Check School Announcements at: http://friendlyhsdailyannouncements.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Genetic Pre-Screening

Modern technology now lets expecting parents find out not only whether they will be having a baby girl or a baby boy but also whether their child is at risk for having genetic conditions such as Down Syndrome or Autism.

Click Here to Read Article

Do you think these types of screenings help parents to know what to expect? Or cause unneccessary worries? Or lead to abortions? Would you want to do the screenings if/when you or your significant other got pregnant? Is this screening an example of modern medicine or is it humans trying to play God? Use Facts, Examples, and Reasons to explain your answer

63 comments:

josh williams said...

I think its great that we can now determine if it's a boy or girl or if it has any disorders, However at the same if it does have any complications it would be good to know what you would be in for or if you would like to adopt it however I agree that this would greatly increase the number of abortions, I personally would get get the screenings however I would let the future take its course like it was ment to and just try again, I do think humans are trying to play the parts of god because if it was ment to be then so be it however now we can can see but maybe in the near future we will be able to change any complications...Josh.W 2B

Anonymous said...

Its good that we have technology that determines if your having a boy or a girl. i think it is good and bad that the screening tests tells you what to expect. I think its good because you could possibly know what to expect. But it is also bad because it could get soon to be mothers worried about their newborn having down syndrome or Autism. I think this would lead to higher rates of abortion. I think i would get the screening test, i wouldn't worry about how my baby will come out.
Aneya Dixon 3B

Edith Gonzalez said...

this type of screenings would help parents know what to expect because they will be aware when there child get's here. Meaby, i would get the screening to determine whether my child is in a good state of health or poor. This may also bring bad effects because many people would want abortion. I feel that baby's are blessings of God so no matter how the situation is people shouldn't have abortions period.

Lyric-Freeman said...

P:2A I Think Its Good But It Might Also Cause Unnecessary worries Like The Parent Hasn't Even Had The Baby Yet And Is Worried Already Because Of Something That The Doctor Said That Might Not Even Be True and I Don't Think It Makes People Want Abortions What Does That Have To Do What The Baby Having a Disorder And This Screening Is an Example Of Medicine Because Were Not Trying To Be God People Just Want To Know Whats Going On Inside Of Them

Rashad Atkins 4A said...

Yes these screening do help the parents know what to expect. I think this will cause unneccesary wories but it also help to inform the parents to know about there child before it is delivered. I don't think there are playin God they just want to be curious and answer the parents requests.

Anonymous said...

I Think It Is Great That There Is A New Technology That Allow's The Mother-To-Be To Know If Her Child Has Down Syndrome But It Does Put More Risk At Abortions Because If The Mother's Child Does Have Down Syndrome Then She Might Want To Get Rid Of The Baby But That Is Up To The Mother If She Want's To Get Rid Of Her Baby. Also I Don't Think They Are Trying To Be God Because Obviously NO ONE CAN BE HIM!! But They Only Trying To Make It Easier For The Parent's.


Kayla Faulk:3B

Anonymous said...

I think could help parents but its creates to much anxiety to parents, because every parent wants there child to come out healthy this could also lead to abortions,because a lot of parent could not take the stress of having a child with down syndrome. I think I would want to see my chance, that about it because I wouldn't want to worry myself .

Nace Denton-Hurst
4A

Anonymous said...

I think this is a bonus for parents because maybe if a parent knew thier child would have a disorder then they could better prepare themselves for it. I don't think this would cause worries because anytime a couple is having a baby , I'm sure they have worries, that's just natural. I do think this can cause parents to want to abort because they may not want a disabled child. I would defiantly do the test if I was pregnant.

Deche' Neal

Anonymous said...

#DonaldMoore #Period4a
Too Be Honest, In a Honest Opinion i think that screening is trying to play gods work. Because a baby is a miracle so you should be suprised by what gender baby you should be having. But in other Terms It Helps Too Determine What Kind Of Baby your Having Male/Female . And For Right now I Dont Think it Causes Unneccessary Worries

Anonymous said...

-Yess I think these types of screenings help parents to know what to expect A Girl Or Boy. Its Better To Know if something wrong with the baby then waiting 9 months which may not be good.No screening do not lead to abortions. Yess i would want the screenings done when I get pregnant which wont be any time soon because i would like to find out if its a girl or boy. this screening is not an example of modern medicine or is it humans trying to play God.
TaqiyyahRecio
Period3b

Anonymous said...

Justin Boone 1B

I believe that our modern technology is very useful and making new exciting advancements. The screening technology can be very useful but also cause alot of problems, just like any new invention. The new screenings will give the parents a heads-up on what they should expect thier child to be like, but then again, it could also cause a major rise in the abortion percentage. I believe that this new invention should only be given when asked for.

Angel Johnson 4A said...

I think these screening tests are very useful to parents that are anxious in knowing what to expect with their baby. If i had the choice i would definetly have a screen test just so i can know the probability of me having a boy or girl. I wouldn't care if the screen tests shows risk of down syndrome because it could be incorrect and a baby isn't something you should just get rid of because it has a disability i would just have to deal with that.

Anonymous said...

i think it was a good idea for the creator who made the technology to find out if you have a baby or not because if no one was able to find out if they had a baby or not then it would probably be more of an increase of the baby population then ever if the technology of finding out if had child or not. i am very thank full of that man made technology that was made. not just for me an my future but for everyone else that has a new born on the way. Horace.W

Anonymous said...

Yes, i do think theese types of screenings both help parents what to expect and cause worries. I dont neccessarily think they lead to abortions but they may cause some women to consider it. I would want to do the screenings if i was pregnant to check on my childs health. I wouldnt be so concrned about the gender of my child as long as its healthy.I wouldnt consider abortion if my child is at risk for having genetic conditions . However, it would be nice to know before I have my child. This screening is an example of modern medicine not humans trying to play God because most of the these result are accurate.
-Dyamond Nelson
2B

Anonymous said...

This screening can do amny thinigs to differnt people. If the mother knows that with out a doubt that she will keep the baby no matter what, then the screening will not affect them. But if the parent is not sure, then this may cause unneccessary problems, or abortions. Me personally, I would not do the screening, not because I may be scared of the outcome, but because I would love the baby no matter what. I think the screening is helpful to many. I do not think the humans are trying to play God. Doctors are there to help us when we need help, and all they are trying to is get the mothers prepared for what may happen. the doctors are just doin thier job.

Shannon Weaver
2A

Anonymous said...

I think that it is great that now we can tell whether the babies today will be a boy or a girl and whether if the baby will have any disorders. The only problem is once the parents know their baby will have a disorder they will worry too much about the situation and either put it up for adoption or get an abortion. If it was my child i would rather not wantto know so that I won't worry about the situation or make a decision may regret.

Anthony Franklin
4a

Anonymous said...

I believe that these screenings help the parents know if it's a baby girl or boy , but at an unneccessary cost. If the parents want to know what gender the baby is months before with a risk of giving the baby a genentic disorder. If it was me I would just wait and see if it is a boy or girl and keep it safe from unneccessary cost.

Zachary Anderjaska 1A

Anonymous said...

I think that the new technology of screening is good because you can know if your have a girl or boy also if it has any disorders.I personally would get the screening to be sure what gender of child that i would be having and if the child would have any genetic disorders or conditions but at the same time not believe everything technology proves until the baby is born. But at the same time i believe that this is an example of trying to play God because technology may say that the child has a disorder but when the child is born the child may be healthy and without any disorders or medical conditions...Tarreah T. 1b

Anonymous said...

I think this screening has nothing to do with how your baby is going to turn out. You really determine that yourself because if you do bad things to hurt your baby then they are going to have problems. But if you are lucky enough to even get pregnant do what your suppose to and leave it in Gods hands because you don't have anything to worry about after that.

Dierra 1B

Anonymous said...

I dont think the doctors are tying to play God I just think they are tryin to find better diagnoises and help parents get prepared the best way they can. But this may lead to unnecessary worries and can cause more abortions
Marquis Wright
2A

Anonymous said...

I think this technology is a very good thing. I think it helps parents get prepared for whats coming in to their life. People need to know what their dealing with.If they choose to abort then shouldnt be having a kid inn the first place.
- Dorian Womble 1A

Anonymous said...

I think that this technology is helpful to parents who are really anxious but it may not be good for some people who find out the worst. I wouldn't want to have a screening because I don't want to have to worry about if my baby has a disorder and end up thinking twice and make bad decisions.

Adam Pinkney 4A

Anonymous said...

I think that in a way it is good to inform a future parent to no what is there probability but it can also bad, because it would cause the parent to worry so much. It would cause some parent to tbink of aborting which is not the best choice. If they would ask me if i wanted to have a screening test i would say no because i won't care how my baby is born because i will still love it and care for it more.

^*Paula Ramos 4-A*^

Anonymous said...

These types of screenings help parents to know what to expect and are very helpful to one because you can begin to purchase things for that gender. I think that anyone who become pregnant will have unnecessary worries because they are either a new parent or scared because they are the reason for the next human being. I do believe that these screenings may cause a new parent to be worried and can lead to an abortion if the screenings say the child is at risk with a disease. They are never 100% accurate, so It is a huge risk to take one and be unsure if your child is at any risks. If I was pregnant I would like to have one just to know what to prepare for when the child is born. For example, I would rather find out that my child had genetic conditions before because I can prepare for the birth and know what to expect. would have to say that these screenings are an example of playing God, because they are never accurate and I look as it to being more of a test to see if you can handle what your getting.

-Jada Young/2B

Anonymous said...

Elijah Powell
3B

I Agree With Aneya.The technology that tells you how your baby going to come out and if its a boy or a girl is a good idea but its a bad side to it also.They can tell someone that their child has mental disorders.That parent will be hurt,which leads up to people getting abortions.So really its 50/50 with that process.They helping people but also hurting others.

Anonymous said...

I think that this is a good thing. I wouldn't want to be wondering whats going on when i can know up front. Knowing if its a boy or girl can be very good information because you can be prepared before you have your child. Some people don't want to know and want to be surprised so i think that these screenings should only be used if asked for or recommended to. I think that knowing the baby's illness is good too because if youre just having a baby and this may be your first child; you may not know how to handle it so at least if youre warned ahead of time you can do research and become fond of what your child may go through. Even though this is good there is a bad side because some people wont accept their child knowing that something is wrong with them so they may end up aborting it instead of having it.

-ChynaM 3B :)

Anonymous said...

I think this is a bad idea because people these days want to get the best out of everything. You should be patient and wait it out until you have your child. Okay its good to know but sometimes the truth will affect you. What if you find out something is wrong with your child and choose abort it, it could have all been avoided if you didn't take the screening. If my significant other got pregnant I wouldn't want to use this screening. Its too much baggage to come with it when you can just wait. Even if she did take the test I will still accept my child if they're conditions were bad.

D.Proctor 4/A

Anonymous said...

The screenings in my opinion are really good , and if I was pregnant I would want to do the screenings. I would like to know what might happen to my child , and what kind of situation i will be placed in. I believe women should do this so they will know to make the arrangements to deal with those kind of situations. These screenings are good , and it is good that technology is improving so that everything can be laid out for me when i get pregnant.

-Cailyn Thomas
1B

Anonymous said...

I Do Think The Screening Is A Good And Helpful Thing. It Would Give People What To Expect In The Future Of The Child If They Have A Disorder. But I Also Think That This Can Lead To Problems And High Risks Of Abortions Because If A Person Find Out Their Child Has A Disorder That May Want To Give It Up. I Would Take the Screening So I Could Prepare For My Future. I Think The Screening Should Only Be Done When It Is Ask.
Taylor Bynum 1A

Anonymous said...

Dontonio Burdette2B: In my opnion i dont think parents of new born baby should be told if their baby has autism or down sydrome or any type of condition it will worry the parents and probably stress out the mother i would wait till the child gets a little older then tell them. I wouldnt risk the family worrying and panicing about their child before their child is born.

Danyelle said...

I think parents should know the sex and health conditions of their unborn baby. If their baby has down syndrome and don't want to raise it, they should have the option to go through with the pregnancy and give the baby up for adoption, out get an abortion. This would lead to many abortions, however, because people don't want to raise a child who's suffering from disorders.

Anonymous said...

DeShauna Wilson
Period.2B

I think that it gives expecting parents a glimpse of possibilities for their unborn child. Sometimes I think that it does cause unneccessary worries and not on many occassions cause abortions but if a parent knows that their child has Down Syndrome they might consider giving their child up for adoption. If/when I do get pregnant I would want to get a screening to know my possibilities so I wont get any surprises after/during birth. I think that screening is an example of Modern Medicine, doctors give their patients an option and most of them choose to get a screening.

Anonymous said...

I think that that is wonderful. Not saying that parents would want to disown their children with mentally issues like that. But it is good because that lets everyone know that technology is increasing day-by-day.

Taurean 1A

Anonymous said...

I think this is good. The parents would at least know what to expect when their child comes. They could also figure out what they would need to do to help their child's conditions. With this type of technology this could help the future future parents with children that are born ill.
Rikieshia Brown4A

OjitosBonitos Maria said...

In my opinion I dont thnk it should be an actual test because it creates more confusion and anxiety than is needed I mean they are already pregnant thats worry enough about how to raise them teach them feed them.plus doctors and tests aren't all the way right, bcause sometimes they will sayy people would never walk never tall or tell someone they only have a certain amount of time to live. And they do end up walking talking and they keep on living. I dont really know if they are trying to play god but it wouldnt hurt to elimnate it.either.

Anonymous said...

I believe these types of screenings do nothing more but inform the parent of what to expect. If anything it relieves unnecessary worries it gives the parent answers. Its possible that it could lead to more abortions but only if the baby is unhealthy/abnormal. I would most definantly do the screening if i got pregnant because I would want to know all the details of the baby i'm expecting, the screening could obtain important information that could help me be prepared and well aware. The screening are without a doubt a form of modern medicine. Its absolutely not "playing god",not creating babies its merely revealing of info about the baby god already created.
-Breanna Brown 1B

Doria Jefferson said...

Doria Jefferson 4A


I think it does both, know what they are expecting and cause unnecessary worries. But it is not the doctors fault if the expected parent asked for it then they should not get upset. Some do lead to abortions because they want to have the perfect baby. But my opinion all of that is not neccessary because they went through the time to have the baby if something turns out wrong with it then they should be great-ful . God wanted them to have that certain baby, their glad the baby survived. That's just people being embarrassed and unsatisfied of what they have.

Kelly Catama: 2B said...

I like the fact that technology is advancing every year. the thing is: with this article, the type of technology used is a way to tell the parents-to-be what to expect.

the downfall of this is that it will bring these parents to unnecessary worrying because the results are not 100% exact of the child that ends up having down syndrome.

for an example, the article said that the person with a positive will most likely have a child with down syndrome. but most of the time, the child ends up NOT having down syndrome. with these results, we don't know what the actual outcome will be & will stress parents out.

RaVon D. said...

Yes its helps some parents but it does put the children at risk because some parents might not a want a boy/girl so they my want a abortion. i would want the screening because i love kids and i want kids of my own some day.To me the screening is modern medicine of today.

Anonymous said...

I think that this is a good way to prepare for certain disabilities. However, most people don't adapt well to disabilities. So, some people may choose to abort the baby to avoid it. Yes,I would want screenings to make sure my baby is healthy. The humans are not trying to "play God". I think their simply trying to beat the odds and decrease surprises.

-Kiah Williams 1A

Anonymous said...

I think that screenings can help the parents to know what to expect because parents are always wondering if their child has a genetic disease or a certain trait thst can hurt the baby, and with the screening parents would be less worried because they will know how to deal with it.
Jasmine Biggs 1B

_sherylle said...

Tiffany Watson ( 2B )

Technology is built to make life easier, without it we would still be in the stone age . This new technology will help parents that want to know weather or not there child has a special problem or if their child is a boy or girl . Now its the parents choice if they want to abort there child if the child has special needs. Parents abort childeren everyday for no reason , so this will not change anything .

Amber Hackley 1B said...

I don't think It's necessary for a parent to be "prepared" for whats coming. It's life you never know whats coming and if there were a way for you to see whats coming you wouldn't run into the joyful surprises life can bring you. I think this screening would lead to higher abortion rates because lets face it this is a cruel world. I don't think any parent should have a child if they are not prepared to love and care for the child no matter the problems the child may have.

Khadijah T said...

Yes these types of screening help soon to be parents know what to expect...every new parent has its worries so i dont think it promotes more worries,, yes i would want to get the screening this is medicine because a baby growing inside of a baby is god doings man just help enhances how we can see whats going on inside

Anonymous said...

I disagree with the screening process. I say this because if some people find out that their baby may have a defect they may decide to get an abortion. I feel that all children regardless of any special needs or diseases deserves to be loved and cared for. Also, this will give people more things to stress about.

Marques Malone

Anonymous said...

I disagree with these screenings because it kills the surprise factor of child birth. Also, parents in places such as India, have abortions if they find out that the gender of their child is a female. I think you should only know after its too late to have an abortion so even if they are disappointed, they can't schedule an abortion.
Ajani Bryant 1A

Anonymous said...

These screen tests can help parents know what to expect in a perspective with the risk factor of a baby with down syndrome. It may cause unnecessary worries at times since the risk percentages even if positive are still very low, so parents can be worried at unnecessary times as well. I would base my decision on getting the test if me and my significant other agreed upon it, and whether it was really necessary. I believe modern medicine has become an example of scientist playing god by telling the outcome of a child's future.

Tariq Abdullah 2A

ChristianJohnson2BContinued said...

I think these tests are very helpful with parents. It should be your decision on gender so that is good. And as far if this can lead to unnecessary worries or abortions that's a part of pregnancy as a whole. Don't consider being a parent if you're not ready to be stressed (abortions aren't bad either). But I would totally do the screening if me and my lady were having a child. Every pro has a con, but this invention is a beautiful thing and we should utilize it. And playing God? Stop it. This kind of technology is marvelous and if God didn't like it he/she would destroy it. Let's acknowledge this amazing installment in technology and be glad we are able to do so.

Langston Parker said...

this is important because i'm sure parents would not want their kids to have genetic disorders.So if they want to do this thats their choice I think it is a smart Idea for cauious parents.

Langston Parker said...

O yeah and another thing if thier child is likely to have a disorder they can have a more healthy decision as what they want to do with the child

Anonymous said...

Of course these types of screenings helps parents know what to expect. It wouldn't lead to unnecessary worries, because what is there to worry about, when you already know to expect. These types of screenings can lead to abortions, and in my opinion, many abortions. I say that because, some parents might have a messed up mentality where they think there child should be perfect and once they find out something is wrong with their child, its a problem. So therefore it'll lead to an abortion. Personally, when I get older I would love to use this screening procedure because it'll help me prepare more for my child's future before its even born. I don't want my child to come out with a disorder, but if my child were to, I wouldn't even think to have a abortion. This screening procedure is an example of modern medicine, because it prepares you and helps you plan out your decisions to work out your child's problem. You can't say its humans trying to play god, because if that's the case, then whats the point of doctors and scientists trying to cure diseases and things of that nature. You would say everything that's being made to improve the world, is a example of humans trying to play god.

Michael Tyler, P:4A .

Anonymous said...

Yes, I Think These Types Of Screenings Help Parents To Know What To Expect, Because It Shows A Posibility If Your Child Will Have A Birth Defect Or Any Other Problems. Even If There Wasnt Any Problems, It Still Be Good If You Would Know Ahead Of Time For Any Potential Problems. I Persuade My Significant Other To Get This Screening Done, Just To Know If We Have A Chance Of Having Any Birth Defects Or Any Other Problems. I Would Say This Technology Is A Part Of Modern Medicine, Because It Gives The User/Users Outlooks On Whether Or Not Your Child/Children Will Have Any Birth Problems. (Tyrone Koehler-J 2A)

Brandon lee period-2a said...

I think that every parent should have a screening while pregnant so that they can know weither their child is at risk for anything and so that they can try to fix it as soon as possible. I would want to get a screening to know if my child is fine and if not what could I do to help

Anonymous said...

Willam Majette 3B- I think that the screenings will help parents know what to expect. It can cause unneccessary worries and abortion because if a parent finds out that their child has a disability then they might not want to have that baby. I would want the screenings to be taken because i would want top kno my childs gender and whether it has disabilities or not. The screenings are an example of modern medicine because it show how technology has advanced.

Anonymous said...

Michael West 4a there is nothing wrong with this it gives a parent to think of options. They can day they want to keep it and prepare for the obstacles or get rid of it because they can't handel it

Anonymous said...

I think pre-Screening is great. It defiantly does help parents. I can't think of a way it could lead to abortions nor unnecessary worries. This new technology were experiencing is beyond amazing and people should appreciate that. I know its old heads who believe things should be done the old fashioned way, I'm not against that but everything doesn't have to. Our new technology is designed to make life easier. So I'm all for the pre-screening I'd do the screening if my significant wanted too. It would have to take a sick person to abort a baby due to sex. And I suppose pre-screening is an example of modern medicine I don't think it's humans trying to play God because that's impossible.

Kevin Washington

Pretty.Boy.Millionaire☆ said...

These types of screenings help parents to know what to expect and are very helpful to one because you can begin to purchase things for that gender. I think that anyone who become pregnant will have unnecessary worries because they are either a new parent or scared because they are the reason for the next human being. I do believe that these screenings may cause a new parent to be worried and can lead to an abortion if the screenings say the child is at risk with a disease. They are never 100% accurate, so It is a huge risk to take one and be unsure if your child is at any risks.Our new technology is designed to make life easier. So I'm all for the pre-screening I'd do the screening if my significant wanted too. It would have to take a sick person to abort a baby due to sex. And I suppose pre-screening is an example of modern medicine I don't think it's humans trying to play God because that's impossible.

Anonymous said...

Yes I do think these types of screenings help parents know what to expect before the baby is born. If it was me I would get screened so i can know what to expect before my child is born and I can prepare for it. They may cause unnecessary worries to and worrying so much can lead to other problems.Everything is on the problem and everybody looks at things different there maybe a situation when one parent look at it as my child is my child and another parent may look at it as its hard to take care of a child that has down syndrome or thats autistic. I think having these down syndrome and being autistic is hereditary if i was born with one of these diseases i would not want my mommy to be self-fish and abort me
Domonique Moore 2-a

Anonymous said...

Yes I do think these types of screenings help parents know what to expect before the baby is born. If it was me I would get screened so i can know what to expect before my child is born and I can prepare for it. They may cause unnecessary worries to and worrying so much can lead to other problems.Everything is on the problem and everybody looks at things different there maybe a situation when one parent look at it as my child is my child and another parent may look at it as its hard to take care of a child that has down syndrome or thats autistic. I think having these down syndrome and being autistic is hereditary if i was born with one of these diseases i would not want my mommy to be self-fish and abort me
Domonique Moore 2-a

Anonymous said...

Moises Vargas-Alba 3B
I this screening is very helpful but it could to more abortions.If a couple see's that their baby has something wrong before the nine months are up they might consider abortion.I also think this is another way for doctors to try and play God since their trying to learn everything right way before the child only God should know everything from the beginning.

Jade said...

jade.Ellis 3b
okay U think this screening prepares a person for what is to come in the future with their child. I helps them to know what to do when their child is to be born. I would get this screening as well so i can be mentally and physically prepared for my child. I don't believe its playing god. I believe its helping a person, and that is what god were to want. His children being helped.

Ashlei Broughton said...

I don't think its anything wrong with parents wanting to know what they are having. Parents do screening to know what to get the child and to have that exciting experience. Also to no what's wrong with the baby,Illness and all. I wouldn't be to happy if I couldnt find out what I was having. 5 months is a long time some parents want to know.

KaTrina Baker said...

I think its good to know what you want because it wouldnt be good to keep it a surprise. Screening is good because there could be something wrong with the baby, and the doctors need to know how to fix it before it gets worse. This screening coould lead to abortions because, some people may think they wont be able to handle whats coming there way. Honestly i dont beleieve in abortions. If you =r not ready for a baby just give it up for adoption. But personally i would have the screening done.


3B