Click Here to Read Article
What do you think about this idea? Could it be beneficial in making our schools more competitive with other schools around the world? Explain the positive and negative aspects of this bill and then give your opinion on which way you woul vote!
70 comments:
Yes it would be beneficial to have school all year, and it would be nice to compete with schools around the world, but students need a break. They shouldn't even be voting on this because they do not have the money to make this happen. Whenever they get the money, thats when they should vote on this. In the article Lori Morrow said that all year school would help her son retain more stuff but take away time for her family to travel. She is right because most families like to go on vacation during the summer. Students and the teachers. So if they make school year long this also take out a teacher's vacation time as well. So all year school just doesn't affect the children, it also affect the families of the children and the teachers. If i had to vote I would vote leave the school as it is because everyone needs a break.
Shannon Weaver
2A
No it would Not be Beneficial For School Too Be All Year Around. Because Its Already enough that kids , have other things too worry about like jobs & afterschool activitys. So why have too worry about, more days at school i just honestly think the whole idea is crazy.
#DonaldMoore
#Period4a
In my opinion i think this is not a good idea becuease kids dont like school already and they skip school and classes and having school to be year rounded will start to have kids drop out of school and skip more. also it would increas transportation to waste gas more,more food service and heating and cooling costs, like Duane Arbogast said it may be beneficial becuase its true kids would retain more but that would also disrupt family vacations and going to work and u would be alot more stressful and it would not be beneficial to make our schools more competative with schools around the world because of course people who have school year round will definitely win
Belky Carbajal
period: 4A
Diamond Nicholas 2B
I dont think that its beneficial because some kids are already lazy and come to school and do nothing. I like coming to school because i like to learn new stuff because you learn something new everyday.
DeAndre' Davis 2A
I am on the gate based on this bill, yes of course I hate the idea of year round school, but then again we we have a better chance at ranking in a higher position. Schools around the world more than likely have better chances but we still have equal chance if we all become more focused. the more positive facts would be like I said above a better chance to rank higher with other schools, and also us as students becoming smarter. With positive facts there are negative ones too, such as students not showing as much, lack of interest, and it would most likely get just plain boring, who's to say we still would even rank higher?? Exactly, based on this I am voting against it because I definitely LOVE Summer/Spring/Thanksgiving Break !
I think having school all year round will be beneficial .The positive aspect of this bill is that it would prepare students for competition they would eventually have to face when they apply for colleges. However , i dont agree with the proposal. If Prince George's County Schools compete with other schools and/or school systems in the world it would be a true embarrassment. A good number of PGCPS students dont really take education as serious as Montgomery ,Charles or Anne Arundel Counties let alone other schools in the world. I Would vote against the proposal. -Dyamond Nelson 2b
Elijah Powell
3B
I think this idea is not beneficial because kids now are already skipping school.So i think that having school year round would make things worst,more complicated,and stressful.It would be a more waste of time and money for students.It can benefit some kids but for the reason they are trying to do this isnt going to work.It can cause less parents to spend time with their child.You can't take over a childs life with school.
Tanisha Brice 4A
What I think about this idea is.... I like it LITTLE Bit because I would be able to keep some of the information in my HEAD that I learned before. It could beneficial because The government already don't have enough money to do other things' they even don't have enough for schools either. so How would they be able to support All YEAR ROUND SCHOOlS. Yes it would be competitive with other schools' it would be FUN...The Pro's about this Bill Is That It Would Be Good For some of the students and parents because the students would be in school during the summer. and the CON'S About the bill Is That We Don't Have Enough MONEYYYYYYYY
Period:2A Yes it would be beneficial to have school all year But Kids Hate School Well Most I Like Learning Stuff But I Need a Break If We Had School All Year Around I Think Kids Would Stop Coming To School And Yes It Would Be Nice To Compete Against Other Schools But If I Had To Go To School All Year Around I Wouldn't Drop Out I Would Go To Another County Or State Or Something plus if this happens everyone's life would be affected students teachers and parents and i don't think some of the teachers would do it because they have families and things they like and have to do.
What i think about this idea is that it is dumb because thats gonna be more money going into paying things off and other stuff. I think this will benefit because you will have more information in your head and you will be more prepared for your testes that you have to take in order to pass. The positive aspects of this bill is that the kids in the school will be more college prepared and more prepared for the SAT's and ACT's. The negative aspects of this bill is that you have to put more money in the schools and you would have to pay the teachers more. If i was to vote i would vote against the bill because you would have to pay more money and then there will only be a few billion do anything else.
Deaunte Watson
4A
okay so this year-round school option wouldn't work for me and many other people. like put your self in the position of us students and the teachers, we don't want to be in this school year-round-__-..okay like if you live far from the school your parents car isn't in working condition, your going to be late unless you can get a ride from a friend. it you have a year-round school, you have to pay more for food heating and air conditioning.
Charles Bridgeforth
4A
I think it'll be dumb if they pass the bill. I think more people would skip, drop out, and fights. Plus if it was a year-round school then it would cost more money for food, air condition, heat, and other things and since the school systems say they dont have no moeny I highly doubt they will pass it. But I could care less cuz Im going to be out of school by then.
Terrence Moore 1B
I don't like this idea about year round school. I think having school year round not going help us compete with other schools. What if your child just don't do nothing in school, you think making school longer going make your child work harder. Its all up to the child and what they put there effort in. Year round school you may learn more, but if you have students doing the same negative things everyday there is no point of wasting other students time. If you want to take an vacation, the planing is going to be hard. you learn from exploring the world and nobody want to stay in the same place all year round. I would not vote for this bill.
Rayven Jones 2A
it would a really hard competitive to go against other school's. it would be a very good thing but many students are lazy and there would be probably be a higher chance that students will drop out of school. teachers and students will have to work more.
i think that school hours shouldn't add more hours because then kids can't do any afterschool activty, and can't take a vaction i mean kids need breaks instead work hard all year round it's just a dumb idea i don't see the point passing it at all. what were they thinking. jamal hailey 2B
i think it would be nice to go too school all year long and have a two week break every nine weeks, but then again that song like a long time.i really dont care
marquis wright
period 2A
NO, reason being is well, for starters we dont have the financial resources to do so. They want us to go year round without thinking about the consequences. There are alot of possibilities of increase in drop outs and teen stress. They already dont suppport us with enough money in all schools to make a decision like this. The talk about how other schools in different countries are No.1 but lets not forget those countries use alot of there money to implement good learning skills in their schools.
Jessica Flores 1B
Its a good idea glad to see them coming with fresh ideas, but I say no. Yeaa you can learn more, better opportunities to improve grades, and having it all year around will help you not forget what you learned the previous year those are all good, but then how are we going to go on vacation, it would be draining and it would definitely mess me up from working.
I think that it would be beneficial. But i also think it wouldnt be beneficial because it means that we would have a short summer and it would mess up parents travel plans. It would be beneficial for kids education because the more we are in school, the more we learn. Kids would think they are getting out of school more. We should try and compete with other schools. I think more kids would be smarter. But we dont have the money to make schools all year around.
The last post was Aneya Dixon 3B
The last post was Aneya Dixon 3B
The bill is beneficial because if we had a all- year school year, students will be gain more knowledge. The negative thing about this is that students will not have a long summer break or no summer break and we the students will love to keep our 10 week break. The positive thing about this is that parents don't have to worry about losing all the things they learn in school. If I haad the choice to vote, i wouldn't vote because I want my 10 weeks.
I think this bill was made with good intentions but how is increasing how many days your in school gonna enhance the knowledge you require to take a test. For pg county I believe 5 days is plenty of time to be taught all the lessons the teachers have made for their classes. If students don't have time away from school it will only lead to more disobedience in school. If pg isn't competing with other schools now, do you really think two extra days is gonna make any difference? No matter how many days we have in school students need to study and actually review what they've learned on their own, you can't be in school forever.
Mary Grace Jose/1B
i believe that our country is trying to help the children to implement their learning skills but with no vacation the children, they may drop out or etc. The positive aspect about this article is probably the high tolerance the schools want for the students. Higher education is also possible. The Negative aspects is that many children are probably not willing to have school all through out the year. I know the top schools in the world have more school days then the students here but everyone has their own pace in striving for success and we should slowly do so instead of just forcing the whole thing upon itself.
Mary Grace Jose/1B
Terrell Proctor
2A
I believe that staying in school all year around is very beneficial, but that will also be bad on the students and on the teachers as well. I say this because one. many kids wouldn't want to go school in the summertime when were suppose to relax and have a great time in the sun not doing classwork in the school. And on top of that PGCPS doesn't have enough money to benefit every teacher that would be teaching all year around so that also would be a problem for teachers. So if it was me i would vote to keep it the way it is so that way kids can keep their summer and the teachers can get the money that they deserve.
3B - I think that this is a bad idea because I think a lot of people would start dropping out. They will get more frustrated and start getting in trouble more. But at the same time it could be a good thing because people that does good might graduate earlier. But in all I think it would be bad thing to do because during the summer time it would be very hot and they might start cutting school down earlier because of they might not have a air conditioner in their school. So this would be a problem because this will a million dollars a month for the school to pay off. So in all I think this is a bad idea but there can be some good attributes too.
I think it would be beneficial in making our schools more competitive with other schools around the world! the positive aspects of the bill is that all year-round school will give you the ability to gain more knowledge & to maintain it without forgetting the information. the negative aspects of the bill is that we would gain so much stress from all the work given and not having a long amount of break to relax and get back to work after the break.
In my opinion, I would veto the bill because it would put so much stress on me. I'm already on a lot of stress & to have all year-round in our school will add more stress on me. it would also prevent me from visiting my family that live all the way on the other side on the country; and I NEVER see them! this is the reason why I would veto this bill.
This has to be the only subject in the world where I would give no support whatsoever. The thought of year-long school irritates me to no end. Even more so considering only adults truly have a say in the matter. Schools around the world are already far enough ahead for us to be able to catch up regardless of what we do to our system. That's just the nature of this country. Sure students wouldn't have a chance to forget anything. But then again they wouldn't have the chance to forget anything! Here one would be thinking they can finally lay off thinking about educational matters and they discover that won't be happening because school practically never ends. Not to mention the drastic financial measures the county and some parents would have to go to. Everyone needs a break. Teachers, students, and parents alike. Year-long school is not the way to go.
Ayinde Michael 1A
I agree with Ayinde. The idea of being in school more than 180 days of the year is repulsive. However, we would probably have a higher passing rate of students. This would cut in to our already developed summer vacation. On the other hand, we would get more frequent breaks. This change could be a positive thing because if we are in school all year round like China we could possibly compare to their education system instead of being greatly below.
-Kiah Williams 1A
This could benefit us because us as students would learn more material in skool since we would have more time to. We also would probably have more people passing and making honor roll as well. The down side is that this would cut into our already short summer vacation which I personaly would not want to happen.
Anthony Franklin
4a
I think it would be beneficial because we would get out of school early. I think this would allow us to actually be competition. But I also think students would get bored and tired of school year a round. Might lose our intrest.
Deche' Neal
I firmly disagree with the idea. It could be beneficial in making our schools more competitive with others around the world but then again it could not. I think our country's education is adequate enough. Our financial status exceeds most other countries and we have prestigious people who derived here. What works for some countries does not work for all. Forcing children to attend school year round will do nothing but overwhelm them and force more drop outs and or actions in that fashion. Instead of comparing our characteristics to other countries i think we should focus more on our own. I would vote no against this foolish idea.
-Breanna Brown 1B
I disagree and agree with this idea. If we have year round school the drop out rate will be massive. I say this because a lot of students already are stressed with the work we have and the early hours we get up just to come to school. But, I also think year round school could beneficial to some when they completely forget everything during the breaks we have now.
-Donyah B 4A
I feel that we should not have school all year around because it worst of enough we get a lilttle summer break..And Kids already hate going to school, even now when we got school for atleast 10 Months; schools will be more competitive because schools will have longer sports games than it is now because of the fact that school is all year around...But I think that they shouldn't still do it because we deserve a long break ..so they should just keep like it is anad do not try to change it
William Rosier 2A
My Oppion On This Article Is That I Don't Think We Should Do It Because Most Kids My Age Allredy Don't Like School.So If They Would Happen To Ever Do Such A Thing Then Kids My Age Would Say That "Who Ever Made This Idea Is Outragious ".Then The Population Of Teens Learning Will Decrease Because Teens Would Probably Drop Out Because They Might Think They Are Not Getting A Break From School
I think this article is beneficial and then not. Some students actually need the year around studies. Do i think it is going to make them better no because they are just going to slack off more. That would make kids want to drop out of school and say they give up because this is too much. I dont even know what the board of education was thinking because i thought pgcp had the lowest scores, so their thinking this is going to better.
Oh and that also means more money and some parents dont have that
In My Personal The Only Way The Bill Would Be Beneficial If They Actually Teach Kids About The Real World. Teaching Kids About Algebra 2 And Things That Happen in 1880 Is Not Relevant In Kids Lives. Kids need to be taught to work hard in anything they do , find out how to make as much money as possible, and opening up their own business. As kids we don't need to gain more knowledge about trigonometry and ancient wars, we need more knowledge in how to be successful and make money in our lives.
I don't think a year-around school would be that beneficial.Because they are just thinking about statistics and not about if students will actually work harder because of this.We were already in a competition with other schools even before the idea of a year-around bill was thought up.So why is it any different now?
Yes it would be beneficial in making our schools more competitive with those around the world since it would give us more recognition. However the bill would cause many problems for example, the schools would need more money for supplies and basic services. For example, heating, cooling, transportation, and food services. However it is positive since people could retain the information they learn better. Also we would get more money for our recognition and help the future generations. Therefore this bill has good and bad to it.
Tariq Abdullah-2A
I dont think we should have school all year-round because, some people are not very happy about us going to school anyway and to force us to go more days than what we are supposed to is wrong. Notice that if they make school longer they percentage of dropouts will increase. Summer break is for us to get away from school and spend time with our friends. Also to get a job, The weekends is not enough time because some people play sports. Others are just loaded with losts of homework. They should really think haow much damage it could cause before they make this decision.
3B
I don't think it ll be productive to send children to school all year round. It may even increase drop-out rates. I don't think school is a competition nor do we need to worry about keeping leveled with other countries.I would vote against it I don't think this bill has any positive outcomes.
I disagree with the new plan to add more days to the pg county school systems. I don't think adding more days can help us contend with other schools because I believe adding more days will just frustrate the students. Everyone needs a break from work. Without breaks, students will probably begin to hate school and how can you work in an environment that you hate. Pg county also isn't economically fit to add more days. We can barely pay our teachers now.
i agree with the purpose of having tear round school but we need breaks as do teachers. although year round school maybe good for instruction its not good for the pockets. simply because the county does not have the money to finance this. if we going to have year round school i sure do hope we will graduate faster. after all we are going to be in school all year so i dont see why not.
marcus lindsay 2a
i wouldnt mind having school year around but sometimes we need breaks i dont mind having school for 45 days and then having 2 weeks off.But i will aslo miss my 10 week summer vacation.But overall they dont have the money to do it so im not worried about it and we wont the money to do it for a while
Michael west 4A I think wer should have more days off to relax and have time to get away from school . Thats my opinion of why , some kids forget stuff quick do they need more time to study over the weekend
They need to do this after I graduate. Although, this would be beneficial to students, because it would give them more chances to improve grades but it may put students under more pressure and cause stress because more than likely teachers will give projects while students are on break unlike summer break there is no work unless you have an AP class. I would not vote on this bill simply because the stress on students will increase and beings though I am a student I would prefer to just have a summer break and complete my AP assignments.
-2B
My Opinion About This Is That iDont Think It Would Be Benificial Because iThink It Would Put To Much Stress On Kids,School For That Long Is Not Necessary At All. The Children Might Learn Alot More And We Might Be Able To Compete With Other Schools,But Its Just Too Stressful And Parents Would Have To Find Other Times To Fit Vacation Time In.And iAlso Dont Think Pg Doesnt Have Enough Money At The Moment To Do It.
PS:If The Make School Year Round They Should Extend The Football Season.
I think this plan would propose enormous benefits to all students if this plan is implemented. Though this would not affect me as being a senior, I would have enjoyed the benefits to have been offered if implemented. From a competitive stand point a school that has an all year long schedule would be highly competitive. The U.S. has the shortest or one of the shortest school years in the world and studies have shown that during summer vacation we "lose" what we learned. Its more of a matter that having an all year-round schooling system would reinforce the material gained. But I do agree that issues would occur with this bill such as money to operate schools year-round. This involves maintaining an affordable lunch, staff, janitorial team, and other fundamental neccesities to run a school. I would vote yes because it will benefit future generations of students. As we all know the school system in the U.S is not the best. This would bring us one step closer to producing successful people.
This is the direction we are headed in anyway with our piss-poor test scores. But this will not be enacted for at least 5 years. Being in school year-round is not bad and will eventually happen anyway because we need to compare educationally globally.
DeShauna Wilson
Period.2B
I agree with the bill but at the same time i don't.I do agree because It would help kids around the world ready for the college life that's ahead of them. It's also beneficial because you would learn more in more time. I don't agree because I think that it will make the dropout rate increase. Kids already don't like to go to school that's going to give them more reason not to want to go.
I speak for myself when i say that competing with other schools would be beneficial to me bacause, i am a competitive guy and it will help me with my grades because i want my school to be the best !
It would be positive because we would learn and be able to retain more information. However, I don't think the children that are in the school system now would be able to coincide with this. We would be able to get more money in the budget if we were able to get our test scores up.
I dont think this will be benefical because students need a break from school we have lives and everyday of school is tiring and our brains wont be able to function then we will really be the last country with low graduates. Then wwe are risking money for that because it will cost more for lunches and bus transportation and alot of other stuff and what about the schools that are poor and are struggling with their bills now i totally disaggre with this bill
Raymond Flowers 1B
I think the idea is stupid to have all year round school.But yes I think it would be beneficial for our school to be competitive because some people can forget thing of what they learned because probably have tomany courses or just cant make up their mind.But if we stay in school all year i think it would help us increase our scores and probably be in top 50 schools.But negative aspects will be that we kids won't have any breaks like that would be plain boring having no breaks so yeah.-Ebo Otuya 2B
I disagree with this because if school is all year round when will we have our vacation breaks, us as students are going to get tired and need a break
Jasmine Biggs 1B
Ok yes having school all year around and competeing with schools around the world would be great. But on the other hand kids need breaks form school and teachers and things. Ok so we might not be as smart as the kids in other countries but I don't think its fair that they don't get breaks. Everyone needs a break in life and having us go to school all year round would be harsh.
I think that the plan would not be very beneficial, due to it haveing more cons then pros. Pros: a possible chance that the students scores would increase and that the student might actually learn something. Cons: all of the pros AREN'T certain, the students could be at school all day and still not learn a thing, and the students could get tired of school and just not come or revolt.
:Hunter Howard 1B:
I Say Yes And No.Yes Because Like The Article Stated If You Look At The Other Schools That Are Ranked #1 They Have Year-Round School Year! No Because 1. It Might Increase The Drop-Out Rate Because Some Kids Don't Even Wanna Go School Now Imagine If We Have Year Round! Also They Even Said That They Don't Have The Money For It!!!!
-Kayla Faulk:3B
I think this is a bad idea even though we would get 15 days off students don't want to go to school during the summer and I feel as though we go to school enough already. In terms of competition of schools I think it would make are schools more competitive. It would be about being and staying on top. It would help us bear other schools around the country or the world. A positive would be that our test scores would increase and that we would have more knowledge. A negative thing would be that we wouldn't have our full breaks that we normally would get. If I had to give my vote I would vote NO!!!!
I believe that having school year round would just be a waste. They say that the money is not available so when the money does come just spend it on something else. If the officials choose to pass the bill it would just make the students that are use to something get more tired and end up not wanting to be in school at all. It would be beneficial that we get the chance to compete with other students in the world. What would happen to the kids that cant pass school then would they still have summer school available ?
Tangier May 3B
i think it would be beneficial but at the same time i feel that if the students work habits are not changed then it would be a waste of time. in order for this to work a change has to be made. otherwise it will be a waste.
marques malone
I belive that this idea is dumb. Some of us have jobs and work during the summer. This idea is another one of the stupid idea's that the PGCPS have come up with. how about they start in making the school eviroment safer. then they can start changing thigs like that. It really is crazy instead of working straight forward these clowns are working in reverse. they've got other problems to deal with then wondering if they should extend school or not. I just think that its going to be another blunder but what do I know I'm just a kid.
Taj Tobin-3B
I believe that this idea can beneficial but at the same time be bad.If school was all year round i think we would learn more. We would also be more competitive too because we would be learning more.The bad thing about it is that students need breaks.So i think it would be problems with attendance.
Cainan Garrison 1A
I Think That We Should Not Have School All Year Round , i THink The Way The School System Is , Is Just Fine. We Suffenciantly Learn At School Already So Why Should They Change The Way We Learn That Would Make No Since.
Marquis Anbaz 2B
In my opinion i think this is not a good idea because some kids dont like school already and they skip school and classes and having school to be year rounded will start to have kids drop out of school and skip more. Also it would increase transportation, waste gas more,more food service and heating and cooling costs, it may be beneficial because kids would retain more and learn a whole more but it might be to much taught to the cause and makes it alot more to study. And that would also disrupt family vacations and going to work and you would be alot more stressful and it would not be beneficial to make our schools more competative with schools around the world because of course people who have school year round will definitely rank higher than us who don't go year around but go weekly.
no it would not be benefical because alot of students are struggling now and having a hard time passing so if they make school year round students are really going to be failing and very tired and they arent looking at no end to the school year because thier will be none so i think they should not do this KEVIN HOLSTON 2B
I personally feel that if kids had to atend school all year round it would increase the rate of dropouts beacause students may become overwelmed.Although having school all year round would be a great idea to give us extended learning hours and may possibly raise test scores It might not well suit lots of kids throughout Prince Georges County.
Karisa Johnson 4A
jibraun whitley 2A
i think that our gov. is to worried about moving up the world educaion list and should get more worried about the economy and nation security issues because these are the two major things to me that will be the bringing down of our country. just because they make school year around doesnt mean the education levels will go up. people will get tired and bored of school and this will make tension between students and teachers very hectick.
I think this idea is good and bad. I lost a lot of friends to prison during the summer. I feel that if we were in school the place they were at when they were arrested they wouldn't have been because they would have been in school. I think its a bad idea because kids will soon get so sick of school they will begin to skip more classes and whole school days. Focus will be less guaranteed because os the mental fatigue and lack of a summer break. All in all I would vote against the bill I feel that the kids in p.g. are so adjusted to their way of life that it would be merely impossible to make it work. For example kids still dont wear the proper uniform and we have been wearing them since middle school.
Post a Comment