doing so is one of the biggest abuses of power I have ever seen in my entire life and it disgusts me. These people are here standing up for what they believe in without causing and danger to the public and along comes an officer who feels "hey look theres something i can get away with." The public safety here is obviously fine since the only people actually causing the damage are the people hired to prevent it.

Ayinde Michael 1A

Anonymous said...

Justin Boone 1B

I believe that police brutality is completely unecessary in this circumstance. The police should not get violent with protestors unless the protestors become violent with them. The public's safety is very important and I bekieve that the officers can keep things in order withiut any physical contact.

RaVon D. said...

i think they might have the right to be concerned about public saftey but not to go far as start hurting innocent people for fighting about what they care about. They can handle the situation in a different better way by as simply making a public service anouncement(PSA)

Rashad Atkins 4A said...

I think police are out of line 99.9% of the time. They always abuse there power just because they have a badge doesn't mean there a good guy. Like arresting people just because there protesting that isn't right. The government gave us rights to freedom of speech and just because they stand on the wrong piece of land doesn't mean you arrest them. Like for instance the man Scott Olsen got hit with a teargas bomb and then they threw a flashbang grenade in the crowd for trying to help the man. I think that is entirely to far the police should be getting arrested no the protesters.

Anonymous said...

I think the police took it too far. They shoudnt abuse the civilians if they didn't abuse them. I think this is a violation to the citizens rights. For an example, in the bill of rights we have freedom of speech and the right to petition the government. This violates the freedom of speeh towards the protesters because they are sharing their opions to the people in the world. This also violates the right to petition the government because they re trying to change the world by petitioning and protesting. This why I think the police are taking it too far because they aren't considering the rights of the citizens.
Rikieshia Brown4A

Anonymous said...

I think the police took it too far. They shoudnt abuse the civilians if they didn't abuse them. I think this is a violation to the citizens rights. For an example, in the bill of rights we have freedom of speech and the right to petition the government. This violates the freedom of speeh towards the protesters because they are sharing their opions to the people in the world. This also violates the right to petition the government because they re trying to change the world by petitioning and protesting. This why I think the police are taking it too far because they aren't considering the rights of the citizens.
Rikieshia Brown4A

Anonymous said...

i think that the police does have the right to be concerned for the public safety but they shouldnt hurt people for prtesting and fighting for what they believe.. everyone has the right to express their feelings in a certian way but also they have to make sure they are expressing temselves in a good healthy manner to ot harm anyone else.

katherine ventura 2a

Jada Young said...

I was hoping there would be another post on occupy wall street because I just seen a show on MTV about it (True Life). The police are taking advantage of there power, because of all the people who are protesting I don't understand how they could just choose a group of people and start beating them and arresting nonviolent civilians, it's not solving anything. Unless the protesters are messing with the police. For example, I think that if the protesters are talking of to the police or throwing things at them, they have the right to arrest and/or react. However, the protesters seem not to be obeying the officers so I can understand why the police are getting mad about it. The protesting is important and makes a lot of sense. The protesters have the right to protest because we have freedom of speech and the right to petition the government.


-2B

Julius Bradley 1A said...

I believe sadly the police are just doing their jobs. However i feel as though the people creating these laws are violating the protestors rights to a peaceful protest. Since the protest arent getting out of hand and are not violent police interference should not be needed. The only reason i feel that the law makers are making these laws is because they are trying to keep the protest from making them have to change the things there doing wrong. They should create a place where such protest can be allowed .

Anonymous said...

I do think the police are wrong because how can you try and stop some one from protesting their beliefs. Freedom of speech. Police can maybe try and come to an agreement or just leave it alone. They don't have the right .

Deche' Neal

Anonymous said...

I feel like that the police are just doing their job because sometimes protestors can be taking it to far. Then again the police can take it to the extreme and violently beat the protestors which they dont have to do. I think the poilce officeres should just let them protest and if things get ouuta hand then they should step in.
Raymond Flowers 1B

Anonymous said...

I think they're out of line because thats a cruel punishment to the citizens, but they have to do what they have to do to maintin order if the people on wall street get chaotic. They shouldn't be concerned because it's a freedom of speech by saying anything you want as long as it's not seriously hurting someone. I think they should take action if the protesters attack them physically.
Charles Jackson 3B

Anonymous said...

I believe the police are out of line because, there is no need to break up a group of PEACEFUL protestors, they arent harming anyone.I honestly believe some police officers are power happy and feel that just because they have a weapon that they are in control of everyone. Yes they do have a right to be concerned about protest that could affect public saftey because that is their job. They getpaid to ensure public saftey.

Phillip Moore 1b

ChristianJohnson2BContinued said...

While I do not agree with this protest, the cops did not have a right to get violent. This is peaceful protesting and is thereby protected by these citizens' first amendment. Nobody is being hurt by this protest. I would suggest that the police block off certain parts of New York so the citizens would be forced to move or quit. This area should be private anyway.

Anonymous said...

I believe that the police are overstepping their boundaries while under the pretenses that they are "keeping the peace." Yes the police does have the right to be concerned about whether or not the protests threaten public safety, as it is their job. A way for the police to not be hated for trying to "keep the peace," is to be more careful in what they think is a violent action from the protesters.

:Hunter Howard 1B:

Anonymous said...

These policeman are way out of line. They are misusing their power over others and it is they who should be the ones being checked for wrongdoing. They punish people for having peaceful protests or standing in a wring area. They make violent impacts and are just wrong. They do not have the right to be concerned that protests could affect public safety because it is peaceful. They could handle the situation differently by talking things out instead of resorting to unwanted and unnecessary violent actions.

Tariq Abdullah -2A

Anonymous said...

I think it was irrelevant for the police to throw a tear gas Scott Olsen. If they wanted to control the protest i think they should of at least threw it where no one would get hurt.Police should only take action when its needed,like if the protesters are throwing things and are getting dangerous.In this case he wasn't doing nothing wrong.
Cainan 1A

OjitosBonitos Maria said...

I believe thAT police need to do there jobs and citizens should know there roles and rights as a citizen.I believe Each party has a role to play and policemen or citens(protesters) can take things to far. Either because of a disagreement, confusion, or misinterprettation. WHich is common for humans, But i do think that police need to better understand protesting and try and approach things maaybe a little better and handle and deal with them a little better!

Anonymous said...

i think its wrong for police to do that. beacuse with out that badge they are feeing the same way we are but they will not admit it

4A Romello collier