Check School Announcements at: http://friendlyhsdailyannouncements.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Catching Up!

Here are some pretty significant events that took place this summer while we were enjoying our break. Feel free to share your feelings, thoughts, opinions, questions, etc. PLEASE feel free to add any other articles or events that you think I or anyone else would find interesting as well.



Utoya Island, where a Norweigan man opened fire on a camp for teens.

In July a man from Norway bombed a building in the Capitol city, Oslo, and then went on a shooting spree at a camp for teens that was sponsored by political power that currently holds power. What do you think makes people do things like this?? Should he be treated for some type of mental illness or convicted as a regular criminal? How would you feel if you were one of these kids, can you imagine watching as your friends are being shot all around you?
Teens Witnessed, Survived Norway Attack





Throughout the summer you most likely heard about the internal war going on in the U.S. Congress as they attempted to decide how best to compensate for the lack of funds in the U.S. budget. We came very close to defaulting, which means the U.S. wouldn't have paid ALL of our bills. This includes loan payments that we owe to other countries as well as money that we promise to our own citizens such as welfare, social security, and unemployment checks. Explain how you think a default on the nataional level would affect local communities like Fort Washington. Why do you think Congress had such a hard time agreeing on a plan? Would you blam one political party more than the other, WHY?? (Maybe give us the link to an article that supports your opinion!) How do you think other counties view the U.S. and our government after this issue? What would YOU suggest we do to fix it, raise taxes, borrow more, or give citizens less?? WHY!
What IS the Debt Crisis??
U.S. Debt Plan Crisis





In July New York became the 6th state to perform and recognize gay marriages. Hundreds and thousands of couples rushed out to marry, many of them had been dating for years and years. This is a topic that has come up in most states and is being discussed more and more as we continue into the 21st century. Can you compare the fight for gay rights to the fight for African American Civil Rights? Or to the fight for Women's Equality?
Gay Marriage Legalized in New York

Ready, Set, Discuss!! Please remember to make sure that you are respectful of each others' opinions. It is always acceptable to agree to disagree. Remember also to use words and terms that are school appropriate. I will be reading all comments and checking all links posted in order to ensure that I give you proper credit.

Mrs. Reynolds

31 comments:

Pretty.Boy.Millionaire☆ said...

1st Article Camp Killing!!

What do you think makes people do things like this? Well i believe that what makes people do things like that is because of all this violence i believe that is on T.V and all the movies, so you have people trying to imitate what they see from the movies and try to be like them. But also i beieve it can just from insanity or something tragic that happen to them or in their life or life time that they never got over or just believe that was the cause of it. But There just Crazy!! if you ask me. But to be Of something in this type of matter, i think that either he was a man of politics and something did go right that he believed should have or something that was passed or voted that he felt was not a good idea or wasn't a good idea for him in his mind. And the reason i say this is because why out of all people in the world you go a shooting spree at a camp for teens that was sponsored by political power that currently holds power. Now that just sounds like a voter mad at the politics about passing something or taking out something or just because it was a brive for money and they did not corporate so he killed all of the teens there. But to me that sounds like a mad VOTER!!

Should he be treated for some type of mental illness or convicted as a regular criminal?
Yes And Yes I believe that they should question him about why he had done because it seems like he did that in spite of what the politicians have done. I'm not saying he was right for doing so but i think he had a reason and a plan for why? and for what? he did that for. But I still think that he should be giving time for that because he had killed innocent people but i know their had to be something behind all the trouble.

How would you feel if you were one of these kids, can you imagine watching as your friends are being shot all around you? I would think that he has to be a very MAD VOTER!! and that he had to be the must crazies man i have ever known And if i was not in by their when he had my friends if i could help them in a way that i could still be alive i would but if i can't i would just call for help and then hide somewhere there on in the water!! :)

Pretty.Boy.Millionaire☆ said...

2Nd Article Money Probelms

The US government is deeply in debt Like more than 14 trillion dollars and it borrows to meet its debt obligations every month. There are usually more than enough people willing to lend the US government money because it is seen as a very safe investment.

What is not normal is that for the first time a substantial number of Republican lawmakers are not willing to allow the additional borrowing unless huge spending cuts without tax increases are agreed on. They have the power to force spending cuts because of what is called the "debt ceiling".

In the past, whenever the debt ceiling was reached, Congress simply voted to increase it. That has happened dozens of times in the past without problems, but not this time.

The last election brought a large group of new Republican lawmakers into the US House of Representatives who were committed to forcing the government into balancing its budget. They are refusing to support raising the debt ceiling unless their demands are met. Since the Republicans control the House of Representatives, this threat has been taken very seriously.

So because if the debt ceiling is not raised very quickly, the US Treasury Department will run out of money and it will not be able to pay its bills. This could result in financial panic throughout the world, because so many people around the world either receive payments from the US government or have lent it money.

Pretty.Boy.Millionaire☆ said...

How do you think other counties view the U.S. and our government after this issue?
I think them believe that we can't pay up. And that we are borrowers that can not pay back the money and that we are so in debt they just stop helping us. And so they probably believe that our government is probably weak and broke.


What would YOU suggest we do to fix it, raise taxes, borrow more, or give citizens less?? WHY!
They all sound like very good ideas but Why? raise taxes to that people with working jobs that were force to help out even if they did not want to. But they have been paying for taxes and things faithly and when you did raise a second time the working people had to pay it again! again! again! And we can't borrow money because no other country is willing to lend us money because now they know we can't be trusted to paid it back. So i believe we start to cutDown on all that financial Aid Because that's just giving people that don't deserve it and are not willing to find or attempt to find a job when they can get back on their own two feet. I Say to start cutting there and maybe the people would know that, that assents is not going to keep giving out all this free money. They are going to have to start working and trying to get back on their feet now.

Sabrea Barnett said...

Camp Killing:
I feel that things like these can be from a mental illness but most time the person knows what their doing. Usually the person reacts before thinking and then realizes what they have done after the fact. Killings like these are more likely to occur because something have happened in the past and then they think about what happened, then they take it out on the people around them. So, my opinion is that the person should be treated as a criminal because, who knows? The person might just do it again.

Sabrea Barnett said...

2nd article:
Gay Marriage Legalized in New York:
I am the type of person that DO NOT agree with gay marriages for many reasons, religious purposes & for my own personal reasoning. I dont that it is right. Yes i can compare gay rights to African American rights, because I guess that everyone deserves to be happy. I say this because in the African American civil rights we wanted freedom, so my opinion is that Gay people deserve to be free and do what they want to also. I dont approve of gay marriages but i guess everyone deserve to be with that particular person that they love, as the same for women's equality.
Thank You =)

Tiffany Sherylle said...

The question with the whole "debit" problem is who and how are we going to raise the money , are we going to raise taxes ? Charge the rich or the poor ? Or simply cut down on money based needs like well fare , summer school , and health care issues . I agree with Jason , but not on everything. Cutting down on financial aid will do nothing but make this country even more poor, I think we should cut down but not cut off. Some people need the extra financial aid , like well fare. But then at the same time some programs like summer school can be cut down , because if you were doing what was needed to be done during school then you wouldnt need summer school .

ChristianJohnson2BContinued said...

Legalization Of Gay Marriage:
I cannot compare the plight of gays to obtaining marriage rights to the plight of women and African-Americans to obtaining civil rights and rights that should be guarenteed to every human being. Being able to get married is a privilege and is already legal in six different states. As a matter of fact, I'm sick of seeing "gay" this and "gay" that everywhere. No matter where you go there is no escape from it. African-Americans and women fought for basic rights that are granted to every citizen in this country under the constitution, such as voting, and being able to get jobs caucasian people were getting easily. African-Americans were being killed and died for the cause, since when has a gay man died for wanting to be married? Never. I'm not one to say being gay is morally wrong but gays are quick to oppose those who are heterosexual. Well, being gay has always been between a man and a woman so why would you want to all of a sudden act like them? I know times are different as well as people but this is one subject that is not by any means comparible and one I will not support.

Anonymous said...

They are similar because they are fighting for freedom, equality, and justice, and fair treatment . They all have been discriminated against based on race, sexuality, or gender. They have been beaten and killed based on there fight for justice. All groups had sought help from legislators .


Deche' Neal
4th period aday

Anonymous said...

I think he should be treated as a criminal because if he was treated like someone with a illness then he could eventually be set free from the hospital. That would give him space and opportunity to kill more people. I could not imagine being in those kids shoes, watching as one of my friends get shoot.


Deche Neal
4 period

Doria Jefferson said...

Teens Witnessed, Survived Norway Attack
Doria Jefferson 4(A)

I think he should be treated as a criminal also because he has done a criminal act more than once, and to me when he does it more than once he'll do it again. Also he should receive punishment for doing so like when they say "cant do the time, dont do the crime". He should have known the consequences that were going to be put upon him for his actions.

Gay Marriage Legalized in New York
My opinion is you cant really compare those to because yes their similar but then again completely different. The civil rights movement didn't only help African-Americans but it also helped other races too. Racism is wrong because one your cant separate people because the color of their skin and two God made different skin color,accents, hair colors, eye colors for a purpose. Yes it should be a right for homosexual people to get married but its also a privilege for them to get married. The civil rights movement lead to many outcomes that helps the world today. Yes racism is still out there but those are just people who are delusional and cares so much about their pride they dont care about any changes.

marquis said...

I think he should tested to see if he has an illness if not then he should be treated as a criminal.

Them making gay marriage legal is okay because it doesnt bother me and they should be able to get married because thats all apart of our freedom

Marquis Wright
Period 2a

Na'Teia said...

I think the same thing a marquis wright the should be able to get married if they are happy.

(Na'Teia Johnson 2A)

Ayanna Johnson 4A said...

I think there should be same sex marriage should be permitted because its what makes them happy.

Kelly said...

Norway bombing:
I feel like the guy should've had therapy or maybe even anger management classes(?) if he went waaaay too far with things, I would just throw him in jail.

legalized gay marrige:
congradulations! I mean, there's nothing wrong with that! :D a couple is a couple! you can't change a person from gay/les/bi to straight! LET THE PERSON BE WHAT HE/SHE WANTS TO BE! it's called freewill. ahaha!

Anonymous said...

Lyric Freeman 2A Yes I Think You Can Compare It To That You ARE Fighting For Something You Believe In like Blacks Fought For Equality To Be Treated Like A Regular Individual Gays Fight For Their Beliefs In Liking The Same Sex We Should Not Be Discriminated Against And I Don't Think That's Right And I Have No Problem With Gay People You Like What You Like And If You Cant Except It Then Oh Well Your a Hater Like The Teacher In School That's a Man But Dresses Like a Lady I Mean Yes I Think It's a Distraction To Students But So Wont You Cant Not Hire Him Because He's Like That And You Cant Fire Him Because Of That You Cannot Discriminate Against Him If He/She Wants To Be a Girl Then Why Not I Love Being a Girl I Don't See Why Anyone Else Wouldn't Like It Either So That's What I Think!

Anonymous said...

I believe that its their decision on how they feel about thiershelves and their mate. It doesnt really matter to me unless they get other privelegies than others. Like new rules that are just for them not for others. Plus it doesnt matter to me ethier because its not like their gunna go to heaven so that their decision not ours let them live their life......


-Terrell Proctor
Period: 2A

JustycHicks said...

In My Opinion, I Feel As Though Womens Equality And The Rights For Gay Marriage Are Alike In Many Ways, Such As: People Not Having The Freedom To Do What They Want Because Of Being Descriminated By Other People. You Cant Control What SomeOne Wants To Be As A Person. There Is Nothing Wrong With Gay Marriage Because Everybody Has Freewill And Can Do What They Want To Because America is A Free Country.
Period : 2a

Edith Gonzalez said...

i feel that he most have mental problems because of the tragedy he just did. i would be scare and shock seeing all my friends being shot because of a crazy stranger.

the gay marriage i really dont know what to say or feel about that because i dont feel is right to judge others i feel that only god knows what is right i can only hope for them to be happy:)

Angel Johnson 4A said...

I feel sorry for those who lost their lives during the rampage. This article shows that everyone isn't going to do the right thing and there are still many tragedies going on around the world.
My thoughts on the gay marriage article are its a little late to give gay people there right to marriage but i'm happy it shows that America is slowly starting to become more diverse and excepting.

Amber Hackley 1B said...

What do you think makes people do things like this??

I don't think anything makes people do things like this. everyone in the world is different so there isn't one specific thing that makes them do crazy things. many people like this have mental issues stemming from family history,substance abuse, stress levels and many other things.

Should he be treated for some type of mental illness or convicted as a regular criminal?

i think he should be treated for a mental disorder because this wasn't an act of anger.He had no grudge against any of the victims it was just an outburst of violence.

How would you feel if you were one of these kids, can you imagine watching as your friends are being shot all around you?

i dont think i would have sat there because i am a very protective person. i would have done anything possible to stop him even if it meant i lose my life.

Anonymous said...

1st Article

Now this guy is crazy first he bombed a building then went on a camp killing spree. Now if you if you don't agree on something you should speak up but, not go kill people. i can't even imagine something like that. My prayers go out to the family that lost their child that cruel day

Anonymous said...

3rd Article

I wouldn't approved something like this but, it don't matter to me how other people feel about someone the same sex. In the Bible it a abomination for the same sex to be in the same bed but that my opinion.

Maurice Nicholson 3B

Anonymous said...

I think it's very good that they legalized gay marriage. I think that everyone should have the right to marry someone they love and sure people might judge them for that but, they would stand tall together and be happy forever. Montoya O. 3B

Anonymous said...

Well i believe that the man in the Norway bombing was mentally ill and he had no control. I say this because if this man killed about one hundred people with no remorse and no regard for a humans life he must be crazy. I couldn't kill one person and not feel bad or sorry for it but this man killed about one hundred and didn't really shed a tear for those people. I still believe he deserves to be punished but i also think he is mentally ill

Emmanuel Williams [YOUR FAVORITE RETURNER] 3B

Anonymous said...

I respectfully agree with (Montoya O. 3B) because every has a right to love who they chose to love. I cant judge someone based on who they want to be with I can only give an opinion about whether I necessarily agree with it or not but I cant say "no you cant get married because your a homosexual couple. But people are made different. I don't mind gay marriage as long as they keep their sex life confidential because to me no o fence to the homosexuals but i don't like hearing about he good he/she was in bed or on the table or on the counter top i believe that should be kept private.

Anonymous said...

Khadijah Tyler 1B

Yes i agree you can compare Gay marriages to African American civil Rights and Women's equality because all of these people are fighting for the same thing EQUALITY.. I personally agree with same sex marriages these people have the right to live there lives any way they choose. Many people fought for equal rights and why cant we all be equal

Stephan Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephan Taylor said...

I do NOT believe you can compare the struggle of gay marriages to the African American Civil Rights Movement. I think that one simple reason they are incomparable because in the Civil Rights Movement, blacks were hated and mistreated because of the color of their skin. The color of you skin is something you are born with and something you cant naturally do to change it. The color of your skin is out of your hands but on the other hand I believe being Gay isn't something you're born with. I think it's something you grow into, just like a fetish. -Stephan Taylor 1A

Julius Bradley 1A said...

I think that you can compare gay rights to the civil rights movement and womens rights in many ways. But the most important way you can compare these three struggles is the fact that each and everyone of Americas citizens has the right to speech and expression of self. As it is written in the bill of rights. so to say two people cannot be married because of their gender is no different then telling a black man he cant sit in a certain seat because he is black, or telling a woman she cant get a job because its a mans job.They are all wrong in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Phillip Moore 1B
i say yes you can compare gay rights to african-american rights and womens rights because its still a form of discrimination weather its dealing with race or gender. But either way it goes these people are still gon prefer whatever they prefer regardless of laws. so might as well get it legalized and stop drama

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how I feel on this topic.I'm a Christian so I believe that same sex marriage is a sin and shouldn't happen,but on the other hand I believe if that certain person makes you happy, you should be together. -Gear Moore 2A